“Nothing Short of Amazing”
Review of Canvas Cove Bistro

Canvas Cove Bistro
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Twillingate
Price range: US$11 - US$31
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Canvas Cove Bistro, offers a panoramic view of Twillingate harbour: fishing flakes, sail boats, fishing schooners and Greenland icebergs in season! Our licensed bistro offers the finer side of dining. Relaxed ambience. Gourmet, local seafood dishes. Elegant soups and salads. Extensive wine selection. Sit back and savour the view while enjoying our signature drinks or locally brewed Quidi Vidi Iceberg beer. Free WiFi. Fresh. Local. Delicious.
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

We checked this place out on Saturday afternoon and made reservations for dinner at 6. The special today was tapas. It included salad, shrimp, bruschetta, mussels and desert. My son and I are both 6'3" and over 200lbs. We were concerned it might not be enough to eat. The ladies wanted to try it so we agreed we could grab something at the pub later if we were still hungry. This is a quaint restaurant on the waterfront with a beautiful view. The tables were set very nicely and the two wonderful women that do the cooking and waiting met us with smiles. We had a great table with a view and were presented with a very adequate wine list. We were brought fresh made buns that were still warm accompanied by hand made butter churned with a smackle of molasses. It was heavenly and I could have filled myself with buns but waited in anticipation for what was to come. We started with a hand made ceaser salad that was plentiful and good. Next was a large serving of muscles done in a white wine cream sauce with bacon. They were great and I wasn't sure they could top them but then came the warm brechetta on fresh home made bread, wow best I have had. The ladies pleasantly surprised us next with some lobster roll, one on a crescent and one on a home made bun. We just finished that when we were brought shrimp on a bed of basmati in a cream sauce that was delicious. When I finished that I was pretty much done. I was full. Being a trooper I managed to make room for the chocolate swirl cheesecake. The evening was top notch. I can't believe these two women are able to put out a five star first class dinner in the small open kitchen they have. It is nothing short of amazing.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

I started with the mussels in cream, possibly the best I have had anywhere. My wife skipped the appetizer, and we both had the lobster dinner with an excellent, crisp, large Caesar's side salad, accompanied by a South African Pinot Grigio, and followed by New York chocolate swirl cheesecake and coffee. Served by friendly people in an elegant setting. $218.50 plus tip. Suggestion: Wetnaps or a finger bowl for those ordering lobster.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

This lovely local gem was within walking distance of our B&B. We stopped in late without a reservation & were richly rewarded -- their signature apple-tini and delicious lobster.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

We stopped into the Bistro after our Boat Tour. We really just wanted something to warm up with. The Restaurant was actually between Lunch and Dinner, but they welcomed us to sit. I had a hot coffee and a lovely scone. My Husband had a coffee and a bowl of Fish chowder. I was very thankful they allowed us to sit even though they were really closed. We would have loved to have been able to be there for dinner time, but we had to continue on our travels. Next time we will certainly check the entire menu out

Reviewed 9 July 2017

We had an interesting evening here. The place has a nicer atmosphere than most places to eat outside St John's, the staff was friendly & made excellent suggestions for my wife to help deal w her food allergies.
But the waiter, when I said I was the driver so I'd stick w water, suggested a MADD nonalcoholic wine. I thought "why not?" . He poured me a taster & the stuff was dreadful! The nose was horrible & the taste was worse, so I said, between gags, no thank you - take it away. Apparently this was not what he expected to hear & was somewhat nonplussed. He never came back.
We were there for the lobster & it's been years since the last one. However, it took more than an hour for the lobster to arrive. Once in front of us, it was just okay, but nicely presented. Not the delicious repast we had expected.
The people were so nice, I don't want to give a bad review & I hope this isn't a bad review but it was what it was.