“Worth our money”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Deauville
“Worth our money”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Room: We had red that the rooms were renovated but they are not renovated yet. They are very clean their were some paint patchs on the walls but everything was kept very clean. We had two double beds mext to one another and got a cot for our 5 years old son (it was brand new). We had a safe and a little fridge in the room, filled everyday with one 1.5 litre of water, that's all).
Resort: It is old but very clean they are renovating half of it (this part will become the Iberostar Cayo Coco soon). So half of the resort is closed for renovation. It explains why we were about 200 people max on the resort, that is the wonderful part since it was spring beak!!
Beach: It is great you can walk a long way. The water was beautiful and there was enough place for all of us. Wonderful beach for young children not to deep. Chairs and palapas were always available during the day (pool and beach).
Pools: Very clean but a bit cold, the ocean was way warmer than the pools.
Kidsclub: Never saw it, two clowns came by asking the kids to join them for icecream, but my kids refused. At night, Dana (entertenment team) would do a kids show and the kids loved it.
Food: Again it is Cuba, so don't expect to eat very well. Fruits: papaya, goyave, pinapple, orange, grapefruit, honeydew and watermelon. The rest is caned fruits. Vegetables: Lettuce, cucomber, tomatoes, oignons and the rest in caned vegetables. Meat: fish everyday, steak (very hard) and the rest was in sauce we did not not exactely what it was). Also the pasta bar, my kids ate there the whole week (pasta, tomato, alfredo or meat sauce, oigons, black olives, pepers, ham, bacon, tomatoes). The pool bar offers sanwichs, hotdog abd burgers) for lunch it was a great place. It was not very good but it is Cuba so you must keep in mind that food is hard to get there and they simply have not variaty. But don't worry you'll fond something. Nobody got sick while we were there so that it is the good part.
A la carte restorants: They were a bit better and tastier but again served with caned mushrums, carrots and green beens.
Service: Very good service and wonderful entertenment team. We would go back for the staff.
Show: the shows at night were really good, the dancers are wonderfull. We stayed up until 11pm, something we had never done before and it was worth it.
It is not clear when it will become an Iberostar. But it is not now. the staff told us one part might become a 5 star and the other part 4 star. But everything seems very unclear to them. We havn't been lucky on the weater, since the last 3 days were extremely windy, one day it rainded all day and the other two, we could not go to the beach. Even the beach bar was closed because of the bad weater.

Room Tip: Bloc 18 is very noisy because of the night shows until 11pm
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Math3456
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 2 June 2016
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Hotel.
We would like to clarify though that the hotel chain is concerned to listen to the voice of our customers through internet and dedicated an especial staff to track feedbacks and deliver them to the corresponding Managers by destination and rectify those areas in which we need to work.
On Line Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Montreal
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I will try to be as objective as possible in this review and I will describe the whole experience, not only the Hotel itself. This review is long but objective and complete. (Appologise for the English, I am a French Speaker)

My review’s perspective:
This is a CUBA resort and I think we ALL should consider that this is an 7days, 800CAD$ all inclusive travel, not the Ritz Hotel at 800$ PER night. We traveled 2 couples (22-25 years old). This is my second Cuba Trip. I did not expect the moon and considered that Cuban food is average. I based this review on what I expected for a CUBAN 4 stars resort.

Airport Arrival Experience:
Resort is about 15 minutes from the airport. Everything was quick. We traveled from the airport to the resort in large voyageur buses (I felt this was secured, not like the 1960’s Westphalia buses I took in Cayo Largo a few years earlier on) and were offered 2 beers for 5CAD$ in the bus. Smooth and easy ride.

Resort Arrival:
Lobby is amazing. The bartender brined us a cocktail even before checking in. Check in took less than 10 minutes. People at the front desk speak French, English and Spanish. Good service at the check In although we couldn’t changed our room to be next to each others.

