“OK sleep but customer service missing the mark”

Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“OK sleep but customer service missing the mark”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed here for a weekend.

Highs:
- Good location with amenities close by (but not if you were using the airport, which is quite a distance away).
- "Euro" mini-suite design with a semi-divided seating area with huge corner sofa.
- Free parking, unlike hotels closer to DC.
- Comfortable bed. Mini Fridge.
- Quiet.

Lows showed a lack of customer service caring:

- Free continental breakfast to 11:00 AM allegedly, but I got there Sunday at 10:30, and they'd already cleared everything away. Not nice.
- TV channels were set up wrong. "PBS" was actually the digital feed of PBS Kids. "Discovery Channel" was actually an automotive channel owned by Discovery Networks. Whoever set it up obviously didn't care, and neither did management, obviously. Very sparing selection of channels otherwise (not even the History Channel).
- Due to recent freezing rain, the parking lot was quite icy. They salted the walkway, but didn't bother with the driveway right in front?

Other issues:

- Internet was somewhat slow with weak wireless connections (though not terrible), and there is no wired option in the room.
- Impossible to keep an eye on the TV while working at the desk, as it is around the corner from the sleeping area; but since there's no wired connection, there was no reason to use it anyway.

Better choice in my opinion: Doubletree.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank DavidStarsky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 10 January 2012

The Hyatt Place in Sterling gave us everything we wanted and needed with the standard amenities and a comfortable king-size bed. Two things stand out: the first is the unique floor plan. A divider wall separates the bed from the entrance area. In the entrance area is a comfortable wrap-around couch, a wet bar and granite counter, a work desk and a closet area with a large sweater drawer. The bathroom is immediately off the sleeping area. This junior suite arrangement allows a person to convene a group for coffee or for one of the couple to read on the couch while the other is in the darkened sleeping area asleep. What meant the most to me in the end, though, is that 15 minutes after I checked out I realized that I had left behind on the coffee table a folder of important papers. I called Matt at the front desk, who promised to run upstairs to "rescue" the folder before the maids cleaned the room and disposed of trash. The very good news is that the maids had recognized the importance of the folder and had put it aside for safe-keeping. Matt easily retrieved the folder, and shortly thereafter I picked it up from the front desk. So, thank you Matt and housekeeping staff for helping to end our stay on such a positive note. I will definitely return! The only reason I'm not rating the hotel "5" is that it is currently undergoing renovation, which very slightly inconvenienced us. Of course the renovation is good news for future travelers!

Room Tip: Ask to stay on a floor that is already renovated or on which the renovation has not yet begun.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank susaness
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Our second stay here - by choice. Comfortable bed, quiet room. We stayed on the top floor - #6 this time and could hear nothing below us. Decent continental breakfast included with cereal, juices, fresh fruit, yoghurt, bagels, etc. from 7:30 - 9:30. Free shuttle to Dulles airport. Staff very accommodating. You can order some pre-prepared food and beverages 24/7 by the reception desk which is particularly nice even though this is not one of the high end Hyatts. When my husband had a glass of wine ($6.50), I asked for and got a 1/2 glass of wine and was not charged for it. A nice touch. A bowl of fresh apples is always available. The price for a double room (queen sized bed) was $66. plus tax. which seemed very reasonable for the outer D.C. area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mid214
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 December 2011

The hotel is undergoing major renovation. If you want peace and quiet - stay away. Call ahead to see if they are done with the renovation. We stayed there for 5 days and the only days we had peace were on xmas and day after. The constant drilling and banging and dust and smell of paint, glue, latex was terrible. When I called to ask them about the drilling - the man at the front desk said, "you are more than welcome to leave." Oh wow! I cannot believe this is Hyatt. Never again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Nana Z
Auburn, California
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I typically stay at the Lansdowne Resort when traveling to Virginia but it was booked as well as other hotels in the area. This was the only hotel available for my stay.

Things didn't start off well, I had a late flight and called the hotel to let them know I'd be late but to hold my room. When I got to the hotel my reservation had been cancelled as a 'no show'. After a very long flight that had been delayed this was not welcome news. Because they'd given away my original room, I was assigned a room in a construction floor. The hallway had plastic on the floors and it was obvious the room across from me was undergoing major work. Just seems to be my luck, always construction around me.

On the plus side the room was really big with a very large flat screen TV, I'd say in the 42" to 45" range. The room had a little wet bar with refigerator, sink and coffee maker. This would be great for anyone traveling with a larger party.

Another downside was the lack of room service. This is important for me when business traveling since I don't always like to eat out. They had some express 24 service but there wasn't any information in the room on how to use it, they referred you to the concierge who was always busy. I did order breakfast one morning and it was horrible. The scrambled eggs were overcooked and rubbery, the bacon was also rubbery like it was microwaved. I didn't eat here much. The continental breakfast looked ok with bagels, toast, fruit and yogurt.

I wouldn't stay here again if I had a choice, more of a 4 to 5 star hotel person.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Sandy F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
6.3 km away
2.3 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
5.3 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington-Dulles International Airport

Been to Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!