“Beautiful Older Inn”
Review of Federal Crest Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lynchburg
Federal Crest Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Lynchburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 March 2017

If you are looking for a very quiet Inn, this Inn is for you. If you like very attentive Inn Keepers, this Inn is for you. If you are looking for modern amenities, this Inn may not be for you. The house is beautiful. The owners are very nice and helpful. They gave us some orange juice so we could make mimosas to celebrate our anniversary. I had a headache the next morning-maybe from the mimosas and Ann supplied requested Advil. We also bumped into them downtown while admiring the Methodist Church and Ann took us for a quick tour of the church. The churches in Lynchburg are gorgeous. The owners gave us great suggestions. We really enjoyed our room. The Magnolia Room. It had a nice fireplace and a separate sunporch sitting area that we really enjoyed. The sunporch gave the room added privacy. It was such a quiet Inn that I felt like everyone could hear us talking but the sunroom was set off the main room and had a door so it was very private. I wish there had been a settee or a chaise lounge on the porch and not wicker furniture. Breakfast was very nice. It is at a set time and all the guests eat together. Ann is an artist and her artwork is all throughout the house even on the guest room water glasses! Very nice extra touch.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Magnolia Room and enjoyed the added privacy of the sunroom and the view of the gard...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Beautiful Inn with very gracious Hosts. Phil and Ann were very pleasant and helpful. We stayed three nights and we were very pleased! She had fresh baked cookies ready for us on our arrival. The breakfast each morning was very delicious and excellently presented. Our visit was during the Christmas holidays and the house was beautifully decorated! Not only is Ann a great cook, she is a great painter and we purchased some wine glasses from her that she had hand painted. We will always treasure these and remember our stay at Federal Crest Inn when we drink out of them. The location was very convenient to downtown Lynchburg.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

The owners were the best we have encountered in our stays at b and b's!!! Not only were they very gracious and accommodating to our whole family but their home was beautiful and the breakfast was amazing!!! I highly recommend!!!!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2016

I wish TripAdvisor would let you rate halves; if I could, I would rate this a 3.5/5. Here is why:

My wife and I came down here for a quick weekend getaway. Lynchburg is close to a few really cool historical and natural sights, so it made sense. When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by the proprietor and she gave us the lay of the land. The house is beautiful and seemed cozy and warm. So far, so good. We brought our things up and retreated to our room for awhile. The room was generally clean, but the particulars had been ignored (i.e. dust on the mantles, corners, etc.). The furniture in the room looked used, e.g., one of the chairs in the room looked like it was nearly threadbare and had met the back of several hundred heads of hair. The fireplace was operable and provided a great deal of warmth (probably the best of part of the room). The bed was clean, well made, and relatively comfortable. Overall, good but nothing to write home about.

About an hour and a half later, we left to grab some dinner and see the town. When we came back, the room was straightened up, and items had been moved. This was a bit unnerving for my wife and me because we assumed we (and our belongings) would be given privacy until we checked out or indicated that we wanted the room cleaned. Apparently, we were mistaken. My wife was so incensed that we nearly left immediately, but I assumed that our hosts merely wanted to ensure that the room was tidied for out comfort. Since we were unsure about securing other accommodations, we decided to stay. Eventually, we calmed down and the rest of the evening passed without incident.

The next morning, we went down to breakfast. Breakfast was served at two tables, with the other guests in the house. The food itself was pretty good (I am not a fan of large breakfasts, but my wife enjoys them). Our other host, an older gentlemen, led the 'activities' of the morning, which included pulling a slip of paper out of a muffin with some sort of trite quotation, and then interrogating everyone about their plans for the day. Other reviewers have claimed that they were similarly interrogated or lectured about morals, politics, local history, etc. While this did not happen (our hosts did say that they had a family engagement to attend to that day), I would not have been surprised if, having more time, he would have done the same to us. He was legitimately helpful in several areas, and clearly had a great deal of knowledge about the town and surrounding attractions and sites, so our interactions with him were not a complete waste.

Overall, I am not sure what to think about the Federal Crest Inn. I have been to a couple of B & B's that I can safely say I would return to the town they were in to stay there again. Were we to find ourselves in Lynchburg again needing a place to stay for the night, and my wife and I could get a room for a reasonable price, perhaps we would stay again. I am just not sure I would return to Lynchburg to stay at the Federal Crest Inn.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JM1186
Reviewed 20 October 2016

My husband and I spent two days in this lovely inn. The host and hostess, Phil and Ann, were very welcoming. Breakfasts were delicious and beautifully prepared. Our suite, Blue Spruce, was very comfortable. The location was very convenient to downtown Lynchburg. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple