“In Need of Some Serious Refreshing”

Sheraton Tysons Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Reviewed 16 August 2017

This is an attractive conference facility as well as convenient to various attractions such as Wolf Trap and Tyson's Corner Galleria, but I couldn't help but notice some serious mechanical functions during my stay. They put us in the basement, our room smelled terrible (like mildew carpet) and the conference rooms all had giant dehumidifiers blasting that made it very hard to hear panelists. I'm guessing there'd been some kind of leak. In addition, the outdoor pool was "under renovation" although no one was working on it the two days we were there, which was during the summer. The indoor pool, however, is lovely and had some swimmies and noodles to use if you bring kids who can't swim.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors for less noise, better smelling carpets!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Kelly S, Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Good day,

Thank you for being our guest. Your feedback will allow us to improve our guest's experience in the future. The units in the rooms were for additional air conditioning due to the volume of guests in the space. I am sorry this made it difficult for you to enjoy your panelist. We have made appropriate adjustments for future events. Our outdoor pool has been closed while we look at our best options are for this space. As you noticed we do have a nice indoor pool for our guests to enjoy.

We strive to exceed our guests expectations and your feedback will help us achieve this in the future.

Warm regards,

Kelly

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel, that used to be one of my favorites when I was in the area, has seriously suffered a stroke. I am a gold member and always upgraded, usually to one of the highest floors. This time I was with my family and was practically put in the basement with a bathroom that has a peeling ceiling with mold in the corner. Further, there is no longer room service or anything that even resembles dining YOU HAVE TO PICK UP YOUR FOOD NO I'M NOT KIDDING. Westin is still safe, if you care about your stay experience at all go there instead they still understand what customer service means.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 14 August 2017

Good day,

Thank you for being our guest. I am sorry we fell short of your expectations.
We value your feedback and I will follow up with the appropriate leaders to ensure the room conditions stays consistent and bathrooms are up to standard.
The Marketplace is designed to give our guests more variety at a faster pace. A grab and go option with call ahead ordering is available for those who still wish to eat in the comfort of their room. We do our best to accommodate all of our guests, but sometimes fall short and for this I apologize. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Kelly Sites

Reviewed 1 August 2017

We were at the end of a week's roadtrip from Florida to NYC had been staying in cheap places. So, for our last night we decided to go big and got a room here for about $200 including club floor access and a roller bed in the room for our son. This so we could see a show at the nearby Wolftrap. What a mistake. Check in was OK. They didn't seem to know anything about the roller bed request (it was printed on my booking) and said they would arrange it. We went to the room, waited an hour, no roller bed. Called the "guest services" number, they said they would send one. Half an hour later, no bed. Called again, they said it was on the way "now". No bed showed up. We went to the club floor, it was abandoned and empty apart from some cans of diet coke in the fridge. Particularly irritating since the booking stated "Drinks and hors doeuvres" were included with the club lounge. My wife went downstairs to complain. The dismissive receptionist didn't apologise, said the club floor service wasn't available on the weekend and we were entitled to two food vouchers instead, between the three of us (why do they sell this service if it isn't available? They sure don't mind charging $200 for an ordinary room that includes this "service") . While my wife was downstairs I searched for ice, since $200/night apparently doesn't include a fridge in the room. Ice machine on floor 22 didn't work. Ice machine on floor 21 didn't work. At floor 20 I found a hotel employee and told him about the roller bed. He said it was the last time I would have to ask about it. Well guess what, no bed. We decided to stop trying to have a good time at the hotel and go to the concert instead with our newly acquired diet coke. Stopped at the front desk and after a further unpleasant conversation, the horrible receptionist grudgingly gave us a third food coupon. We went to the hotel snack bar and got three sandwiches out of the fridge with our coupons and took them to Wolftrap. On the way, I called back, told them I had requested the roller bed 5 times now and asked for them to ensure it was in the room on return (it was). Got to Wolftrap, and ate the impossibly stale sandwiches, saw the show, had a great time. In the morning we went to the club floor for breakfast. The "scrambled eggs" looked delicious but unfortunately didn't seem to be made of egg. Perhaps some kind of synthetic egg? It was foul. We gave up and left. I just saw a recent response from hotel management to another negative review that if dissatisfied we should have engaged the duty manager. Well guess what, your receptionists are your front line staff and you should train them properly to handle customer complaints. And if they can't they should refer the complaint to the manager themselves. I don't think the onus should be on the guest of a major hotel group to navigate the organisation chart of the hotel. I will never go back to this hotel and unlikely to stay in any other Sheratons either. The previous night we had stayed at an Air BNB at half the price and 10 times the satisfaction. You have to wonder about the future of the US hotel industry. Corporate America at its' worst.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank travellinman2112
Management response:Responded 3 August 2017

Good day travellinman2112,

I am sorry to hear that your experience was less than positive. We strive to exceed our guests' expectations and empower our associates to take care of our guests. I will review the processes we have in place to avoid the multiple calls for a roll a way bed and see how we can improve this procedure to avoid challenges in the future. I will also ensure our team is knowledgeable and communicating upon arrival the benefits of the Sheraton Club along with the hours of operation. Thank you for being our guest and taking time to share your experience so we can improve our services in the future.

Kind Regards,

Kelly

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

I always stay here when I come up.to visit family. It's very dog friendly which is great, and good location. Just seems like it continues to go downhill. The side door kept malfunctioning and I had to walk all the way around the entire building to get back inside. The 2 ladies bartending need new jobs. No personality, SLOW service. And it wasn't busy. I asked for a menu, but apparently the restaurant no longer serves a full menu?? At least that's what I was told. I was handed a drink menu with some random bar food options. So I had to go find dinner elsewhere. Still couldn't get Wi-Fi in the gym. Very disappointing visit. I just don't get why this hotel has gone downhill over the years, I bet it was amazing in its prime.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Chris Z, Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear brindlelover28,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us during your most recent stay. We thank you for your continued patronage over the years! We are sorry you found your most recent stay below your expectations. There is never an excuse for poor service, and our food and beverage team will work with our lounge team to ensure we are providing better service moving forward. We have made some changes to our food and beverage program to better meet the changing needs of our travelers, and we are still working out some of the offerings to work for our guests. We apologize you had issues with the side entrance, this will be reported to our engineering team so we can fix this right away. But we are glad you find our hotel location convenient and yes, we are pet friendly! It is because of guests like you sharing your experiences, that we can make changes and improve our guest experience. We appreciate your comments!

Reviewed 27 July 2017

Is there anything more sad than seeing a once great hotel deteriorate in every imaginable aspect? It's certainly the case here unfortunately - and the staff openly admit it.

Attempted to check in early on a Sunday following a long flight from Dubai and received a half scoff half growl from the receptionist who informed me that check in time is at 3pm (thank you I'm well aware) and that no room would be available for the next 4 hours or so.

One would think that the acquisition of hard spending international business guests would rank high in this hotel's business plan or priority list. You'd be also tempted to think that accepting a guest's offer of more cash for an upgrade would make sense commercially. Doubtless, you'd also assume that opening the restaurant for business on such a busy day would make sense (I would have gladly indulged in a hearty breakfast and an appreciable number of cups of tea had the restaurant been open).

The guys and gals here don't see it that way, sadly.......

It is clear that priority is given, very largely, to their ballroom/exhibition business with your interests as someone who simply wants a bed and a shower after a 15 hour flight very low down the to do list.

You are what you eat, you are what you read they say. If the same applies to hotels then I shudder to think what I am as I sit here in this property's dimly lit, unstaffed dining room.

As I wait for a room to be vacated I worry, too, about the state of said abode and hope against hope that the skeleton crew policy the hotel implements on its food outlets doesn't also apply to its house keeping practices.

The proof is in the pudding, I suppose. Good heavens.

I shan't write further about my experience here. It is clear and abundantly so that this is all my fault. I simply picked the wrong place to stay.

Wait. No. A DAY HAS PASSED AND I HAVE TO share this with you.

THERE IS no restaurant
THERE IS no room service
THERE IS no mini bar
THERE IS no local shuttle
THERE ARE very poor amenities (soap the size of a quarter)
The carpets are very old and very tired
Vending areas are strewn with dirty dishes and dirty glasses - HEALTH HAZARD
The pool looks like a 1930s stalinist state-sponsored facility

Five star it isn't.
Business-minded it isn't.
Courteous it isn't.
Helpful it isn't.
Organized it isn't.

The FINAL STRAW for me was, in the elevator, the unmistakable smell of that substance that one rolls before lighting up. I'm just glad I was on my own and not with my wife and son.

I'll do my research better next time and will NEVER, EVER stay here again. I suggest you don't either.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here - appalling hotel
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Chris Z, Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2017

Dear DaveD78,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very sorry you had so many issues with your stay. Despite the impressions and experiences you had, we are a hotel that is focused on our guests and we do our best to Go Beyond and give every guest a great experience with clean rooms and friendly service. It appears we fell short on many occasions with you.

Most concerning is that many issues could have been remedied along the way with proper intervention. Please note that hotels always have a manager on duty to assist with guest matters, and in the future please ask for our manager on duty so we can put attention to the items that need improved to better your experience.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with us. We apologize for the issues you had, but please know that your comments will be very helpful in making changes at the hotel to keep this from happening in the future.