“Very entertaining”

Ranked #69 of 327 Restaurants in Renton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Went on a live music evening for an anniversary. Good music, great food. We people watched since the band had a following including former Seattle Sonic "Downtown" Fred Brown was in the house with his family and brother.

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

We dined at Shugas last Saturday night. Surround Sound performed and they surely had a great sound. What was even more amazing was the food. I was impressed. My salmon was absolutely delicious and the rice pilaf melted in my mouth. I would highly recommend shugas for dancing dining and music delight.

Reviewed 15 March 2016

Shuga is great for a number of reasons. The staff is friendly. The place is rarely crowded for supper (easy to get a reservation). The wine is decent. The bacon wrapped prawns are yummy yummy. And this is one of the only places in the area to get gluten-free fried chicken, served with flavorful collard greens and yams (used to be mashed potatoes but the menu changed). The food is exceptional. We enjoy coming here and do so every few weeks with our most recent time being this past Wednesday, when my husband came home from work and said, "I need fried chicken." :)

Reviewed 15 February 2016 via mobile

We heard the executive chef/owner competed on iron chef so we want to try this Renton restaurant. We arrived pretty early on a Thursday night. We were the only ones there, but again, it was only 5pm. We ordered the grilled mussels to start, perfectly cooked and had a delicious broth. I had the bowl of Shuga Gumbo and my husband had the Blackened Salmon that came on a bed of rice and grilled vegetables. His meal was delicious and quite large. The salmon was perfectly cooked, therefore delicate and moist and nicely blackened on the outside, plus the piece of salmon was quite large (portion size is always a risk when ordering salmon). His meal being $23 was a great deal. My Gumbo was ok, with shrimp, salmon, andouille, chicken with a cup of rice. At $18 for the bowl, I wouldn't order again. Our waitress was so incredibly sweet and nice, kudos to her. We came with a groupon and they gladly excepted it, but we would come back without it! The prices are a tad high for Renton, but I believe the ingredients and attention to the quality of food justifies higher price.

Reviewed 25 October 2015

I looked up their menu online as my husband has been craving some good fried chicken. Fried Chicken was on the menu. Off we went. When we got there at 6PM the restaurant was completely empty. That should have been a warning.
The waitress sits us down and hands us "bar menus", no fried chicken on it. She mumbles something about they aren't serving off the other menu because they are waiting for new ones. Okay, that doesn't make sense, and I point out to her the Full menu is posted on their website and we came for the fried chicken dinner.
They were kind enough to accommodate us and agreed to make the chicken dinners. This was the driest stringiest chicken I have ever tried to choke down. As far as it being a "Southern Food" restaurant, I disagree. No Black eyed peas, cornbread, or sweet tea. Needless to say we were very disappointed and will never be going back.

1  Thank Sheri G