“Texas BBQ, like it oughta be!”
Review of Old School BBQ

Old School BBQ
Ranked #10 of 76 Restaurants in Monroe
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 3 May 2017

As you drive along Highway 2, and see the old school buses sitting near the reptile zoo, take the time to stop and visit Old School BBQ. (open Thursday through Sunday)
I've eaten BBQ all over the US, and having lived in Texas, I learned how to smoke brisket from a true Texan, so of course, I had to try the brisket sandwich here. No filler, just piles of thick cut brisket, heavy on the smoke ring and just the right amount of bark, layered with sauce. YUM! While waiting for our food, we got to enjoy some great conversation with the owners and let that good mesquite smoke start us drooling.
The baked beans are absolutely homemade and just what you would expect for real Texas pintos and the macaroni salad (while I like mine sweeter) is also true to the Texas style, full of dill and sour creaminess. I regret not trying a chunk of the cornbread but we'll be back because this is the real deal!
Take the time to stop and enjoy a bite, it's well worth the trip or the detour before heading up Steven's Pass, or on your way home.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

The best brisket outside of Texas-hands down! For those who know Austin BBQ, tt rivals Franklin's. Their pinto beans are delicious; my husband drove from Shoreline to bring me back a crock pot of beans for my birthday! Call ahead if arriving after 3 pm to be sure they haven't run out of your favorites. Great take-away, eat at picnic tables or limited seating inside a modified school bus so it's not accessible for all. PS: they serve Dr Pepper and Coke products, too.

Reviewed 28 May 2016 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch, Hubby had the ribs and I had a pulled pork sandwich, both were very good, nice smoky flavour. The owners were very friendly. It was definitely worth the detour.

Reviewed 24 March 2016

Never been to their school bus on Hiway 2 but we've had their bar-b-q all over town at catered events & chamber meetings in Sultan. Great bar-b-q & potato salad. Consistent.

Reviewed 14 January 2016

Smoky and tender. The very best. Check their hours befor you go. They are limited in open hours but worth the drive.

Been to Old School BBQ? Share your experiences!