“Bit of Salsa in Bellingham Old Town”
Review of Cafe Rumba

Cafe Rumba
Ranked #26 of 485 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed 11 October 2017

We found this local cafe for Peruvian sandwiches and drinks and ordered a roasted chicken with avocado, shredded lettuces and its special sauce on a toasted bun -- on the side was roasted potatoes with sauce. It is big enough for the two of us to share and we also ordered a tomato and basil soup as a side dish. We could not finish the soup and took it home to form my base for my minestrone soup with turkey bones and meats. You can even take Salsa lessons in the cafe. A delight on the long weekend.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Need to get better buns, it was like eating “wonder bread”. Service was unfriendly and unwelcoming. Felt like we were bothering them. They want you to bus your table which is fine but they really should wipe the tables down. They were all dirty when we sat down. The sandwiches were just ok, we tried to ask a few questions about the menu when we were ordering and couldn’t really get an answer. We won’t be going back.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

The Butifarra is my favorite, but there are many great sandwiches, almost all of them different from the standard sandwich fare available anywhere else in the area. With a friendly staff, lots of good options to choose from and reasonable prices, this is a place we'll be going back to.

Somewhat similar to cuban food, but with more spices, and more sandwich varieties - pork is the featured meat, though they have chicken etc. What really sets it apart are the sauces and the pairings with veggies, as well as the sliced potatoes with some kind of slightly spicy aioli-like sauce.

This is different, and really worth a try. Everything is accessible (nothing weird), but the flavors are unusual - it's an experience you won't soon forget.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Deliciously spicy and delightfully textured, a mouthful of fresh, zingy, creamy and crunchy. A friendly cafe with an artsy vibe. Try the delicious refreshing drinks too- a tiny bit too sweet but would be perfect on ice.
We had he salad versions of the sandwiches and they were delectable. Accommodating order takers took care to adapt my order to be free of cheese/dairy. The only thing better would be if I had added a fried egg to it. Can I do that? I'm not sure, but I know I'll enjoy my next meal at Cafe Rumba as soon as I'm anywhere near Bellingham!

Reviewed 12 September 2017

We had the chicken sandwich with the spicy potatoes. It was good. The owner was kind enough to step in and suggest where we should park as to not get towed.

Casual place, nothing fancy, but the food is unique.

My favorite part - the cream filled shortbread cookies. They melt in your mouth. So good!