“The best food”

El Toreador Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 275 Restaurants in Redmond
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

I have been coming her for over 10 years. Th food quality and quantity has not changed. Their chips are one of the best you can have. I don’t go to any other Mexican restaurant anymore as they can’t compete with this one. The owners work everyday so you are always greeted. Happy hour is awesome. Best of all their prices are in line for the he quality of food and consistency. Don’t miss going here if you’re in Redmond.

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank Jack R

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

I was working in Redmond recently and El Toreador rapidly became my go to place. Top notch food, great beer and the loveliest staff. Super recommend, I hope I get the chance to go back again!

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 13 June 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our Friday evening dinner experience. The place was energetic and friendly. We tried a house favorite appetizer, the quesadilla ranchera, and then went with chicken gorditas and an enchilada/chile relleno combo. Everything was tasty and well prepared. We sat in the bar, and our servers were attentive and helpful. We have tried all of the Mexican restaurants in the area, and we like this one the best.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 25 May 2017

Some of the most authentic Mexican food around. Homemade chips are the best I have ever eaten. All the food on the menu is outstanding, my favorite is the seafood enchiladas. Drinks are
well crafted.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 7 May 2017

We had a great afternoon in Redmond only to find ourselves looking for a restaurant at the height of the dinner hour. So we steered ourselves downtown and picked El Toreador because of the 4 star review. But when I saw the restaurant, I was skeptical. Of course, I've learned many times not to judge a place on looks alone, but I've also learned to trust my gut. And when I compared our 20 minute wait time to the hour long lines at the other places on the block, I knew my gut was right.

El Toreador was as bad as it looks. I do not understand how anyone could rate this place more than three stars? Or how, on average, this place was sitting on a four star rating when we visited? I can only assume that people don't know what good Mexican food should be? Or maybe they're grading on a curve, suggesting perhaps that Matador across the street is a five? But even in that universe, Toreador ain't no four people!

This is the perfect example of an average, uninspired, Mexican food factory that relies on salt and fat more than flavor, texture, ingredients, and creativity. There is nothing notable or special on the menu. The margaritas were mix, the chips were just crispy flour toritias, their salsa and picante sauce were way too generic, and the service was all over the map. Probably because they had an army of staff in there. Enough people to get some of the basics right, but so many that they were horribly uncoordinated, and not very helpful. It reminded me of the scene in the movie City Slickers when they asked, "Cookie, what's for dinner?" And got, "Food! It's brown, it's hot, and there's a lot of of it."

Bottom line, there are many more better Mexican places in the area. But if you're in Redmond, I'd pick Matador over this place, or some other cuisine entirely. How about a guacamole burger at Tipsey Cow? It's worth the hour wait.

Date of visit: April 2017