Rooms:
Large and clean. Again, we are in CUBA... This resort was built back in 2001. Shows sign of wear but this is, in my opinion, part of the cachet of the resort. Beds are comfortable. Air conditioner works but kept the room too cold. Water pressure and Hot Water is not an issue. The toilet gets jammed easily. Lack of balcony but in block 20, 3rd Floor, we had a view on the laguna and ocean. We can hear a little noise from what I think is the resort generator near the door of our room but this was not an issue. Block 20 rooms had a nice window view but the front door gives up on the back of the lobby (Gaz tank and garbage). Anyways, window view was just perfect. I will put a few Room tips in the next section. I gave my room a 4/5 which is fine considering I used it to wash myself and sleep 5 hours per day. Oh, before I forget: EVERY morning, there was a new 1.5 litter water bottle in the fridge and room maid did a GREAT job.

Food:
Again, considering you are in CUBA, food is OK. The 2 a la carte restaurants were very good. I was surprised by the food quality of the 2 a la carte restaurants. Breakfasts are also pretty good if you are not to picky... I most of the time eat Omelettes with fresh bread with pancake. Food choise was OK. As most of the resorts, the buffet is the dark side of the thing. Although the food selection was limited at the buffet; all the food was hot. Pastas are always good. The snack Bar serves good pizzas. You can get ham and cheese and chicken salad sandwiches 24/24 hours...Limited choice but still nice when hungry at 2:00 am. I give a 3.5/5 for food...still taking in consideration we were in CUBA.

Drinks and Bar:
You can get a full International selection of drinks at the lobby. Pool Bar is nice and well located (in sun shade at 12:00). Twenty four Hours bar is located in the middle of the resort with a great view on palms and main pool. Beach bar is a bit small but service is quick. A lot of alcohol selection but I was a bit disappointed by the overall juice quality... Most of the cocktails tasted the same ‘’Rhum Punch’’ thing. Juices and slush were not that good. Beer, classic cocktails, mohitos, champagne was good. Some drinks became ‘’out of stock’’ by moment... I suggest you ask the bartender to fill his inventory of a particular thing if you always drink the same thing (you know...Champagne at the Lobby Bar....) Overall, I was satisfied. I give a 4/5 for the Bar related service/stuff.

Beach:
This is the only NEGATIVE point of this review. Beach was disappointing. I had bigger expectations for the beach than for the food and rooms... Cuban beaches are supposed to be the best but this resort beach is not deep enough. Beach was about 30 deep and they were a LOT of algae on the beach. Beach was supposed to be cleaned each day but was only cleaned on the last day of our trip. However, the beach is long and offers a view on the other resorts. You can visit the nearest resort and walk through another side of the sea. I give a 2/5 for the beach.

Overall Outside of the resort
5/5. Resort is beautiful and the small blocks gives a better looking to the resort than any other resort with a ‘’big 200 rooms building’’. Resort is also well disposed. Laguna villas were all closed but these villas gives something I can’t describe to the resort. The only negative point out there is that stagnant water generated a bit of mosquitoes. Pools are amazing. Quiet pool is a great place too to read...

Entertainment:
Although the resort was even not half full, the nightly entertainment was really good! The nightly entertainment show is outside and they created a Bistro / Cabaret ambiance witch was really good. We had a GREAT time there, going with dancers to the closing theme song each night. Great people, great ambiance, great show... Not too short, not too long...This was seriously cool. 5/5

Service:
Service was OK. I expected a bit more service at the buffet (It’s hard to get a coffee or a glass of water). As usual, it’s always hard to get your 2 restaurant a la carte... They always tell you it’s full... Give a small 2 pesos; you will get the updated VIP menu and suddenly, place will appears. Bar service is QUICK. Room cleaners did a wonderful job. People at the beach will bring the chairs for you. The guy at the cigar lounge will help you choosing a good cigar. Front desk people are always smiling... Service was great. 4/5.

