“The Reel McCoys meet The Real McCoy!”
Review of The Real McCoy

The Real McCoy
Ranked #143 of 466 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed two incredible meals, the braised oxtail with quinoa and the beef sliders with whiskey soaked onions! Of all the drinks I have ever ordered, I had never had an Old-Fashioned! The one they make here is custom-mixed in a barrel…Yes, it's on tap and served on a rock--an iced rock! Wow, I have a new favorite cocktail! Our last name is McCoy, so we enjoyed the story on the menu about William McCoy selling whiskey! The clientele here is interesting and sophisticated, and we enjoyed talking with the folks near our table. We will definitely come here again when we are boating in Bellingham!

Reviewed 29 March 2017

My husband and I decided to stop by this place for a cocktail before heading out to dinner. What a treasure! We hated to leave. We were greeted quite kindly by the bartender (and I am assuming owner). He took great care and finesse when creating our cocktails. I ordered the fold fashioned, and it was LOVELY! My husband ordered the Brave Little Fighter. Also delish. We enjoyed the drinks, ambiance, and music so much, after dinner we went back for a nightcap. We will definitely be back. We didn't eat food here, and looked at the menu, but nothing popped out at us, but we will give it a try next time. If you want a real drink, this is your place.

Reviewed 12 November 2016

We've been coming here since it opened upon the recommendation of friends who, like us, like a good drink and want well-prepared, interesting food to go with it. What we have found for several years now is a relatively cozy place (the bar seats around 9, the comfortable room another 30 or so) that consistently attracts a wide clientele from working folks in their mid-20s up through the ages to older people like us – retired. You might call it "Cheers with class".
Every time we come as a twosome we sit at the bar, and meet and chat with someone new and interesting, of any age. If four of us come, we're at a table. This is a place where the TV is on but usually the sound is off and instead there is good jazz or pop in the background and people are having good conversations. The ambience is comfortable and casual and welcoming, the patrons are often from the colleges, law, technical and financial businesses that abound in the town. Unless they're on their way from work, they're tieless, casual and relaxed. We all come for the ambiance, and excellent drinks prepared by the owner, Brandon, who is behind the bar, assisted by Shannon. Even Brandon himself says, "we want folks to come for the drinks and stay for the food", and that's what we do. The food is generally modest in portion but excellent in quality, prepared by creative chefs in the visible kitchen in back. The menu changes seasonally and is always interesting and broad enough (though moderate in number of dishes) to meet almost any taste preference. But the libations are the reason you come (folks don't often ask for a Bud or 7&7 here) and there's always an exciting concoction to try, as well as the traditional standards, carefully poured by folks who recognize good drinks and taste. After a few visits, they'll know your name and offer you your favorite (if you're wise, you'll also try new suggestions, too!) The Real McCoy prices are worth it. For two of us, with a round or two, and food three dishes shared, the tab is around $50-$55 plus tip and we've eaten enough.
We sometimes pay it forward and put a friend's name up on the "message" board to buy them a drink on their first visit...they love it --- and you'll smile knowing you've introduced them to a place that will likely become their favorite.
(Free parking in front and after 5, alongside, too.)

Reviewed 6 October 2016

When I go out for a drink I like to enjoy the subtler aspects of the evening. As a business owner in a college town I spend some evenings around noise, but when I go somewhere alone or with a small group I always end up at the Real McCoy. The bartenders here are impeccable, consistent, professional, and thoughtful. This is a place where I can go in and within seconds have a glass of water in front of me, a warm greeting, and a question "you want your usual, or..." and today I went in and I felt a little different, like I wanted to deviate a bit from the usual. The bartender moved a little closer and asked a few questions... like, "are you feeling a little like this, a little like that, or maybe....", and he took this information and sort of planned out a drink for me and you know what it was perfect. While I enjoy a fine cocktail prepared by a great bartender (I'm a martini drinker), I enjoy all the more someone taking time to craft me something particular. Here's to the best bar in Bham!

Reviewed 8 May 2016

My daughter and I had a fun meal with sharing several tapas. We each enjoyed a fruity local craft cocktail that was delicious. The service was timely and perfect.