“Good Food”

Ranked #45 of 220 Restaurants in Woking
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

I haven't been to the Wheatsheaf for years. It is a nice mix of pub dining and more formal dining. There was a good choice of pub classics with a few special extras.
It is a shame they don't have the specials board they used to have there used to be some really nice one off things on there.
The staff were polite, food was good and there was plenty of parking. All in all a good choice.

General Manager A, Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

Was eating here with a group and all meals looked delicious. I had fish pie, very nice, but moderate in size. So enough appetite for pudding, all large in size and very satisfying. Great selection of ales and bitters.

General Manager A, Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Kstaerk, we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit to The Wheatsheaf, Woking!

Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

I recently had lunch with an old friend at the Wheatsheaf. I was greeted pleasantly by the friendly Barmaid who allowed me to try several tastings of different beers before we settled on the excellent Black Sheep Brewery pale ale. Some pubs aren't so keen when you ask to sample a small amount of the beers on offer but here there was no problem at all with that. Also the lunch we odered was good too! Well done and keep up the good work.

General Manager A, Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2018

Hi Seanmryan, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at The Wheatsheaf, Woking. We're happy we could meet your expectations!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind Regards

Phil Aird

Reviewed 15 December 2017

Visited the Wheatsheaf as a possibility to our monthly walking group venue. The choice of food was excellent and catered to various needs. The service was friendly and efficient. Will come back.

General Manager A, Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Hi Anne F, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at The Wheatsheaf, Woking. We're happy we could meet your expectations!

Reviewed 8 December 2017

As a cast member of a group who appear at Woking Theatre every so often for a number of years, The Wheatsheaf has been our traditional place to go for drinks after a show and we have always been welcomed.
Sadly this year has been quite the opposite, on Wednesday evening we arrived at 10.40 and while I understand this is late,it is before last orders and I don't think it's exceptable to be greeted with a grimace and told not to move chairs in order to sit together (which as considerate people we move back) because you're closing at 11.
The guy behind the bar on this occasion also told us not to bother coming Thursday as they couldn't accommodate us due to Xmas parties.
As the only pub nearby we decided to go anyway just in case, needless to say it was quite empty and WOW I thought it couldn't get any worse but how wrong was I.
Was 1st served by a young gentleman (who actually was ok) I asked for 2 bottles of our usual wine, which sadly was out of stock so was given an alternative.
We opened the 1st bottle and it really wasn't to our taste, so i took the UNOPENED bottle back and asked if I could exchange if for something else explaining I would be happy to pay any difference .
The young bearded gentleman that served me this time, said I'd already bought it and couldn't ,after arguing the point for a good few minutes he angrily agreed.
He then excelled himself by telling me I had 10 mins to drink it and get out (it was 10.50pm at this point) he then complained that this was the second night we had come in late.
I think someone needs to point out that he works in the HOSPITALITY TRADE and coming in for last orders is not unusual especially at this time of year.
As a side note we spent nearly £100 not to be sniffed at for last orders.

Phil Aird General Manager
Maybe you could give a response (I live locally and have used this pub in the past but will think again)

General Manager A, Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

I'm sorry if you felt that you received appaulling customer service.

As I have already responded to your friend's other review:

The issue is not the fact you arrive before closing time. You arrive after last orders and within 10 minutes of closing with a large group of people, the whole group is loud which disturbs my hotel guests and has caused complaints from the rooms above.

On arrival you were told that the bar closes at 11:00PM and you would have until 11:15PM to drink up and leave, but continued to stay here until well after closing time and the drinking up time I allowed you to have (drinking up time is not a service we have to offer, it is discretionary).

Had you called ahead to book for your large party it would not be an issue,and an area could be reserved for you and adequate staffing put in place. I asked if you could not move the furniture but you continued to do so anyway. I agree, you did put it back once finished.

Kind Regards