“My local chowder house! ”

Wally's Chowder House
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Des Moines
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

As everyone say the chowder, the fish n chips n so on you'll like it too! Parking is tight but around the block is no problem but worth the wait!

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

The place has a good atmosphere and the food was amazing! Best clam chowder ever!
They had live music and I had an amazing time with husband! No doubts I’d come back anytime

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We are traveling to China and had a night in Seattle. Found this on Yelp! Excellent from the beginning! So cute from the outside and walking in didn’t disappointment. Just cozy feeling. The service couldn’t be better, and the food was delicious. The chowder was some the best I’ve had. Had a combo plate. Loved the coconut prawns, scallops and cod! So fresh. Portion sizes were very good! 3 couples and all were happy and satisfied!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Seriously...just have a big bowl of the clam chowder, some bread and call it a night. We had (3 orders) of lobster (@26.99each) and it was overcooked and super chewy. The tail meats were laid across HUGE tails that the meat obviously didn't come from. Ive never seen lobster served that way, even for presentation. Another person in our party had prawns that also seemed overcooked and "dry" tasting.
The chowder however? BEST ever and we'd of all been happier to have saved the huge bill if we'd of just stayed with the chowder. Be advised...it was presented to the table like a salad of chowder was a part of the meal..after taking the orders, our waitress asked about a salad or chowder. We all ordered chowder. I'm not saying it was done on purpose but it would have been nice for those that maybe dont notice any fine print or clues...if it was presented as an optional add on to the meal and not a part of it. 5 cups added another 25.00 to the bill and while worth every penny (the chowder) it jst would have been nice to have known since it was our first visit.
If I go back tomorrow night, it'll be worth the wait (its a popular and crowded place but they do a great job on seating people promptly when they can) Just for the chowder...I'm telling you. The chowder is where its at, best Ive ever had.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Having grown up in South Jersey with a mother who retired in the most beautiful seashore resort in the country, Cape May...and attending college in New England, this place reminded me of many of the old style fish house restaurants we frequented. The exterior is beautiful and quaint with lovely large hanging flower baskets. Inside is somewhat tight quarters and usually packed with people. I enjoyed the fish house ambiance, but it's by no means a great place for quiet conversation. Those places have become almost impossible to find.

My wife and I and another couple (old friends) were almost immediately seated at 5:00 on a Saturday evening, which was a very good thing...as it became busier and busier. Our waiter, Sean was friendly, courteous and attentive, though not overly so. It was St. Patty's Day, so three of us ordered Guinness black & tans and one a martini. Bartender did a pretty nice job on the black & tans, keeping them separated in the glass. For dinner, my buddy had two medium sized Maine lobster tails ($40) and his wife had the giant "slab" of breaded cod with fries (don't recall the price). My wife had the Dungeness crab leg meat fettucine with about 6-8 big hunks of crab ($20.99) and I had the razor clams with fries and cole slaw ($17.99). The three decent sized clams were delicious, if a tad chewy and slightly over breaded...but very flavorful. Apparently many folks think the fries are the best. For me, I prefer a thinner cut and these were in between that and typical steak fries. I felt they were good...not great.

I was pretty stuffed by departure time, so the portions were more than adequate. But like a couple of other reviewers here, I thought the prices were a little high...but perhaps not for the big city (Seattle) and 'burbs like Des Moines. We would return because there are other menu items I'd like to try. But that could be a while, as we live on the Kitsap Peninsula, an hour plus (and a bridge or ferry) away. Total cost before tip for wife and I and including the drinks I bought for the table was $72.00.

1  Thank Lim48

Been to Wally's Chowder House? Share your experiences!