“All in all, not a bad stay!”

Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #75 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 19 November 2017

I have spent a lot of time on this review. I stayed off-season and I felt the rate was decent for what I got. Would I think it was a reasonable amount during the summer, when rooms go for close to $250? In all honesty, no. It's definitely in need of a renovation. That said, I took into account that it's a beach hotel and I've never stayed at one that didn't have some issues because of the proximity to the water and from the humidity. The room is a bit odd, opening to the beds and all but the rooms are spacious (although the bathroom itself is pretty tiny). I liked the way the hotel was built, so that all guest rooms face the water with nice little patios where you can eat or have a glass of wine and watch the water. Nice little kitchen area. Good location...we didn't drive at all once we got there. The Food Lion across the street is great and there are a variety of restaurants within a reasonable walk. Our experience at their Tradewinds restaurant was nothing short of bizarre so I don't recommend that at all.

Yes, it could use a full reno. But as is, I had a fine stay for a fun conference and would not dissuade anyone from trying this place, depending on the price. You just need to know what to expect.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Stacey S, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Thank you for choosing our resort for your stay in Virginia Beach. It makes us happy that you enjoyed our location and your private balcony which is nice for admiring our stunning sunset views of Chesapeake Bay. Hopefully during your visit, you also had some time for a leisurely stroll along our quiet beach and found it relaxing. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will come back again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

The only reason I did not rate this hotel as "terrible" was due to the staff. They did the best they could to be responsive and make apologies for the many things that were wrong during our stay. While this hotel was likely a good place to stay at one time, those days are certainly long in the past - years of neglect and lack of maintenance were obvious as soon as we started toward our room- paint peeling from the walls and lying in the hallway, a musty smell and painfully slow elevators. The next sign was our room. I've never uploaded pictures on TripAdvisor, but I felt it was important to show readers that this is an honest, fair review. The electrical sockets were not secured well - the picture shows where the cable comes in (it was the worst). The couch - filthy, we wouldn't even consider sitting on it. The bottom of the refrigerator- rusted. This is an example of the general condition of the hotel. Now, that is bad enough, but how about three days of cold showers. They came to our room and spent many hours - finally telling us on day two that we had "cold and WARM" water. At that point, we knew we were likely looking at cold showers on day 3 and didn't bother to ask to be moved because there were others in the hotel complaining about not having hot water. Why go to all that trouble moving our stuff only to have the same problem. No surprise, the next morning - cold (not warm) showers again. The housecleaning was lacking. It took five minutes when they did come in - just doing the bare minimum. The carpet was filthy - we asked they come back in to vacuum. No wash clothes were left for us on our last day - I didn't realize it until I was ready to take my cold shower the next morning. To finish up this review, the ONLY reason I didn't leave on Day 1 was this was for business which required me to be onsite. I did not secure the facility and unless there are major renovations and changes, I would not recommend it for staying overnight. I will say the conference area is in better shape; the conference staff were very good and made sure things were in order.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Your feedback is very important to us, Donna, and we are truly sorry that your experience with us wasn’t enjoyed better. Please know we're researching all the items you detailed and making any necessary corrections. We hope you'll accept our apology for any inconvenience while visiting with us. We hope you found value in the stunning views of Chesapeake Bay from your balcony, and our relaxing private beach while visiting the area.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

I've visited this hotel annually for many years, since it has been the location of a conference we take students to. I've always dreaded staying there because of the condition of the property, but this year took the cake.
The hotel had recently suffered some catastrophic plumbing failure relating to their sprinkler system. There were gaping holes in ceilings and wet floors throughout the lower floors, with portable dryers running. The hotel probably shouldn't have been occupiable.
Beyond this acute problem, though, were many many other issues that have been present to some extent every time I've visited. The place is filthy. I do mean filthy. Every surface you touch, from elevator buttons to door handles to table surfaces are grimy and gross. There is visible dirt and debris on carpeting throughout the building. The floors and upholstered furniture seem completely un-vacuumed in many places. I accidentally dropped something that fell between the couch cushions, and I hesitate to even describe what my hand looked like when I retrieved the item. We had absolutely no hot water for showers any of the 3 days we were on-site. I heard (through the grapevine) that the water main break had tripped circuit breakers for the hot water heaters, and that you could toggle the breaker switch in the bathroom to fix the problem. We did so. The hot water returned to the sink and to the bathtub facet, but inexplicably the showerhead water seemed to come from some other source and remained ice cold. The tub would not drain, giving a wonderful opportunity to stand in disgusting water and see all the black material that your feet had picked up from the room carpeting. The room was not turned over and towels were not replenished once during the stay, even though I explicitly asked housekeeping to do so. We were served a banquet meal one evening — multiple of us received undercooked, pink chicken. Elevator doors would not close for minutes on end, preventing any elevator movement between floors.
This place needs a visit from the health department. It is obvious that it has been absolutely neglected for years. Speaking only for myself here, but I won't step foot in it again, conference or not.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Stacey S, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you sharing the details here. As you mentioned, we had a water pipe break last week, which led to the water issues you mentioned. We are working hard to repair the problem so it doesn't happen again. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience you experienced during this unforeseen accident as well as any problems with your room. Please be assured we're researching all the items you detailed here and will take any necessary steps for improvement.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

We recently stayed at this property for a wedding weekend. The check-in process was easy, however the hotel staff was not friendly or helpful (didn't tell us where to park, what time check out was, etc). The room setup is very strange, and the beds are located close to the hotel hallway, which is EXTREMELY NOISY. The walls are SUPER THIN so plan to hear every door open/close and everyone walk by. The door wiggled nonstop all night. The room wasn't immaculate by any means but had a refrigerator. Another hotel guest told us they had valuables stolen from their room. Location is great, but this hotel needs a major change to survive.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Stacey S, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

The stunning view of Chesapeake Bay and serene private beach are fan favorites. It makes us happy that you enjoyed our location and that you had a smooth check in. Please accept our apology for any inconveniences you experienced and know we'll review all of the details left in your feedback with our staff. We hope you still found value in our relaxing indoor pool, fitness room, and stunning Virginia Beach sunset!

Reviewed 29 October 2017

I did a site visit at this property my family as I were considering it for our annual reunion.
It was awful dated"..rooms smelled damp and musty...floor plan in rooms is very odd...the still have dial microwaves in the rooms...make this resort... Your last resort!!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank mikchaj
Stacey S, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Thank you for taking time to share feedback with others. Many of our guests tell us how relaxing it is to stay at our resort with its private beach area and delightful views of Chesapeake Bay, so we're very disappointed that you chose not to stay with us after your site visit. We hope you'll change your mind and come back to indulge in a beautiful bay sunset from your private balcony, choice of two pools and a hot tub, and complimentary bikes for touring the area.