“Glad that we returned to see the Park”

New Market State Historical Park
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in New Market
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We had checked the AAA booklet and the museum/park was highly rated. We were looking forward to the movie and the displays in the museum and the Bushong Farm. Well....wish we had checked here before we went. We were taken in by the signs at the museum that is along the same road. We went to that museum and were mystified at the displays that were not as the AAA booklet had described. We asked the curator at the desk about the movie and he said we couldn't believe all the info in the guidebook...when I asked if we should then continue down the road, he said there wasn't much down there except a couple of markers. So...we stupidly didn't go! We were in the area for an entire week and later I found a brochure for this wonderful museum. People, please drive by the other museum and visit this beautiful and educational park. The main building is excellent with wonderful displays that offer insights into to the people who were in the area back during the Civil War. A display of the various battle sites offered thorough information with both visual and audio methods.
The movie, The Battle of Lost Shoes, was excellent, and then you are able to visit the farm and fields where it occurred. It was the last successful battle of the Confederacy, I think, and the movie explained it all. Cadets from VMI were enlisted to fight.
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit and recommend it to anyone in the Shenandoah Valley. We saw everything in about two hours. The gift shop at the museum is excellent. Vacationers can easily find it because it is right off Rt. I-81, at New Market. In fact, the Battle Ground is on either side of the highway with an underpass to walk through it one wants to visit the other side!

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"field"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 9 September 2011

Having read previous reviews about this attraction I was suitably warned about the private attraction nearer the Highway and I can confirm that it seems to go out of its way to appear to be an official visitors' site. The simple fact to remember is that the official site is the second one from the highway and is signposted as the "state" park. It is also far less "garish" than the private enterprise!

The visitor centre is very impressive and the film in the theatre gives a superb account of the battle. If you have time I would certainly recommend viewing the film as it makes the rest of the visit more real and poignant.

The visitor centre museum is also well worth a visit, as is the farm and outbuildings at the edge of the field.

2  Thank johnhouston2
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Went here recently with my husband and two year old daughter. Did not watch the film in the museum (life with a two year old in tow!) but we did enjoy the exhibits and walking around the battlefield and farm. Very crazy to think about how the battle unfolded while you're walking through the fields where it was fought.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

Interesting and poignant. Tells the story of cadets who were called up to take part in the battle. After walking around the site I got a good feel for how the battle developed.
BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET LURED INTO THE MILITARY MUSEUM TO BUY YOUR TICKETS. IT IS A CON!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Includes the Hall of Valor museum operated by the Virginia Military Institute Alumni Association and the Bushong Farm. Site of the civil war Battle of New Market where the Cadet Corps (student body) helped defeat a superior Federal force in 1864. Excellent film. Tour of farmstead. Modest admission charge for non-almuni/family. Very convenient to I-81 exit 264. Picnic tables or find lunch in the charming village of New Market opposite side of I-81. After lunch, Luray Caverns is 30 min to the east.