“Good food but quite pricey”
Review of Budapest Bistro

Budapest Bistro
Ranked #26 of 307 Restaurants in Lynnwood
Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

We couldn't believe that the place has been around for awhile. Truly a hole in a wall. The place is nicely decorated. The server was extremely nice...sweet type. We did not know about no menu. The price ison the board. But we didn't mind since the foods were made from scratch and delicious although I wished to have the purple cabbage with my pork cutlet. Loved the beef goulash...so tender and flavorful. Overall, we will definitely come back here again.

Reviewed 16 March 2016 via mobile

Glad I found this on TA. Menu for today consisted of three main dishes. I opted for the Stroganoff with spatzel and a potato and sausage soup. Oh boy. Served with fresh rye bread, very flavorful. Lots of Hungarian paprika in the Stroganoff, and the soup was so amazing. Wished I could have the spiced wine, but I was on my way to work. They sell pastries that are all home made as well. I tried the streusel and blackberry cake, so good. I can't wait to come back and have the cabbage rolls.

Reviewed 16 March 2016 via mobile

Wife and I have been wanting to try this place for a while. Everything is made from scratch right there. The food is amazing and rotates daily. Everything is good. This is not fast food but the wait is well worth it. Go and enjoy.

Reviewed 8 February 2016

Budapest Bistro is not a fancy place, not at all. However, the food was very good and the service was wonderful. The menu is limited to a few entrees each day and each day's fare, along with the prices, are written on the menu board. Again, not fancy. I chose the cucumber salad (wonderful) while my companion had the coleslaw (best he'd ever had, he said). I chose the Chicken Paprikas with spaetzel - it was well cooked and flavorful. The spaetzel was excellent. DC had the wienerschnitzel and said he enjoyed it. He tried the green apple lemonade, but didn't care for that. DC enjoyed the coconut cake dessert. Overall, I would go back. Nice interaction with the owner. This is the kind of place that I enjoy - different cuisine, non-chain dining experience.

Reviewed 7 January 2016

Since I know my way around Hungarian cuisine, I can attest that several of the daily menu items are far from the native tradition. While the chicken paprika may come close to an authentic recipe, and the spätzle or cabbage rolls are OK, what passes for a pörkölt (or gyulás as it's known elsewhere) doesn't bear any trace of the flavorful, paprika-infused stew one should expect. The pork version was dry - more like shredded pork one finds in Mexican restaurants. A Lecso or Letscho should be a vegetable dish of bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes in a rich sauce, but at the Bistro it turns into a rice-laden plate with a few slices of smoky (Dunaj) sausage. It's tasty all right, but no way what was expected. Oddly, sauerkraut here is served as a salad, and not part of the meal. I have never encountered that before. The service is acceptable, and the desserts are truly home-made, but with little of the flair that a good Hungarian cook would excel in. A couple of oddities are the absence of a printed menu (you don't know what your bill will be until the owner rings it up!) and the daily changing limited menu. At least a prix-fixe price would be expected then, but at the high cost of the Bistro's food, maybe it's easier to conceal the expense and so force the guest to accept the fact that the Bistro serves simple home-style cooking at fancy prices.

Been to Budapest Bistro? Share your experiences!