Hint and tips

COFFEE: Order Expresso and Latté... Percolator Coffee is horrible. Ask a ‘’double very very long espresso’’ if you want a regular coffee.

OUT OF STOCK ALCHOOL (or ingredient): Ask the bartender to fill in his bar the day before if you always drink the same thing... We did this with champagne and never missed again.
ROOM UPGRADE: I don’t think this will give you an added value. However, this is possible if you ask in the early morning the day after ou checked in.

WATER: You can ‘’buy’’ a 1.5 bottle of water for 1 pesos at any bar...

CONTACT PERSON ON THE RESORT: Hipolito is the food manager... He’s the man for any situation (even not the food issue) and will help you getting what you want. This guy is everywhere.

Bottom line:

I paid 800CAD$ for a 1 week all inclusive trip. I spent 200$ out there for a Catamaran ride (65$), a few souvenirs and alcohol I brought back home (40$) and some tips (100$). This makes a 1000$ week, which is OK.... I stay in Montreal and a 3 days trip to Quebec city (200km) cost about 1000$ for 2 person.... I was surprised by the OVERALL experience of this resort. People, entertainment, cleanness of the resort, food and almost everything were pretty good and/or better than expected. I would recommend this resort. Keep in mind that it stays a CUBAN place and that on a 800$ trip, there are 300$ of TAXES.... There is 500$ left for both the PLANE and the resort....... Leave your home without too big expectations and you will surely ENJOY this place.

Wish you great Vacations.

Room Tip: Room on 1st Floor offers a balcony. Laguna Villas are closed Blocks near the main pool are near EV...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
27 Thank Kevin C
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was a great hotel. My two friends and I stayed there over our spring break from Feb 19-26, 2012. The hotel is very clean. The rooms are well kept, except for a lack of balconies, so try to get a room on the first floor if you want a balcony. The showers work very well, and the rooms are spacious. The food is one of the best i've had in Cuba so far. The variety is excellent from typical Canadian breakfast to a La Carte menus, there is always something to eat at the resort. There is also a snack bar which is open 24 hours by the pool. The animation team is very nice and they try their best to make your stay as enjoyable and memorable as they can (special thanks to Alain, Adrian, and Mandi). The pools are very nice, and there was enough chairs for then entire hotel (the hotel was not very full). The pool bar is also very enjoyable (Axcel is an excellent bartender!). The nightly entertainment is also very enjoyable. After the shows, the party continues at the disco from 11-2 am. The music is great. For those who do not enjoy the disco, there is also a cigar lounge, with an amazing bartender! The variety of drinks is excellent! They have everything from Cuban Rum to Baileys (first time I've seen this in Cuba). On Tuesdays and Thursdays, the hotel makes a nightly trip to a cave, which is also a disco. Try going on Thursday because there are a lot more people who go on the Tuesdays, and so it is more difficult to get drinks and to move around the cave. I have nothing negative to say about my experience at this hotel! I had an amazing time and hopefully will be going back next year!

Room Tip: try to get a room on the first floor because there are no balconies on the other floors
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
22 Thank vanessabassal
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Hi there, thanks for reading this review.

I try go away at least twice a year, and have done Jamacia, DR, Mexico, etc.. but I have to say this resort blows them all away.. the staff, the rooms ,the beach... omg the beach, the soft white sand, the clear blue water, the hotel staff who worked the beach cleaned the seaweed each day, some days there was none. There are there to carry your lounge chair to you straw shaded canopy. The bar is fab.. my only complaint about the pools and beach bar, is the constant loud boomimg hip hop.. It was a wee loud and didnt stop for most of the day until 5 ish, it would have been nice to have a place to sit where it was quiet esp when you have an older crowd in the resort, and there were many more older people than youngsters the week we arrived.

This was a week away with my boyfriend, so we were looking for a place that was semi quiet, clean and calming. We got most of it, I never thought I would go to Cuba because of the comments from people regarding the food, but we loved it, lots of choices and always 3 different types of fish each day, salad, Pasta bar.. or fast food.

