“Great service, but overpriced and not great food.”

Chili's Grill & Bar
Ranked #59 of 139 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 11 June 2017

We were excited to see a Chili's restaurant as we were passing through Staunton, as there are none near our home and we have always enjoyed eating there in the past. After the hostess asked our table preference we were quickly seated. Unfortunately, the table and booth were sticky, as if they had been wiped with a dirty rag. I was wearing shorts and as soon as I sat down I felt crumbs on my legs, so clearly the seats had not been cleaned (or the table was wiped off onto the seat). A quick trip to the restroom while waiting for our meal to come was enough to turn my stomach, as it clearly had not been cleaned (or visited) by staff in quite some time. Had we not ordered our food already I would have suggested we pay for our drinks and leave, and in hindsight this would have been a great thing to do.

Our server was excellent. He was friendly, very prompt in taking our drink orders, brought refills as needed (without us having to ask) throughout the meal, and answered all questions we had accurately.

The food was brought quickly, but that's where the good part ended. My son ordered chicken tenders with fries and corn on the cob. The fries were fine, but the chicken was battered and then cooked in what seemed to be old fryer grease, as the color was off and the taste is best described as stale. When the breading was removed, however, it was a nice piece of chicken beneath. He was excited to bite into his corn on the cob, which looked quite tasty -- clearly looks can be deceiving, as it had obviously been sitting around for more than a few hours and was mushy, soggy, and completely inedible.

My husband ordered a chicken burrito, which was actually not bad except it should have been described as a rice burrito with chicken rather than a chicken burrito. It was exciting to see this beautiful fat burrito arrive on the plate, with melted cheese and a smoky sauce drizzled on top. After cutting into it he quickly realized it was bursting with rice, with just a few random pieces of chicken thrown in to justify the name.

I had the "choose two" fajitas, which is actually a misnomer, because for the price you could only have chicken and pork carnitas. If you want shrimp, steak, or prime rib, you have to pay an extra fee. The server explained that since I wanted shrimp and prime rib I was better off to select the "choose three" option and just get the two things I wanted. The price ended up being $17.99, which is fine for dinner but a little on the pricey side for lunch, but the fajitas looked wonderful on the menu so I went for it. Big mistake. When the food was delivered the shrimp were small, not butterflied, and not hot, while the "prime rib" was dry, fatty, and overcooked (it was closer to beef jerky than prime rib). When you think of fajitas you anticipate a sizzling plate, but I was presented with a plate of lukewarm onions and green peppers with the above-mentioned shrimp and meat sitting on top. Adding to the poor experience, the sides consisted of about 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese, most of which was resting in the spilled salsa and was slimy and wet. Luckily there was plenty of sour cream, because the pico de gallo was made with unripe tomatoes and had no flavor.

Overall, we had a poorly prepared, overpriced meal that was served in a dirty restaurant by a great server. We definitely don't plan to visit this, or any other Chili's again anytime soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

We were sitting in the lovely backside outside area and we're taken very good care of. The food was outstanding (steak).

Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

We needed a quick bite before the start of an evening conference so this fit the bill. We had quick efficient service as well as quick meals served. It also was tasty which Chili's food usually is. They were only about a mile from the Sleep Inn that we were staying at.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

We went to Chili's to celebrate my sister's 3rd cancer-versary! The waitress was awesome and the food was good. The food came out right away! Also, we sat on the bar side where my husband was able to watch the basketball game. Appeared to be lots of people here. Took us about 10 minutes to find a seat. I would recommend people to visit Chili's!

Reviewed 1 February 2017

We frequent this restaurant about three times per year, most recently January 2017. Service has always been good to very good and it always appears clean and in good repair. Menu items that I can stand behind here are classic ribs, fajitas, burgers, molten cake and skillet cookie. Margaritas are also appreciated by our group. New, this trip were some menu additions including smoked meats and grilled corn. Look forward to trying the new items.

Been to Chili's Grill & Bar? Share your experiences!