Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands Gateway Motel(Paihia)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$89
Priceline
Bay Sands Seafront Studios(Paihia)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$177
US$96
US$89
Agoda.com
Swiss Chalet Lodge Motel(Paihia)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$79
Bayview Motel(Paihia)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$62
Bounty Motel(Paihia)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$55
Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia(Paihia)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$81
  • Pool
Austria Motel(Paihia)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$59
Travelocity
1,175 results
All reviewstreaty groundsshuttle busbuffet dinnerpool areabeautiful locationa sea view roombit datedtennis courtsthe ground floorbayviewspaihiarabbitsdeckwaterfront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 January 2018

The Copthorne is set at a prime location in Waitangi. It is set in the shoreline with splendid views onto the Bay of Islands. It is also next door to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds - which are an absolute must. See separate review.
The Copthorne has great potential - but is overall disappointing.
The breakfasts are geared to catering for tours - regrettably nothing fancy to offer their clients, nor the option of an a la carte option.
The swimming pool area, which is meant to be reserved for guests, is over crowded. The pool area is not supervised, nor for that matter are any other pool areas. An Accident waiting to happen as kids are climbing the waterfall rock features and trying to jump into the pool below. The Jacuzzi area is a joke - no age protocol nor restrictions with kids of under 10 using these facilities which should be reserved for adult use only.
The bottom line is that kids are dominating these facilities uncontrollably at the expense of the adults.
The rooms arte tired and in need of modernisation. The provision of AC is also lacking.
This could be a much nicer hotel and resort, but regrettably it is NOT !!!
I'd hesitate to recommend this resort to others.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms open up onto the grounds. Bay facing rooms are the best.
1  Thank spmmik53
Matthew_Hambly, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Good Morning. Thank you for providing feedback about your stay with us. The hotel advises under its amenities and room descriptions that we have ceiling fans only and not air conditioning so that to advise guests that when they choose to stay at our hotel what to expect when it comes to room cooling. The hotel advises all guests that all children are required to be supervised while in the pool area and that that area is no attended by hotel staff. Regards, Matthew Hambly, Rooms Division Manager.

Reviewed 20 January 2018

The hotel is in need of a complete refurbishment throughout, “tired” is an understatement. There were also many areas that were not clean, both in the rooms and the public areas. The restaurant floor was littered with food, and rubbish from outdoors that had obviously been there for more than 24 hours. The breakfast was lacklustre and the hot options were the wrong side of lukewarm on both mornings. Not one member of staff made eye contact or acknowledged us in any way when clearing our table, and the bar staff couldn’t raise a smile, let alone speak, when we ordered any drinks on returning to the hotel after being out for the evening. The receptionists were friendly and welcoming on arrival and very chatty when we settled our bill of $797 for two nights accommodation & breakfast, with the only addition being a $10 internet charge. A complete rip-off. I would not return, nor recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Matthew_Hambly, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Good Morning. Thank you for providing feedback about your stay with us. I am sorry that your stay did not meet with expectations. I shall pass on the specific points mentioned in your review. Warm Regards, Matthew Hambly, Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

This hotel is located in a nice Bay Area and has no air conditioning .

The hotel is OK but the Management is very rude and simply doesn’t care about the property or its guests.
Worst of all they will present you with last minute hidden ‘charges’. I saw them present a $55 one day ‘internet charge’ and various other miscellaneous‘ charges ‘. They were trying to rip off some foreign tourists who did not speak good English until I intervened. The manager then threatened me and said he would report everyone to the police. I have NEVER encountered such bad and rude management and I travel the world over. He then slapped a $55 ‘charge’ on the spot to my room. I explained to the manager I have an ATT worldwide internet and phone plan that I use and never had the need to use the hotels internet- but he refused any explanation and kept threatening the guests.
An awful experience.
A word of caution- be careful with this hotel. Better still don’t stay in this hotel.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank barryspi
Andrew708, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Thank-you for your recent feedback. I am sorry that you feel you had an awaful experience during your stay with us. I will be investigating your concerns. Regarding your feedback about the charges for the Internet we do have several plans available through the hotel including complimentary WiFi and also have several other plans upto and including a 5 Day $55.00 plan, this all depends on the needs and requirements of our guests. Not at any stage would we try to present any hidden costs so I assure you that your concerns will be addressed by myself personally.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

The wife and myself had a fantastic time staying at the Copthorne Hotel. The location and views from the bedroom were superb. The staff were friendly and very efficient. The food in the restaurant was superb. I had the pleasure of speaking to the Chef, a young Irishman, who could not have been more helpful with my dietary requests. The first thing I did on returning home was to plan a second visit with my wife, hopefully in Autumn.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Matthew_Hambly, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

Good Afternoon. Thank you for providing feedback about your stay with us. I will pass this feedback onto our Executive Chef. He will particular like the young part as he is a lot older than he looks. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future. Warm Regards, Matthew Hambly, Rooms Division Manager.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

We stayed here for 2 nights on a away to go gift voucher which included a 2 nights stay 2 breakfast meals and 1 x 3 course dinner which could be upgraded to a buffet meal if you prefer this cost us $280 the room wasn't a sea view room but that was ok with us. The room was comfortable and the bed was very also had an awesome sleep. The tvs not that gr8 but who wants to be stuck inside watching tv when you have a swimming pool spa and tennis courts at your finger tips. The meals were excellent we really enjoyed that.

Room Tip: The swimming pool is a must
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Good Afternoon. Thank you for providing feedback about your stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future. Warm Regards, Matthew Hambly, Rooms Division Manager.