See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 May 2015 via mobile

Still our kids favourite vacation destination. The highlights - the sandy beaches, fishing off the dock, water sport rentals including paddle boards, kayaks, boats etc. No cars on the roads make it the perfect place for the little ones to ride their bikes everywhere. Swimming pool, restaurant, and local store make it easy to entertain kids.

Stayed: May 2015
2  Thank Rhonda H
Reviewed 17 December 2014

We have stayed in Veranda Beach cottages for three of the last four years. And are going back this summer for a week. Hands down this is the best Kids vacation we have experienced in BC. My kids are 8 - 12 and they all have a blast meeting new friends, swimming in the pool, ordering their own lunch in the cafe. We started going when the kids were 6 and 8. Because Veranda is on the lake front and a gated community, the kids can't easily wonder off and get lost. In fact its near impossible. The entire area is traffic controlled as you park in the back of the property once you off load your supplies to your cabin. So kids are free to run around and bike free of cars and danger. Parents can relax, kids can play and there is something to do for everyone. Not to even mention the beautiful beach that lines the property. I highly recommend it. It's expensive, but worth it.

Room Tip: Pick a cabin close to the pool and bordering the big lawned area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed 17 December 2014

We have stayed at Veranda beach the last few years and have thoroughly enjoyed EVERYTHING at the resort. Patti the GM and her very friendly team have always strived to do anything to make our vacation perfect , while smiling at all times. The cabins are terrific, large with all amenities and of course a veranda that is heaven to bbq on or just sit and enjoy the quiet sounds and lake. We have enjoyed eating in the diner several times for lunch and dinner during our stays and the food and service are very good. Our 11 and 13 year old have loved the pool and of course enjoyed swimming in the lake as well. We have been able to enjoy the sand volleyball court on site as well as numerous programmes for the kids that have been offered - outdoor movie nights or smores by the beach. It really is a fabulous place for a family vacation and we will be back in August 2015, THANK YOU!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elliot L
Reviewed 8 October 2014

I have taken some time to write my review as to hopefully remain somewhat objective. Not sure it has helped..

Nights booked: 4 @ $200+/night
Dates: 3rd week of September 2014 - Th to Mon
Ages of people attending: 77,44, 13, 10, 7 and 5
Purpose: Birthday vacation aka mission to find new summer vacation resort

We arrived, one car from Vancouver and one car from the Okanagan. I had sussed out things prior to our arrival on the website as I had no hand in the reservation - we were going on recommendations from friends and my brother had made the reservation for my mom, myself and 4 kids as he was in NY.
We arrived without an evening meal as I had read on the website on the Wednesday that the diner was open Th, Fr and Sat nights. Figured I could go Friday and grab some stuff from the grocery store for Friday dinner. Upon arrival, we were told that the diner was now closed for the season. When I questioned things, the woman behind the desk spent anywhere from 4 - 6 minutes going through each page of the website and asked me to verify where I had seen such information. What? She also explained to me that when my brother had made the reservation, it was explained to him that it was shoulder season. To anyone who does not work in a hotel, 'shoulder season' means nothing unless explained in full, if different than the website, and perhaps a lesser rate. I then asked what we could do for dinner and was told that we could go into town - about a 15 minute drive - to the Homestyle Diner (?). I said we could not do that as it would require 2 cars to transport us all, plus we would be having a couple of drinks as it was a birthday celebration. I was told a couple of drinks wouldn't hurt us. Again, what? DUI in the States?! No thank you.

I went into town and got some groceries. Made a couple of cocktails for poolside while we watched the kids. No ice. No ice trays. Up to the front desk I go, warm G&T's in hand, looking for ice. Was told that the only ice on property was at the marina and that someone would have to go down and get it. Done. We waited by the pool for ice to arrive. And waited. We could only stay at pool till 5 though because of course, pool hours are restricted during 'shoulder season',.again not on the website, nor disclosed at time of reservation. Ice arrived at 4:55.

The actual verandah was the only saving grace. Dinner was great. Sat out all evening. We were almost the only people on property, so kids could run on grass freely.

