“Paper thin walls. Would NOT recommend.”

Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Rocklin, California
“Paper thin walls. Would NOT recommend.”
Reviewed 30 March 2011

My husband and I booked a room for 7 nights, however only stayed a couple hours before checking out. Upon arrival we got placed on the 1st floor (supposed to be an upgraded room from the Standard rooms available on 2nd and 3rd floor). The room was non-smoking, however, the top sheet smelled of cig. smoke. We decided to take a nap when we checked in at 330pm, and by 430pm we were up and so frustrated that we could hear EVERYTHING from all 3 of our neighboring rooms - talking, thumps, footsteps...etc. The walls were so thin we could lay on the bed and hear complete conversations at a normal volume from the other rooms. We were fed up and quickly decided that we did not want to stay there any longer. We went to the front desk to check out, we were told that we could be refunded for 6 nights but were going to be charged in full for the 1 night, even though we were checking out just a couple hours after being there. The nightly price even jumped up to a regular rate rather than the extended stay lower rate ($40 dollars more than originally quoted per night). We contemplated staying and not wasting the money to pay for another hotel...however, we decided to leave that place since we were not pleased with how the manager handled us and still made us pay for a full night. We wanted to be in a relaxing room and knew listening to all of our neighbors we were not going to get that because of the paper thin walls. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rbins18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 16 October 2010

We were relocating to the area and needed a place for us and our animals. The price was good but otherwise the location was not. If you get there after the office has closed you have to call the night manager on a special phone and they did not answer and we had to try several times to reach them. The room itself was clean but tiny and we did not feel very safe. This hotel has many permanent residents who were friendly but gave the hotel a different atmosphere. Clean yes, Safe no. Would not recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tiggertoo1111

Travellers are raving about these Newport News hotels

Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed 31 May 2010

The moment that I pulled up to the room I was being wathced by hotel guests as if they were waiting to see what I was placing into the unit. Also there was a suspicious vehicle that circled the building multiple times that was filled with adult males. One of the men got out, ran up to a room handed something to a resident and then took off. There were also several non-residents that were throughout the property as well as a vehicle in a parking stall that didn't not have wheels and was on wooden blocks.

Outdated, single serve coffee pot, cheap silverware, toilet seat had what appeard to be dog bite marks on it. Bed was horribly uncomfortable ...

I ended up calling over 10 different long-term type stay hotels just to get out ASAP. Finally I had to rent a hotel for a night and then move again to a MUCH SAFER and CLEANER TownePlace Suites Marriott.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank technoranger
New York
Reviewed 28 January 2009

I checked in late at night with my teenage son. I was totally creeped out by the front desk staff. I was scared to death to travel to the elevator that led to my room. I was happy to have someone with me being a woman. The elevator sounded like it was getting stuck as it made its way up the shaft. And as if I thought things couldn't get worse, I entered the room. Another smoke filled funky room. I was scared to sleep on the bed and considered sleeping in the car. I was so happy my stay would only be for a few hours. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN....even if I was desperate. This was the WORSE.

• Liked — I liked leaving the place
  • Disliked — Everything about the place was horrible.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MsOntheMove
Newport News
Reviewed 18 June 2007

I am currently staying in this Extended Stay. If my company hadn't paid for the room I wouldn't be staying here. All of the other complaints I have seen from others have not been in vain:

1) Smelled like smoking room upon arrival.even though door says non-smoking.
2) Sheets won't stay on bed. Not to mention nasty stains on the covers.
3) Can't beg enough for them to clean the room once a week like they are supposed to. I finally gave in and asked the front desk for some help.
4) Bring slippers for walking on nasty floors. Catapillers are a constant threat.
5) Air Conditioner is so loud it will wake you up with the knocking.
6) TV is small and won't go below half volume so talking on the phone with the tv on is hard.

You get the picture. It is worth paying double or triple to stay in a halfway decent place, unless you are big on a camping type atmosphere.

• Liked — Internet Access
  • Disliked — Not enough water pressure in sink. Had to use kitchen sink to shave/brush teeth
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank extend666