“bar or restaurant...sometimes you must choose”
Review of The Black Cat

The Black Cat
Ranked #53 of 461 Restaurants in Bellingham
Price range: US$5 - US$27
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Food was very good but the noise level caused by a heavy drinking and loud yakking contingent reduces the pleasure component considerably. It would seem that the restaurant doesn't want to decide who it is trying to appeal to in a patron. I would not choose to return unless I were in the loud yakking/drinking contingent.
I

1  Thank qwertVictoria

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Really enjoyed my meal here - had an excellent sockeye salmon salad and a couple of extremely delicious cocktails. Great atmosphere too, very cool building. It was dark and fairly loud inside - clearly a very popular place - but that doesn't bother me.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

I've wanted to try Le Chat Noir, or The Black Cat, since my kids went to school in Bellingham a few years ago. Back then, either we couldn't get in or it just didn't work out; this time it did. As we crossed the border back into the US from Canada, we were hungry and knew just the place to go. Since it was a Friday night at dinnertime, we called to see if we could get on a waitlist - no luck - we went anyway. I'm so glad we did. After traveling for 10 hours we needed a good meal (we had four hours to go!). Though there was a lineup outside the door, they were able to get our party of two right in. I ordered the french onion soup with a caesar salad topped with Dungeness crab. It was perfect. The soup was hot and cheesy and not too salty (as french onion can be) and the salad was fresh and delicious with a generous helping of real crab meat. Hubby ordered the french dip and substituted mashed potatoes for the fries. The meat was well-seasoned and lean. The staff was hopping - the restaurant was busy - but we were well cared for. It was a bit on the pricey side but not unreasonable.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Average for the price. Quality was OK. We had the Fish and Chips and the Prawn Tacos both were decent but nothing special. Service was OK. The ambience was a bit lacking. More like a slightly upscale Chili's. The view is nice though. Ask for a window seat.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Had dinner here with some friends. The atmosphere was very nice, sat at a window table overlooking a street tree on a warm summer evening. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I had fresh halibut, asparagus and mashed potatoes. Everything was perfectly cooked and delicious. My dining companions enjoyed their dinners just as much. Highly recommend and would return.