“Reasonable food when staying nearby”
Review of Boddington Arms

Boddington Arms
Ranked #56 of 93 Restaurants in Wilmslow
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2017

Stayed next door so when arriving late decided to eat here. Good service and not too long to wait. Salad bar included and food ok.

General Manager A, Manager at Boddington Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi thank you for taking your time to give us your review, hope to see you again soon, we have recently changed our menu so you might like to pop in sometime and give us another try.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

My wife and I eat at various Harvesters and normally have no complaints. This particular one shocked us both on our visit on Sunday.
We were sat down and informed they had no fish and no rotisserie chicken, fine, no big deal, there's plenty to choose from, ordered the simply grilled chicken breast instead.
It was the smallest chicken breast I've seen at any Harvester, half the size of the chicken breast you normally get with the Triple Combo (If you eat at Harvester often the you know what I mean), maybe the rotisserie chicken shortage was to blame?
The jacket potato was also minuscule and the burnt outside made it mostly inedible, thankfully the size of it became a blessing. As for the steamed veg? I know Harvester offers the free salad bar, so why bother threatening the meal with veg if you have no intention of giving a real portion? Anyway, the thing that really vexed me about this place was the post meal debacle.

Our plates were cleared and the bill put on the table in a manner that suggested they wanted us to leave. Which considering we hadn't actually bothered to complain and send our food back like other people dining at the time was a bit weird considering the ones who did complain were offered discounts and free desserts. So, we were left with the bill, I asked to pay by card. Apparently this fell on deaf ears and we were just left at the table waiting to pay. As mentioned, people were complaining and the staff were probably more bothered about them. We decided to wait by the card machine as most of the other diners had done and were yet again ignored for an absurdly long time by the staff who were happy to walk past us numerous times... So we decided to go to the bar to pay, and were yet again ignored by the staff. I'm sure the jokes and craic in the back were great but there was no reason to just ignore the paying customers, it wasn't exactly busy.

As it was a Sunday night and I've better things to do than stand at bars being ignored we decided to pay cash and to be honest, I was in work at 6 in the AM the following day and didn't want to be late so accepted the fact I was never going to get any change. Hopefully they can put it towards saving up for some customer service lessons for the staff.

On the plus side? There's a load of parking spaces, mostly empty so you can take your pick.

General Manager A, Manager at Boddington Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Hi Mathew,

My name is Jennifer and I am the Manager here at the Boddington Arms. I'd personally like to apologise for the issues raised within your review. Although it is not always easy to hear negative critique about our business, it is important for us to know where we go wrong with our guests and for that I would like to thank you for leaving us your honest feedback.

From what I gather from your response you are clearly a loyal guest of the Harvester brand, and I hope that as a regular Harvester visitor you know that our restaurants have a usual standard of expectations or service. I'm disappointed to hear that those standards were not reached on your visit with us. Our staff should be trained to a level where they are capable of reading our guests to see if there are any issues or if the guests aren't fully satisfied with there visit and I apologise that they weren't aware on this occasion , giving us no chance to try and rectify this with yourself.
I certainly see your concern and offer my deepest apologies, we are currently undergoing a Recruitment event due to losing a huge amount of our team to University, we currently have a lot of non experienced staff in which we are going through training with them so hopefully we can have this rectified with immediate effect. I understand your frustration but sincerely hope you will try us again in the future to give us chance to redeem ourselves to you.

Regards
Jennifer Harrison

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We came here as it was the last night for my daughter in the UK before going to USA. We arrived and noticed a group of men in the bar area watching football, they seemed quiet so decided to stay & that was the wrong decision!! We ordered drinks & he said our Server would be with us shortly. The group of men started cheering & jeering which was a concern but we stuck with it. We arrived at 5.30pm & our Server took our order but the issue was that the restaurant had no fish. How can a popular chain of restaurants not have fish on a weekend at 5.30pm. We were rushed to place an order so ordered cheesy garlic bread for starter as there wasn't anything else worth having from the starter menu & as the only seafood they had was scampi so ordered that. We were advised to help ourselves to the salad bar but when we went up the food didn't look very fresh & there was no labelling which was a concern especially as a member of our family has allergies. We found it strange as we were a party of 3 yet we were seated in a booth for a party of 6. The restaurant wasn't busy so no idea why they would waste such a large table just in case a large party arrived. We noticed a staff member drop two bread rolls on the floor but instead of putting them in the bin he put them back with rest of the bread rolls for customers to eat which turned our stomachs. The starter arrived and it was only cooked on one side. We did find it strange why the Chef kept coming out and taking bowls of the sauces left out for customers, surely any ingredients needed for the Chefs should already be in the kitchen. We were still eating our starters and then another server arrived with our main courses. The scampi tasted funky and the garden peas were like bullets but felt we couldn't complain as we were being rushed out the door. A fourth server then kept coming to the table asking had we finished yet but it was obvious we hadn't as we were still eating. We ended up leaving some of our meal because of the pressure from servers. We arrived at 5.30pm and paid at 6.13pm. It felt like we were in an episode of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares & I hope we do not come down with food poisoning.

Hi Mags,

My name is David and I am the Deputy Manager here at the Boddington Arms. I'd personally like to apologise for the issues raised within your review. Although it is not always easy to hear negative critique about our business, it is important for us to know where we go wrong with our guests and for that I would like to thank you for leaving us your honest feedback.