The Cuban people were amazing, kind hearted, giving, happy and beautiful souls. The staff at this resort are happy to work there, you are treated so well and no one asks or expects tips, they help you because they want too. (though tippibg is strongly suggested, if you know how little they have) Our room was 3rd floor, huge, clean, and consisted of a small tv. (don't need one there) a small fridge, a wicker table and chairs.. perfect.. my only item i missed was a balcony, esp if you want to dry your swim wear, if you want access to outside, ask for bottom level, though your room will be smaller. The week we were there started very quietly maybe 150 people, towards the end it was filling up.

We only watched a few of the shows and they were very good most time we wanted quietness and hung out at the cigar lounge and played pool and sampled the amazing drinks served by one amazing talented bar tender, Freddy.. he is def worth going to watch, his tricks with the bottles and glass ware is mindblowing, also a lovely person to talk too.

Al la carte was good, The seafood night was outstanding, The steak house just ok. We walked to the right of the hotel on the beach and found a great shack about 2 miles from the resort that made the most amazing lobster dinner. huge, tasty and clean, we paid 15 dollars.. best ever. You have to go to PILAR beach, google it and that is what you get, its a 5 dollar return double decker bus ride from the hotel, about an hour with all the resort stops. I feel so blessed to have seen this beach and swim in its clear blue water. It was so refreshing not to have people accosting you to sell you things, or asking for tips.. for that reason alone i will return to cayo coco. For those of you who have booked to go, im jealous, you will have an amazing time. Any questions or hints on what you need to take etc, ask away. It is a very casual place. The energy is so positive and happy, i will be back again and again.

A big shout out to Ariel Martinez in bookings for al la carte and wedding co-ordinater, fab man who gave us tips on how to see cayo coco without having to be on an excersion schdule. Also Janetly in Kids club, who came to my aid when i forgot a hair brush.. THERE are none in cuba it seems... she went into town on her own time after work nd brought me one the next day. talk about going the extra mile... Felix at the snack food bar, love him, wanted to sneak him home. Just can't wait to return.

footnote...... once you arrive at the airport and get your seats booked and pay your tax.. dont go through immigration until your ready, the airport is teeny tiny, no A/C was on, nothing to do and you really should be careful of the food there, sadly we had a group of very ill passengers on our flight home, some quite serouis, who all ate chicken at the airport. In hindsight i would have sat outside in the fresh air until boarding or close too.

Room Tip: balcony if you can't do stairs . unit 16 and 18 were quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
27 Thank lulife7890
gatineau
Reviewed 1 March 2012

we transferred to this hotel after a horrible week stay at the memories caribe.the first week of february 2012. From the moment we arrived we were greatly impressed by the main lobby,the very gracious and sincere welcome from the staff and the effeciency of check in.We were given a lovely clean room with a wonderful lagoon view bright and cheerful. On the resort the pools were lovely and inviting . Lots of chairs were available around the pools and along the stunning beach.The staff was friendly and helpful and hard working. Drinks were pretty good as far as variety and i believe they were mixed with real fruit juice for the most part. The buffet was what i thought very good for Cuba;there seemed to be a reasonable variety,the snack bar was also very good!We tried a la carte seafood which was ok but in a very romantic setting on the lagoon.,we had lobster but found the portion somewhat skimpy but tasty. There are many well landscaped paths to walk on at this resort and only half of it was opened because they are apparantly renovating the other part. It will no doubt be amazing when the job is done. This was our second trip to Cuba, our first being awful in 2003 and after our first week this year i was so disappointed i was ready to cut this vacation short and go home. We are seasoned travellers who have vacationed extensively in the Carribean and until La Laguna we had had it with Cuba. THIS RESORT IS A DEFINITE 4.5 STAR.; it is really underated.If you are interested in how our first week at memories caribe was you can read the review.It will be self explanatory

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple