“Just excellent, both service and food”

Gardner's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gardner's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 354 Restaurants in Olympia
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Gardner's has been family owned since 1983 and has proven to be the favorite place to dine in Olympia. Gardner's Executive Chef Dan Keith favors the freshest local and seasonal ingredients. Everything is created from scratch, including soups and sauces to an abundance of desserts. With many local wines offered by the glass or by bottle, you are sure to find that perfect pour for any entrée. We hope you join us soon. Make your reservation by telephone or online at Open Table.
Reviewed 10 September 2017

First of all, the place looks fine from the outside. Very clean and lots of parking. But yes, once inside, the atmosphere is great. Lots of spacing, soft but uplifting music, good lighting. Then the service starts, and from the first contact, you just know everyone loves working there, and all have received excellent training. Courteous, friendly, helpful, never overbearing. Our server was Mary, but my observation was that all servers were of the same caliber. Our cocktails were perfectly prepared. Stuffed mushroom appetizer was flavorful and plentiful, and not salty (nothing was). Both side salads were a cut above. I had the Cioppino and my wife had pink prawns with risotto, a special. Both were just excellent. I marveled that my tomato stock was so deep red and rich, and yet still tasted like fresh tomatoes. I have no idea how this is possible, and I've tried cooking it many ways. It is not tomato paste, which would be too sweet. We speculated that the stock must have been cooking for at least a couple days... Dessert was huckleberry bread pudding, with real Idaho or W. Montana berries. Just perfect. I would like to go back many times and have the entire menu. It's that good. As for cost, you get what you pay for. You can see the prices on-line. They are justified by all aspects of this restaurant, and so was our above-normal tip. So happy to have this restaurant in Olympia.

1  Thank Buell F
274JJJ, Owner at Gardner's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Thank you so much for your review! We work very hard to make each guest feel special and hope their meal is perfect. We are so happy to hear that your evening was memorable, and we certainly hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Gardner's is all about serving excellent food in an atmosphere that allows you to concentrate on enjoying the food and your companions. No TV screens. No cutesy drawings or remarks on the menu. Nothing to distract you. The interior is understated and sophisticated; the food is simply and expertly prepared. No heavy or exotic sauces to mask the flavor of the food. I highly recommend it for those looking for a place to eat and enjoy the company of their dining companions.

Thank you so much for your kind words. It pleases us greatly to hear that you enjoyed your evening so much, it is certainly what we work towards. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Out of the way location in Olympia down by the Waterfront and across from the Doubletree Olympia Hotel I stay @ frequently. Quiet atmosphere, attentive staff and good food were the order of the night. I was impressed with the quality and presentation; but will warn you that the meal can be a little pricey. Not outrageous but definitely something that got my attention. I've only been back a couple of times over the past 2 years but it's definitely worth the experience.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Small but reliable Olympia restaurant near Percival Landing. I'm not sure how long it's been open but I remember our first visit back in 1990 and it was great then. Our most recent visit was in August and it was a pleasure. Good food, good wine and great service.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

A good dinner experience is just that -- an experience. It's the food, it's the wine, it's the company you share the meal with, it's the ambiance, it's the smile a staff member gives you as you walk to your seat, it's the enthusiasm the waitress brings to your discussion about what to order. Sometimes it's about finding a gem of a restaurant when you totally weren't expecting it. It's the whole thing, and Gardner's simply hit it out of the park for me in all regards.

I do not live in Olympia, but travel here periodically. I've passed by this restaurant a few times and didn't give it much thought. But when the door opened, a romantic gem was found inside. If I lived out here this is where my wife and I would eat when we're looking for a nice, romantic evening together. I ate here with a work colleague, but I could still appreciate the intimate ambiance this small room created.

My meal consisted of Calimari for starters. Fresh. The Aioli was a perfect match. I ordered the Seafood Trio, which consisted of prawns, scallop, dungeness crab, onions, and mushrooms. The garlic, lemon and butter fit well. All fresh. I can't say which bite was my favorite - the first or the last. My dinner with my colleague was eaten in silence, both of us enjoying each and every bite.

A large dessert tray was brought around for us to drool over. My meal was absolutely perfect and didn't want to ruin it by eating too much, but the desserts looked fresh and unique, as well.

Can't give Gardner's a high enough rating.

1  Thank Siobhan and Jim W