“RUDE and HEARTLESS - AVOID!”
Review of Deer Harbor Inn

Deer Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Deer Harbor
Reviewed 3 July 2017

AVOID! I reserved a six night stay about four months in advance. We were to stay from June 14th and checking out on June 20th. On June 6th my Step-Father was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer (with a prognosis of less than six months). After absorbing the news for two days, I began calling to cancel all of our vacation reservations...whale watching, a B&B in Sequim, a hotel in Leavenworth, (among others), and Deer Harbor Inn. All reservations were easily cancelled (with no fees - I was willing, and expecting, to pay partial fees, but no one would accept that offer. They all insisted on a full refund.) Except Deer Harbor Inn.
On June 8th when I called and explained that I had found out only two days ago (on June 6th) of my Step-Father's diagnosis, the woman at Deer Harbor Inn, said, "You can't cancel. You have to come."
I was dumbfounded. I said, "I am calling to inform you that we won't be coming."
She then said, "You can only cancel three weeks in advance of the reservation."
I said, "I didn't know about Stage 4 Lung Cancer two weeks ago. I am calling you as soon as I am able - emotionally, to deal with cancelling this trip. It was not the first thing on my mind." I asked for a partial refund.
She re-stated that the reservation would not be cancelled, I had not informed her three weeks ago - of a diagnosis that did not exist at that time.
After taking a deep breath, I said very calmly, "I truly hope you never have to face something like this in you life." At that point she HUNG UP ON ME.
THE FINAL OUTCOME: I reserved through Travelzoo (an online booking agency). The woman at Deer Harbor Inn redeemed my travel vouchers on June 8th - the day I called to cancel, and 7 days in advance of our original arrival date. I called Travelzoo and informed them of the situation. They called Deer Harbor Inn while I waited on hold. Travelzoo came back on the line, apologized profusely, and within a week I had a full refund from Travelzoo.
Read other reviews related to cancellations due to health issues, you will see this is how Deer Harbor Inn behaves routinely. RUDE and HEARTLESS.

Room Tip: Just Don't!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank AKcabingirlA
dhinn, Owner at Deer Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

The rules with any big discounted deals are you can always use the cash value.
Sorry that after holding six night's you for a long time you had to cancel .
Remember that you could always have the value you paid for, for ever.
When you purchase a discounted deal this is in the contract.
It is not fun to get your own way and I am sorry that you reacted the way you did.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed in Room 8 of the lodge. Wonderful quiet location. Large comfortable room with private bath. Room is large enough to have table with chairs to hang out in. Fridge in room. Microwave out in common area of lodge. Corner room with Windows on both sides, one window right over bed so great ventilation. View is of forest and well kept grounds from this room on the second floor back of lodge. Saw deer and large bunnies out the windows! There was an electric fireplace that didn't seem to be working but we didn't need it. Only issue we had was one morning I ran out of hot water while taking a shower. We would stay here again, I would definately recommend it.

I'd only recommend the restaurant if it is nice enough to eat outside on their beautiful patio. Food was good but nothing special compared to other choices you could make on the Island.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2017

We stayed in an Orchard cottage and would definitely return. Island is super quiet and makes for a peaceful getaway. Rooms were knotty pine and King bed that may be one of the most comfortable hotel mattresses I've slept in. Private hot tube on back porch was clean and covered so could be used year round. Cottages had small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc. Also small tv and dvd player with a stock of movies. We drove to the top of Mt. Constitution...a view that should not be missed! Be sure to note what restaurants are open when you are visiting as mid-week options are a bit thin. Lots of restaurants are open only on weekends though as tourist season amps up that may change. .

Stayed: May 2017
1  Thank Eileen A
Reviewed 4 April 2017

We stayed at the cottage on the bluff. It was one room, had a bathroom, little kitchenette, microwave, toaster oven, tv/dvd player, fireplace and a hot tub. It was all that we needed to have an enjoyable time. We used the directions that were emailed to us, very easy to find. Staff was waiting in the office to give us our bag and show us where to go. The only difficulty we had was where to leave the key when we were leaving.

Room Tip: The cottage on the bluff has a view and a hottub!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2017

The Pond cottage was wonderful. Beautiful views all over the area. It was very spacious with large beds and great decor. It included a full kitchen with dishwasher, and also a laundry room. The hot tub was wonderful even on a cold night. The only downside was that it's about a 20 minute drive into town but if you want peace and relaxation, then this is the place to be.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
9.4 km away
Rosario Resort and Spa
Rosario Resort and Spa
#2 of 5 in Eastsound

Been to Deer Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!