All reviews hot water get away sea gypsy mosquito net jungle walk sibu island scuba diving sandy beach family chalet fish great weekend boat trip super friendly staff doors and windows open air sound of the waves no air conditioning
Reviewed 27 February 2013

on a small private beach...

Much has been written about the food which is excellent
and the attentive british staff, ( which seems out of place on a malaysian
island though), one must point out that the daily rate is overpriced.

The rudimentary bungalows need new thatch and plastic flaps in lieu of doors
is simply not good enough.
Esp. when snakes have been reported to be found in the
bathroom.

It is alright to be rustic but some netting closure for the wide openings, would
be more reassuring...who wants to step on some jungle creature when going to the loo
at night?. When more care is given to furnishing the bungalows, guests will enjoy staying longer, or coming back for repeat stays.

Room tip: definitely not for single women..
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Vielvereiste
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Rimba was recommended to me by several colleagues and although it wasn't the calm seas and blue skies that were mentioned (it was still rainy season, and we had one beautiful day) it was a great gateway. The staff are very personable and helpful. The accommodation was as expected although we didn't spend much time in it anyway. It was amazing how therapeutic doing nothing was. The spa was really nice and built in the trees with a view of the sea so you could hear the waves as you got your massage! The food was good and you didn't go hungry. Think i need to go back to sea what it like when it's not rainy season!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Accomodation, is basic but extremely clean, However the lack of lockable door and windows freaked me out a little when I was sleeping, but it is the true beach hut on the beach experience. All of the staff were helpful, and went out of their way to get to know you. I was blown away by the food in the evening, four course dinner each night and so tasty (especially the salad dressing!) Thanks to all at Rimba. I really hope this place never changes!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank meesht1983
Reviewed 20 February 2013

It took me a while to write this short review (we stayed there for 3 nights back in August last year) - but Carly and the team were absolutely awesome and they, in addition to the amazing reef and sunsets, made for a brilliant island holiday. The accomodation was basic but very comfortable, the mozzies weren't anything different to a Singapore beach of an evening, and the play area near the bar was a very chill place to play with a couple of 3 year olds (my daughter still wants a wooden train set!).

The main reason I'm writing this is because I told Carly I'd write my first tripadvisor review after staying there .. and I'm about to book to go back, so have to keep my promise, albeit belated.

Seriously though, I recommend Rimba as a place to get away from Singapore - just book those weekends I want to be there :-)

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2013

The food was five-star gourmet! They take requests and can even kindly make up a PB&J sandwich if some little one decides afterwards that they don't want to eat what was served. The staff was extremely accommodating. Several of our friends have gone back several times...we will be one of them, also. Great relaxing get-away in the middle of nowhere.

Room tip: The family chalet with two bedrooms are the only ones with hot shower water. No A/C in any of them.
Date of stay: October 2012