“Dependably Delicious”

Ranked #56 of 283 Restaurants in Kirkland
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Spud Fish & Chips in Juanita has been a neighborhood, family owned landmark since 1969. We are located just across the street from the Juanita Beach Park and our meals are cooked to order. From our family to yours, we thank you for making our tradition such a success over the years.
Reviewed 15 January 2018

It's been a year or two since the wife and I have had occasion to visit this location, but we have certainly yearned for their wonderful cod and chips. We were so glad to visit the other day for lunch. We each ordered a double cod (A very bountiful serving!!!), and we were not disappointed. Wish I knew how they create a nice, tasty thin jacket of breading on the outside but the fish remains grease-free and flavorful inside. Masterful! Fries were decent. Seating area was clean and comfortable for the half-hour visit, employees were friendly and took solid care of us. There is ample parking on both sides of the building. Visiting the bathroom involves a trip down a funky little hallway that parallels the kitchen - a little strange, and think there is only one potty. We like the fact that it is across the street from the park and dock, but weather dictated that we would just enjoy the view from our seat. Wonderful fish, so hate to be picky but I really don't like paying extra for tartar sauce (take a lesson from Ivar's, please) and honestly, it is not the best tartar recipe (take another lesson from Ivar's). Still, love the place & am already yearning to eat more of their wonderful cod, which is pretty much better than anyone else's (Ivar's could take a lesson from them).

Reviewed 6 December 2017

A colleague and I stumbled upon this place while on an evening drive to enjoy waterfront views...it's a small diner type setting, where you order at the counter, with a variety of fried seafood, and of course spuds. I had the salmon & chips with their housemade aoli, and a Stubborn vanilla cream soda and they were all delicious! I gave a 4-star rating for their food only because I would've enjoyed a seafood option that wasn't fried. What made this straightforward meal for me was the setting. Out the window while eating, is a beautiful park-like setting with the water behind. Seeing people walking their dogs and relaxing in the park, on the water, makes a meal all that more enjoyable to me.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Great location across Juanita Beach Park. Some seating inside and some outside, with park and lake view. You can also take your food to the park and have a nice lakside picnic experience. Service is usually provided by minimum wage kids, but it's OK. The problem is that the ever increasing prices add up. They charge separately for sauces, maio etc. I've seen families with multiple kids gasp quite a few times when the summary final price of their fast food meal comes up.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

I wrote a review 3 years ago when I visited this location and as always enjoyed the fish but did not like the extra charge for tartar sauce, but I got over it and we visited it again last week. I still like the taste of the fish but my wife had fried prawns for almost $11 and the were 5 of the smallest "prawns”, see the attached picture, To charge this much, over $2.00 a prawn, and serve this skimpy a portion is a poor business choice!. And of course "chips" were an additional $1.85.
The location is right by Juanita Beach so the message they chose is; we are the only fast food by the beach, so we'll do what we want as the customer does not matter when they don't have a choice.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

My wife warned me that it was not very good the last time we ate at a Spuds, some 20 years ago. It has not improved. We sprang for the halibut & chips, thinking it would be better than the cod. The piece of fish was so thin, maybe 3/8" thick, that it could not be cooked any way except too much - the fish was dry and tasteless. The chips were cool at best, obviously not very fresh. We lived in West Seattle many years ago and the local Spuds was a favorite. Not so much any more.

Cara M, Manager at Spud Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2017

I am sorry that your experience at the Alki Spud Fish & Chips was less than what you hoped for based on past experiences. That location is a seperate owner than the other locations. I do hope that you will visit us in one of our other locations in Kirkland, Edmonds or Greenlake to experience the traditional menu you grew up loving 20 years ago!