“A perfect evening with friends!”

Gardner's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gardner's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 354 Restaurants in Olympia
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Gardner's has been family owned since 1983 and has proven to be the favorite place to dine in Olympia. Gardner's Executive Chef Dan Keith favors the freshest local and seasonal ingredients. Everything is created from scratch, including soups and sauces to an abundance of desserts. With many local wines offered by the glass or by bottle, you are sure to find that perfect pour for any entrée. We hope you join us soon. Make your reservation by telephone or online at Open Table.
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Outstanding dinner, excellent service, perfect ambiance - by far the best of three different upscale dining establishments where we had dinner. Will definitely return. Five stars.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

So, I may not be the least biased person writing this review. My husband and I went for our anniversary - although this is viewed as one of the popular local restaurants we were one of only 3 tables. We selected the "best" seating based on reviews - there are no "views" - it is an old dumpy building away from the water - our view was of the parking lot with a stained glass window in place. The Caesar salad came with no dressing. When I inquired of our server, the salad disappeared and didn't return clothed... in fact, it didn't return at all. Our entrees were mediocre. I don't even remember the dessert. Our server spent most of her time visiting with friends seated at a nearby table. It was the most disappointing anniversary (or any) dinner I have had since it had really been talked up by a coworker. When I told him how disappointing it was, he said he learned the chef had walked out a few days before... that being the case, there should have been a disclaimer... and I should have at least gotten my salad back with some dressing on it.

274JJJ, Owner at Gardner's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit. As a small family business, we strive every day to ensure that our guest have a memorable dining experience. We are known for excellent service, so we are quite shocked to hear this. We do have an owner or manager on sight each evening, so we wished that we were aware of your disappointment at that time so that it could have been remedied immediately. As for our head chef, he has been with us for 6 years. No change in kitchen staff has taken place in years. And the building itself, it is a historic building that we still rent. So we have done all that we could to make it pleasant and cozy inside.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

First of all, the place looks fine from the outside. Very clean and lots of parking. But yes, once inside, the atmosphere is great. Lots of spacing, soft but uplifting music, good lighting. Then the service starts, and from the first contact, you just know everyone loves working there, and all have received excellent training. Courteous, friendly, helpful, never overbearing. Our server was Mary, but my observation was that all servers were of the same caliber. Our cocktails were perfectly prepared. Stuffed mushroom appetizer was flavorful and plentiful, and not salty (nothing was). Both side salads were a cut above. I had the Cioppino and my wife had pink prawns with risotto, a special. Both were just excellent. I marveled that my tomato stock was so deep red and rich, and yet still tasted like fresh tomatoes. I have no idea how this is possible, and I've tried cooking it many ways. It is not tomato paste, which would be too sweet. We speculated that the stock must have been cooking for at least a couple days... Dessert was huckleberry bread pudding, with real Idaho or W. Montana berries. Just perfect. I would like to go back many times and have the entire menu. It's that good. As for cost, you get what you pay for. You can see the prices on-line. They are justified by all aspects of this restaurant, and so was our above-normal tip. So happy to have this restaurant in Olympia.

1  Thank Buell F

Thank you so much for your review! We work very hard to make each guest feel special and hope their meal is perfect. We are so happy to hear that your evening was memorable, and we certainly hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Gardner's is all about serving excellent food in an atmosphere that allows you to concentrate on enjoying the food and your companions. No TV screens. No cutesy drawings or remarks on the menu. Nothing to distract you. The interior is understated and sophisticated; the food is simply and expertly prepared. No heavy or exotic sauces to mask the flavor of the food. I highly recommend it for those looking for a place to eat and enjoy the company of their dining companions.

Thank you so much for your kind words. It pleases us greatly to hear that you enjoyed your evening so much, it is certainly what we work towards. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Out of the way location in Olympia down by the Waterfront and across from the Doubletree Olympia Hotel I stay @ frequently. Quiet atmosphere, attentive staff and good food were the order of the night. I was impressed with the quality and presentation; but will warn you that the meal can be a little pricey. Not outrageous but definitely something that got my attention. I've only been back a couple of times over the past 2 years but it's definitely worth the experience.