“Beautifully presented meals, lacking in taste.”
Review of 456 Fish

456 Fish
Reserve with OpenTable
456 Fish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 847 Restaurants in Norfolk
Price range: US$23 - US$48
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: 456 Fish offers a wide variety of Seafood, steaks, chicken and pork. Only the freshest ingredients are used.
Reviewed 6 June 2018

At least that is what I thought of the "Shrimp and Grits" dinner I ordered. It looked great but lacked seasoning, needed some salt and a little Old Bay. Grits "cake" was dry, and the shrimp still had the tails on them which made them a little difficult to eat. It certainly was not worth $27.00. To many good restaurants here to go to rather than spend big money for a pretty dish. No draft beers.

1  Thank David W

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

On 4/28/2018 I placed an online order of the seafood pasta. Taste was OK but in menu it said crab and I got none and portion was like a appetizer.... for $30 + not happy

2  Thank Sahawkansson
Reviewed 23 April 2018

What a shame that one rude hostess can spoil what otherwise was a very pleasant meal with good food and service. I arrived about 15 minutes early for my reservation, ( a reservation I made a month in advanced, the restaurant had called the day before and left a message confirming the reservation and asking me to call back and confirm, I called back the day of the reservation and again confirmed I would see them that night) and gave the hostess my name- the hostess insisted I did not have a reservation, I said I did and had just spoke to you (meaning the restaurant) a few hours ago her response "I just got here so you couldn't have spoke to me". I said well I spoke to someone here and your restaurant also called me yesterday confirming. Still not getting a table or smile from her, I showed her my email reservation confirmation from Open Table- she was not impressed nor going to seat me. Still insisting I did not have a reservation. This went on for several minutes, as I was about to walk out and call the party I was meeting to tell them we would have to go elsewhere she says "oh wait the other party in here already". No apology or anything for upsetting me or her lack of warm greeting or her being completely wrong about my reservation. She did still was not seating me and finally, I walked myself to the table where my party was siting, had a lovely waitress and very nice meal. As we left, all we revived was a sneer from the hostess not a thank you come again. We have been a loyal customer here for many years but probably won't return. Felt very unwelcome.

3  Thank CruiseGirl2
Reviewed 19 March 2018

My wife and I went on a Wednesday night. We were seated right away and I liked the atmosphere of the place - lots of style. The menu offered lots of nice options. We shared the excellent crab soup. I saw a previous review complaining about the lack of crab in the soup. Our experience was the opposite - lots of big tasty chunks of crab. We also had fried oysters. I could have eaten a ton of them. We also shared a hot tasty piece of rockfish - right off the stove. Our waiter was one of the best I have ever had - friendly and courteous without being all over you. Our dessert was the flourless chocolate cake. I thought the chef did a nice job of making it chocolatey and light, without being too dense or cloyingly sweet.

1  Thank Jock W
RZ R, Public Relations Manager at 456 Fish, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave us your kind words, much appreciated. I am happy to hear that our guests are enjoying our new menu items as much as we are! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 15 March 2018

Our family of 4 adults recently made a reservation at 456 Fish on a night when there was a play at the nearby Chrysler Hall. We had 2 hours to eat before attending the play, but had to leave without finishing our dinner because the service was so slow. We waited over an hour for our meal which was definitely nothing more than ordinary. Food did not have much taste and one meal was not cooked thoroughly. We have eaten here previously and were pleased but this restaurant is on a down hill slide and we will not return. Very expensive for the quality of food.

3  Thank brenda k
RZ R, Guest Relations Manager at 456 Fish, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

We are certainly disappointed to hear of this. This is not the typical feedback we receive from our guests and I do feel that if you decide to give us another chance, you will find that your last experience was the exception to the rule. As you stated, this is not what you have experienced before and one "off night" is not a sign of what is typical. Any time you choose to dine with us, never hesitate to ask to speak with a manager to express any concerns you have. I deeply apologize that we failed to impress.

Been to 456 Fish? Share your experiences!