Next morning, set out for the pool about 1030. But no, although pool open between 9-5, 3 days a week the pool becomes community pool for school aged children of Oroville. Buses and buses of children arrived. Again, not disclosed at time of reservation, on website or now, at check-in. Completely infuriated. Our 9-5 pool time is now 12-5 pool time.

During dinner that night, my 13 year old starts to read 'check-out procedures' for tomorrow's departure as I had decided that kids were bored out of their mind now not being able to use pool until noon and nothing else to do on property, so we were going to do 2 nights in Osoyoos. Keep in mind, I had asked for a refund for 2 nights and was told 'no'. My daughter reads that we need to leave the cabin 'like we found it'. Yes, no housekeeping. We were required to mop, vacuum, wash toilets, shower, bathtub, etc.. What? $200+ a night and no housekeeping? The idea was that my mother would stay by herself with the 5 + 7 year old Sunday night and depart Monday am. How is a 77 year old supposed to do all that cleaning with a 5 + 7 year old?? Sigh.

Saturday 8:15am. I am enjoying a cup on coffee on the verandah and 2 men with wheel barrows and shovels arrive. Apparently I have the only fence on site that needs repairing. No knock on the door, no notice, just men in my yard. I tell them that I have children still in bed - they can come back at 12 as we will be gone.

I sent my mom and 3 younger kids to pool. My eldest and I start cleaning. Cleaning products are obviously supplied by owners of unit. Western window cleaner? Leaves streaks all over mirrors. I empty vacuum 3 times, pull out hair, fluff and dust from previous uses just to get it to work. Absolutely disgusting. Cheapest vacuum I have ever encountered. All of a sudden it dawns on me that cabin is only as clean as previous occupants. What? Hopefully there is housekeeping during the 'non' shoulder-season. Can't get stains out of kitchen floor, so start to handwash....grime is horrific on cloth so again wonder how clean things are. I give up and start packing the car.

We go to check-out and was informed that I still owed $5 for the ice. I present a US $20. I am told that the accountant isn't in and that the girl at the front desk cannot make change. What? Not even a $50 float on premises? I go to my car and retrieve $5 CDN. We are allowed to leave.

We drive to Holiday Inn in Osoyoos. Yes, the Holiday Inn. Walnut Beach, Spirit Ridge and Watermark are all 'sold out'...even on shoulder season..imagine that. Holiday Inn was good to us. Fluffy duvets and housekeeping. Fantastic.

I am at a loss of what to say. Horrible experience at Verandah Beach. No apologies made..although younger girl at desk did say that she put out some rackets during the evenings in lieu of pool, to keep kids happy. We could keep them through the night without charge.

Accommodations: Cabins are quaint and verandahs are exceptional. Twin beds in our unit were 'English' size and like the one's at my Gran's. You roll over and you fall out. Bedding is weak...we were freezing. No extra blankets and certainly, no duvets. Might be find for summer months, but need to re-think for Fall. Kitchen is great. Living room decent.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Liz O
Patty C, General Manager at Veranda Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2014

Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review with us from your most recent stay.

Your feedback is extremely valuable to us as it is through this input directly from our guests that we are able to continuously strive to deliver a positive and memorable experience for every guest. I am disheartened to see that not all of your expectations were met and that we have failed to communicate effectively and hence setting expectations we weren't able to meet.
I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss this further with you and would appreciate if you could please contact me directly at the resort.
Please be assured that we will share your feedback with all departments involved and are grateful for the opportunity to do so.
Best regards,

Patty Clarke
Veranda Beach Resort

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I've been hard on Veranda Beach in the past as I do have very high standards when I am paying for a service. Veranda Beach is incredibly beautiful, heavenly perfection for a family holiday. I'd like to add, to be fair, that there have been a few customer service glitches with them over the past few years. I am very happy to say that this year, when we booked for our return visit, that we encountered exceptional customer service. I think a sign of a good business is being able to listen and grow. Good work Veranda Beach.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family