“Locals' Favorite”

Ranked #19 of 1,459 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Local favorite that is great for visitors as well. Great breakfast right on the water at the Rudee Inlet. Was recommended to us by some locals and overheard at least 2 other people telling other visitors to go there during our 5 day stay. Great lunch and dinners also that feature daily blackboard specials. All desserts are homemade. Seafood, fresh meats, produce and dairy are delivered fresh everyday.
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Cute local restaurant on Rudee Inlet. The food is good and the atmosphere is unique. Their breakfast pancakes are the best!

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

How this could have a high rating is beyond me. The bourbon and 7 was week to bad. The Crab Claws were fried in long over due change in the fry oil. And lastly the raw oysters were very small to very very small. And parking was risky. Sometimes this makes me question Trip Advisor.

Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Bullwinkle63,
If your drink was bad, you should have asked your server to fix it to your liking. We don't serve crab claws and our oysters are Blue Points which are very sought after( not for size, but for flavor). We have two parking lots that no one else has found risky. We at Big Sam's are sorry that visit with us was not satisfying.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

We have been to Big Sam's before and have had a really good meal. This time we came here during happy hour & had a nice window seat. They have decent prices for happy hour food. The shrimp & the wings were delicious. However, the oysters were very small with not too much taste, & had shell fragments in them. We've had better elsewhere. Clams on the half shell were OK. The fried clams were overcooked & crispy brown. Edible, but not great. The best part of the meal was the home made coconut cream pie that my husband & I shared for dessert. The best ever. Service was decent, but we were being charged for double orders of oysters & clams. It took 2 tries to get the bill correct. All in all, we would come here again, if just for the coconut cream pie, but probably not during happy hour. I think there are better places to dine in Virginia beach.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I have been meaning to go back to Big Sam's for a while. It was the favorite Virginia Beach restaurant for Swedish friends who lived here for several years. Located on the water at Rudee Inlet, it is small, very casual, friendly and boisterous. I go there in flip-flops for a cold beer and good seafood. Not sure, but I believe they buy some of their seafood right off the fish boats that moor in Rudee Inlet. Not a great amount of seating capacity; often folks are out on the deck. Some folks like their burgers, but I go only for the fresh seafood.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Ate at Big Sam's after 20 min wait. Glad we did. Great food, nice casual waterfront atmosphere, decent service (a little long, especially waiting for the check). Crab cakes were all lump crab. I had fried clams (which I rarely find) which were great and plentiful. We started with steamed shrimp which I wish we had skipped only because by the time we were done I felt like I had over eaten. Prices are reasonable, beer was cheap. I'll definitely be back.