“Great little place in Piries Place”
Review of Meat In The Middle - CLOSED

Meat In The Middle
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 10 November 2014

We ate here for lunch a few Saturdays ago. Very quiet when we arrived, but picked up as we ate. They have 2 long wooden communal bench tables, so it's not very big, but also not a place for a romantic tete a tete, although it's friendly and relaxed. The portions were a good size - we tried the pulled pork and the spicy chorizo and chilli burger - which really did have a good kick. Will definitely have that one again. The onion block side dish was tasty if rather greasy. Drinks are served in glass mugs which is rather unusual but they do the job. Do visit the loos - loved the funky sink lighting!
We will visit again when we want a tasty break from shopping, away from the mass produced offerings elsewhere. This place should be busier - lots of people looking in but not coming in - perhaps the communal bench style seating is putting people off but the food is worth it.

Reviewed 28 September 2014

We arrived on a Sunday at 1.40pm and there were only 4 other customers in the restaurant, we ordered a coke and diet coke 'sorry we do not have diet coke' ok any other diet drink 'no, the manager does not agree with diet drinks, if you are eating food you should drink normal drinks' WHAT!!!!! Who is the customer here? It gets worse......
We ordered our food at 1.50pm and waited, the other diners got their food, well only 3 of them did, the 4th persons food turned up a good 8 minutes after the rest.
Whilst we waited we noticed that there were 2 waitresses who kept staring at us but not offering any more drinks (not until she noticed I was writing on a piece of paper ha ha) there were 4 men in the kitchen area one of which was permanently on his mobile so the food should have come pretty quickly.... NO it did not.
The food arrived at 2.25pm which if they were busy is ok but not for 2 burgers and only 6 customers.
Now for the food....
I ordered a chicken burger priced at £9, it was very dry (overcooked) and bits were chargrilled but other bits were plain charred yucky burnt taste in my mouth, the piece of 'sussex' bacon on the top was very floppy, I left this as it was far too fatty. My husband ordered the Three Meat Treat £12 with Chicken Burger, Beef Burger and Pulled Pork the problem with this was that the Pulled Pork was mixed in with BBQ sauce and that was all he could taste. The Chips, it does say chunky chips but honestly they were enormous and this made them tasteless and hard to eat as after one chip you are all 'potatoed' out.
The condiments: there are 2 plastic bottles on the table for you to choose from, one is a mix of BBQ and Brown sauce, it was really quite tasteless and the other OH MY GOD what the hell was it, it was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted, it was a rancid, fermented, indescribable liquid that was a strange pale orange colour.
I asked the waitress what it was and said it was disgusting 'it is home-made tomato sauce', have you tasted it I asked 'no', I suggest you do, and when she did she pulled the same face I had when I tried it. I would think that a home-made tomato sauce needs to be refrigerated and not left in a warm place all the time hence the rancid taste.
Oh and the toilets, there is no mirror, plenty of space for one though.
Overall what do I think, well you won't be surprised to hear that I will not be going here ever again and at £32 a complete waste of money.

4  Thank Heather C
Reviewed 15 September 2014

We were excited by this new restaurant, a gap in the market in Horsham being filled, sadly it didn't really live up to expectations, whilst some of our food was very good other parts failed to deliver. MITM needs to decide if they are an up market burger joint (as their pricing implies) or a faster food offering (as their menu implies). For £7 you can have a burger for £9 you can have a bacon burger, this £2 buys you 1/2 a rasher of streaky bacon, rind on and rather chewey. The choice of bun is a nice touch but why have buns twice the size of the burger which only highlights the small burger offering your £7 buys you. The burger itself whilst rather cooked to death did taste good the cheese rather non existent, now if you want anything with your burger that's extra, chips very good but not so many for £2.95 the onion brick was excellent and not bad value at £2.95 the coleslaw however well I don't know how you have the front to charge £2.95 for a portion barely larger than an egg cup and it's not all that nice to boot, the icing on the negatives here is the truly cheap ketchup! The service was good our waitress was lovely but at the point our food was served every member of staff left the restaurant and kitchen, so we had to wait to ask for mustard and then my husband had to actually go to the counter and ask. I'm afraid for this sort of money £34 for two burgers, 3 sides 1 beer and 3 glasses of water MITM needs to seriously up it's game, there's too much competition in Horsham for a resaurant to serve average food at way above average cost.
The restaurant itself is very nice, unusual and quirky, the toilets whilst unisex (yuk) are actuallly really nice, funky and unique.
It is an overall shame to come away so dissapointed.

11  Thank Simba3262