“Another couple of very good meals here”
Review of The Orchard

The Orchard
Ranked #67 of 171 Restaurants in Horsham
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Friendly staff, even if overstretched. Pretty good service. Great menu. Lovely home cooked food. Modest interior to restaurant. Good value for money.

1  Thank Richard L

Reviewed 5 April 2017

Stopped here whilst on a walk following the Downs Link path. The day was lovely so sat in the garden and ordered a Panini. Food was really prompt and good quality.

1  Thank Simon B
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

My mum and I called in this restaurant for the first and last time during a trip from Kent to Arundel. On arrival it was more like entering a cake sale at the Woman's Institute and we were shown to a table which was dirty and tatty. We were given the specials board which was basically all fish dishes and decided on reading the menu which we thought was over priced for such a dive, decided on an afternoon tea. The service was slow and a pot of very weak tea arrived approximately 20 minutes before the food. The afternoon tea consist of one round of
sandwiches,one scone with butter only and one slice of cake with a pot of tea for one costing nearly £11.00 per person. The choice of sandwich filling was poor and the crusts were extremely tough. The scones were dry and hard and we informed the waitress of this who provided a replacement which was just as disgusting and inedible. Both the carrot cake and chocolate cake were dry and stale. The portion of chips we ordered never arrived and we were charged for these. I reluctantly paid for this awful experience and was extremely surprised at the waitress and chef's attitude when we complained about the very poor standard of food and hygiene observed. I'm not surprised the place was virtually empty. Save your money and health and buy a supermarket meal deal instead of attempting this joke of an afternoon tea.

3  Thank ashfordstephanie1
Reviewed 25 February 2017

Good selection on the menu and specials board, but maybe this is where the problem lay. Refine the menu and focus on the quality not quantity.
Lovely young waiter, who left us to chat and didn't rush or hover.
The food was poor, I had chicken and leek pie, the filling may have been very nice, but such thick pastry that you wouldn't know. Mash potato definitely home made with a desperate need to be mashed, more lumps than soft and fluffy. The veg plentiful and served separate, but I have never been served yellowing broccoli ( that's the sort of thing you do at home when you don't want to throw out the veg that's lurked in the fridge a day or two too long.) The quiche, seemed to go down well and the chips nice and chunky.
Dessert, the treacle tart lacked the balance of sweetness with the citrus cutting through, far too much of the breadcrumb filling detracting from the sweet gooiness you expect. My pannacotta, was served with sliced strawberries, but would have smashed the window if I had thrown it- tip for chef go easy on the gelatine, definitely not a pannacotta with a wobble.
I like the idea of 2 sizes of meals offered.
Enjoyable evening due to the company not the food.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

Not a local girl serving us but she took great care at writing everything down and cross checking our orders; so everything was correct ;and as the meal went on she kept popping back to ask if everything was OK. The menu is a good starting place because the main courses are available in two sizes. Particularly older folk do not necessarily want a plate FULL of food and we were all happy on the smaller versions of our food. Two soups (and lots of other things + a specials board) were on offer and all three of us went for the leek and potato soup which surprised us all because instead of just being a whizzed up soup it was effectively a bowl of pieces of leek and potato in a soup; very much a home made offering and very good too. The three main course were all very satisfactory and tasty too. I was less happy than others with my lasagne being served with a salad - but I'm not a saladlover anyway. One quiche came with salad but the sausages came with a dish of hot veg.

Liquid refreshment is all out of bottles, so the beery fellows had a glass of the house red while I managed a generous bottle of cider; half a pint would have been enough.

Puddings were had by all of us and then a couple of coffees.

Including chatting we probably took a couple of hours. No tip included in the bill so we left some cash for the staff ie cash all round.

A bonus is there is a slope for people who don't like the steps at the front door.

1  Thank Richard A