I hope that as a Harvester guest you know that our restaurants have a usual standard of expectations of food and service. I'm disappointed to hear that those standards were not reached on your two visits with us. I apologise profusely for the disturbance throughout your meal from the support of the Football, Sky is a new thing to our Business and we wasn't really sure what impact this would have on our Business, on reflection we can now see through the trial and feedback that the Guests can get very loud in which we now know when football is on to Prioritise our Restaurant dining guests in the back part of the Restaurant where it is more of a relaxed and Family friendly dining area. I undertsnad that the biggest concern on your visit was the Food Quality of what you was served, I apologise for that and we are Currently undergoing Training in house for a new Exciting Menu in which standards and cooking methods are all covered. I hope that this will rectify the issue however it will still be being monitored over the Course to ensure that our Chefs are serving food to a high Standard and meeting Brand expectations.

I hope that in the future you will try us again and hopefully we can meet your expectations, We go live with a new menu on the 4th and Have a new offers all the Time on the Harvester App it would be a perfect opportunitie to turn your experience around.

Kind Regards,

David Deakin
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Three times we've visited this pub.

The first was quite some time ago, when we called in by chance on the way back from a shopping trip for their (then) excellent carvery.

That was tasty, value for money and left no bad memories.

Our second trip was 2 weeks ago - now a harvester branded pub.

We were promptly seated and our drinks order taken before waiting 40 minutes for food. Which is fine, food takes time to cook, especially when it's a group of 8 adults.

There were a few failings on that trip, which lead to one meal being removed from the bill.

The third (and final for our group) trip was last weekend.

Another birthday celebration, we'd returned - encouraged by the response to the failings on our last visit.

Unfortunately, it didn't go well this time either.

Instead of observing my request for our group to be seated at the same table as last time, we were stuck in a dingy, badly lit corner next to the function room - the doors to which were open and let a draft in. That's ok though - I asked the waitress seating us if people would be in and out of that room and she said no.

I don't think she meant to lie to us.

15 minutes after seating, nobody had been to visit us.

I went in search of a staff member - all apparently on breaks and it was the waitress who had just come off hers who took our order.

Drinks began to arrive and whilst we waited for our mains, we headed to the salad bar.

The sight we were greeted with there is what I can only describe as what I would imagine a bomb going off in a food factory to look like.

Contaminated pots, empty and missing pots, no butter, 3 of the salad dressings were missing and the bread had clearly been out a little longer than it ought to have been.

When the mains arrived, the lad bringing our orders apologised for the 3 missing dishes - the kitchen was a man down tonight he said - they'd be with us soon.

10 minutes later, our remaining mains arrived.

I didn't complain because the same manager that was on last time (who was quite offhand when we raised the issue of the poor meal) and I didn't feel she'd understand why we would feel a little frustrated with the above.

So we paid our bill and vowed not to return.

The Boddington Arms joins two other local eateries that we simply won't revisit - I guess in a way, that's something to be proud of.

I've noted the 'management' of this establishment are responding to tripadvisor reviews with standard responses.

It would be my recommendation that instead of paying lip service to less than 5* reviews, they should probably start to take onboard the points being raised.

You're representing a chain - I've eaten in a few harvesters and none have ever failed me.

There's something going seriously wrong at the Boddington Arms.

General Manager A, Public Relations Manager at Boddington Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Hi Eshrules,

I'm glad to hear that we managed to turn your visit around previously, leaving you open to giving us another chance on a return visit, however I appreciate how disappointing that must have felt after your second visit with us was far from an improvement after raising concerns that day.

From what I gather from your response your are clearly a loyal guest of the Harvester brand, and I hope that as a regular Harvester visitor you know that our restaurants have a usual standard of expectations or service. I'm disappointed to hear that those standards were not reached on your two visits with us. The salad bar, a staple of the Harvester reputation, is one of the most important parts of our dining experience and I apologise for the state you found it in on your most recent visit. Although you mention that it was communicated with you on that evening we were having some staffing issues, these issues should never be let made aware to our guests. Although I'm sure you can understand how day to day staff levels may make things more difficult, our staff should be trained to a level where they are capable of dealing with these issues professionally and politely. I certainly wouldnt call a 10 minute wait between meals when you come out to dine as a family 'professional' and for that again I extend my deepest apologies.

My biggest concern reading this review is that you felt our Duty Manager was unapproachable or offhand during your visits. All members of our Management Team, myself included, should pride ourselves on our guest relation skills. Customer Service is the heart of the Hospitality Industry and it is our role and duty to look after our guests and give them the best possible experience when they are with us. I am truly saddened to hear that you felt you could not turn to the person whose sole responsibility it is to rectify any potential problems for you during your experience. You mention that both of your negative experiences happened under the watch of the same Duty Manager, which leads me to think that our problem may lay with an individuals management of our business rather then the standards of our business, and certainly our Brand as a whole.

If you would like to contact us on 01625 525 849 and discuss this with either myself, or our General Manager, hopefully we will be able to determine if this is the case, and if so potentially who within our Management Team it is responsible for these recurring failures of duty which seem to be leading our company into disrepute.

I look forward to hearing from you, and hope that together we can turn this around.

Kind Regards,

David Deakin
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Very handy next door to the Premier inn where we stayed for 2x nights. Nothing to complain about, great food lovely staff. Waiter staff Tom and Beth were great a real credit to the Harvester team. The food was excellent ... we had meal on two consecutive evenings and a breakfast. All absolutely superb and nothing was too much trouble. We really enjoyed the selection on the salad bar which of course comes with every meal (except breakfast of course) the meals are huge! So a big appetite is a requirement. The breakfasts are also huge whichever one you choose and all cooked to perfection. Thanx to Harvester team.

General Manager A, General Manager at Boddington Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Thankyou for your lovely review! Beth and Tom will be very happy to hear your review and the rest of the team.

We hope to see you again soon!