“Very good ”

Kizuki Ramen & Izakaya
Ranked #44 of 354 Restaurants in Olympia
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

I had miso ramen with egg. The soup was done right and chashu seemed to pan fried and it was really yummy. If you look at back of the menu, there are at least 10 chains of kizuki in Japan, a couple of them in Taiwan, etc. I was expecting Japanese chefs in the kitchen but there were Caucasian in the kitchen. So when I first went into the restaurant, I doubted if I can get authentic Japanese ramen, well I was wrong. Whoever cooked, well... Great job!!!! Loved Taste of Miso broth. I enjoyed every bite of ramen and soup. I hope I can go back to taste more of that flavorful Japanese authentic ramen.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

Who was the experience new for?
Authentic Japanese ramen was new to the family....we thought we were quite continental.
Navigating the menu took a bit of studying, and lots of questions of our waitress.
I ordered Spicy Dipping noodles with woodear mushrooms and pork belly. My parents ordered the Spicy Miso ramen and the Ten Don.
We shared the fried boneless chicken kanaage and spicy mayo dipping sauce and the pork gyoza for appetizers.
We all had trouble with the chopsticks, but my chopstick skills were shaken so we all got cheaters (forks).
The pork belly literacy melted in my mouth, and the vegetables were fresh and prepared very well. Nice flavors with plenty of seasoning. The tempura vegetables were hot crunchy and perfectly prepared. The spicy pork ramen broth was amazing....not sweet, not salty and very flavorful.
Everything about our dining experience was very pleasurable, even if we had to ask many questions and get many suggestions for the best way to experience the authentic Japanese cuisine. It was a cultural experience, which was a pleasant surprise.
We, as a family, all agreed that we'd be returning for more of this dining experience.
If you're worried about trying something new and different, don't be afraid to give this place a try.....just ask lots of questions and keep an open mind.
I really liked the dining experience, as did my family and we recommend Kizuki Ramen Izakaya.

1  Thank Armchair C
Reviewed 19 June 2017

My experience with ramen (aka ramYon, as I learned it in Korea) has been, up til now, one of those packages of noodles, a mostly salt spice/seasoning packet and some dehydrated vegetables. I'm no snob: I lived on ramyon for most of my minimum wage income life. I learned to add green onion, sliced carrots and an egg to make a satisfying meal. However, I'm older now and can't take the high sodium levels in most commercially made ramen.

Kizuki's menu was extensive and varied. Oh, you can have all sorts of ramen but it's not confined to that. This isn't your typical Sushi/tempura place and is certainly NOT the tired ol' Japanese steak house where grown men play with YOUR food and toss eggs in their hats. Nope, not here.

Ramen, apparently, has many more guises than the stuff you get at the supermarket.

I had an interesting and highly satisfying meal.
I first had to ask what Izakaya meant, and was informed that it was, basically, appetizers. I ordered the spinach, then ordered the main meal of Karaoge(spelling?) Don chicken. It arrived hot and very good. It's chicken, deep fat fried with a nicely flavored sauce atop it. It was perched atop a salad with sticky rice at the bottom of the bowl.
My spinach was very good, too.

I have one complaint, and that is: the bowl the karaoge don was served in was inadequate to the job. It looked like a porcelain egg, cut on the diagonal. It was large enough to hold my meal but everything was precariously balanced and should you want to dig down into the bottom for some rice, SOMETHING...the chicken, most lkely, is going to fall off onto the table top or floor!

I heartily dislike 'fancy', unorthodox dishware like this. It adds atmosphere, I suppose, but you can't eat atmosphere. I don't like having eat with chopsticks in one hand and holding the food on the plate (as in a square one) or in the 'bowl" as in this case, with the other.

The owners provide a comment flyer where one can make suggestions, etc, and I emailed my above opinion to the owner about the bowls.
Change them, PLEASE! No one will care if you use plain ol' round plates. Round is good. The shape has served admirably for a thousand years, why mess with engineering success?

This isn't to say the ramen/noodle dishes are served that way. The folks next to me had ramen and it came in a large BOWL, which held everything in place and off their tabletop.

Service was prompt, professional and cheerful. Make sure to ask for the code to the bathroom, as there's lots of homeless people downtown who would love to take a bath in a nice, clean and roomy bathroom like Kizuki's.

Portions were ample and very good. Parking is on the street and during the workweek, costs. But on weekends and after 5 PM it's free parking. The restaurant itself is large enough for groups and is very clean.

This restaurant is part bar, so look for the signs that say no one under 21. But fear not: your kids can eat there, in fact there were two families with kids. Olympia, after all, is a family town.

I haven't tried the ramen, but I might, next time. The variety of food is fascinating, so I may take a while before I actually get ramen.

Reviewed 25 April 2017

The food was great and authentic. The soup base for the ramen was excellent as well as the Chicken Karaage (crispy fried chicken) I had the Karaage Don and my wife had the chicken shoyu Ramen. The food was ono (meaning delicious in Hawaiian language).
Another word in pidgin is “broke da mout” go and check it out!

2  Thank ranger002us
Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

Drinks-they were tasty and potent....I ordered another. We had gyoza and different kinds of ramen, UMAMI-TASTIC!!!! Only complaint distracted server (with mandatory 18% gratuity) forgot to put in appetizers until reminded, then 1/2 of them came near end of meal, items asked to be off the ramen came with double (no biggie, picked it out). I'll be back :)

1  Thank Nancy T