Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews orcas island otter cove last summer living room san juans tubs yurt sauna cafe accommodations futon summers refrigerator buck constitution
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 August 2018

Pros:
- beautiful location
- we enjoyed the restaurant
- the dish washing/"comfort" area was a huge plus
- our campsite was clean

Cons:
- our campsite had no picnic bench
- the property seemed unattended to for paying so much money... examples were lights were out on the walkways back to camp, which made it hard to locate my tent, lost and found items were left in various places for several days (I was expecting the staff would do a walk through at some point and collect them)
- the comfort area seemed it could also use some more lights
- the portapotties were way past pump due date, it was not pleasant

My group decided next time we will camp on a cheaper state run campsite that is just as beautiful!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank julessimone
Reviewed 14 August 2018

This resort seemed beautiful when we first arrived. We were pretty disappointed with the fact that we had 1 fork and 0 plates, when we went to make dinner, but the next morning they brought us additional silverware and dishes.
My ultimate complaint with this resort is their "spa". They have 3 soaking pools.. not naturally sourced, but the view is beautiful, and there is also a giant sauna, and all of this is included for guests of the resort.
It was very chilly when we arrived and we tried to go to soak, but were informed upon entrance that we were too late, at 9:50pm. The people who work here were very awesome and kind.. just wish they made the spa comfortable for all who attend, not just sexual predators. We walked in and saw several men immediately exit the baths to expose themselves to us. We weren't at all unhappy to leave.
The next morning we tried again and were happy to find that there were pools with people in swimsuits, and we had an option if we felt uncomfortable being in a tub with naked men.
The next morning we decided to try to go soak and look at the beautiful scenery before heading out, and were unpleasantly surprised to find that there were naked men in all 3 pools. I have been the victim of assault. I want to be able to relax and enjoy the scenery without having to be subjected to men exposing themselves to me aggressively. I did not know this resort's spa was "clothing optional" before arriving, but was not concerned initially, because other places I've stayed with similar policies have pools reserved for women only, or for people who prefer clothing on for all. We all have our comfort zones, and why can't those be respected at Doe Bay Resort? They have 3 pools.
When we saw naked men we didn't care to soak with in all three tubs, we decided to try the sauna. We were delighted to see no one in the sauna, and settled in to relax. Within 2 minutes, one of the naked guys who had been in a pool by himself came into the sauna and sat right next to me. It is a very large sauna, and I'm certain he did this to intimidate me. I felt uncomfortable. I immediately got up and commented on the fact that there was an open pool all the sudden. We left the sauna and got in the empty pool. About 30 seconds after, a naked man jumped out of the third pool and rushed over to ours. I looked at his face and he had a sick smirk on it that I will never get out of my head. The second he got in the tub with me and my friend, I got out. I went back to my cabin. I felt traumatized. Doe Bay could make an effort to make women feel more comfortable by making one of their 3 pools "women only", by making one pools, "clothing mandatory", or by having someone on staff prevent aggressive sexual harassment and intimidation by being there and regulating. I will never go back. So incredibly disappointing.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
13  Thank eleighp
Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

The view Doe bay has is amazing. The lodging , not so great. We had a deluxe queen cabin. The bed was squeaky and rolled towards the middle. No sink in bathroom only a small one in the kitchen. There is no room cleaning. I would think for over $200 a night they would sweep the floor and make the bed. We were there for a private event which made for a good atmosphere. I can’t imagine what it’s like when the resort is full. Best part of the place are the hummingbirds.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Swimmy128
DoeDaddy, General Manager at Doe Bay Resort & Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

Thanks for the feedback. We're sincerely sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. It is always our goal for our guests to walk away satisfied and when we don't succeed it causes us to reflect on how we could have done it better and take steps to address. We do offer a variety of lodging options, for most budgets. From smaller style cabins like the one you describe to large cabins with full bathrooms and kitchens. We also offer yurts and domes and waterless cabins for those looking for a more rustic experience. It is no secret that the San Juan Islands aren't exactly a budget destination, especially in the summertime, for all of the same reasons that island destinations worldwide are more expensive than other destinations. That said I don't think we are that much more expensive than our mainland counterparts even though the costs of goods and services on island are substantially higher. I'm seeing $170 a night for Red Roof Inn in SeaTac. We also offer camping which ensures that people of all backgrounds and budgets have access. We go to great lengths to make it clear on the website what kind of accommodation you are booking when you use our online reservation system and our front desk is trained to describe the room in full so that there are no misunderstandings.

You are correct that we don't offer daily housekeeping services and we never have. I'm sorry if this was a surprise to you. We do make all efforts to accommodate daily servicing of rooms from housekeeping, upon request. As for the bed in your unit we are constantly upgrading mattresses and guest feedback helps us identify mattresses that need replaced. We change on a schedule but some units get more use than others. It is helpful when guests let us know about issues while still here, or upon departure, so we can be sure which cabin is in question and can be sure to address. Often, we will have an extra new mattress ready for replacement that we can substitute.

We appreciate that you took the time to offer us feedback. We truly take it to heart and will use it to improve. Thanks again!

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Very lovely getaway retreat spot!
Second time visiting at the same time a year in June. We car camp and enjoy the community kitchen and clean bathrooms and showers. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Last year we did the kayaking and enjoyed the crystal clear waters right out front with a very knowledgeable guide. The restaurant is heavenly and we treat ourselves to that at least once.
Hop in the car and we are off to several different great parks for hiking. Look forward to our next visit!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2018

We stayed here for a couple nights around christmas time and it was very lovely. We got a great deal on a cute little cabin placed conveniently close to the main office and the spa. The view of the water was amazing! I really loved this place and will definitely stay here again!!!!

Room tip: close to the spa
Date of stay: December 2017