All reviewswafflesroom was cleanhot tubfront desk staffcontinental breakfastindoor poolrestaurants and shoppingpleasant stayhard boiled eggsolive gardennice breakfastwaffle makerthe breakfast areaeasy accessthird floorking roomfreeway
Reviewed 7 May 2018

Pros: hotel location next to lots of restaurants and shopping, indoor pool
Cons: Staff dishonest, management unresponsive, dated facility

I stayed at the Shilo Inn Tacoma on US military official travel. I was excited to stay there because there is a Shilo near to where I live in Killeen, TX that I've heard nothing but great comments about. Unfortunately, this hotel did not live up to that reputation.
First impression the exterior of the hotel was clean and there was convenient parking, though I was a bit concerned about the homeless person that was on the corner and remained there through the duration of my visit.
I had trouble at check-in as the woman on duty did not honor the contracted rate booked through the military's official travel booking website (DTS). She said she would have to talk to a manager, but could get this fixed before I checked out. I asked a few times, but the correction was never made. The clerk asked for copies of my military ID card and driver's license and then made copies of them without asking permission. This is something we are told in training never to allow anyone to do.
My travel plans changed and I had to depart 2 days early (stayed 2 nights, originally booked 4 nights). I talked to the front desk receptionist the day prior to departure, who told that was no problem and I would receive credit for any payment already made. At this point, I realized that I was charged up-front for the entire length of the reservation; I was not charged at check out as is normal at other hotels. When I arrived to the hotel to check out, I informed the front desk person on duty that I was there to check out and that my original dates had changed so I was departing early. I explained that I had this discussion with the staff the day prior and was told it was ok. The woman on duty at check out (same who was there when I checked in) told me that no one had told her about my change and that she might have to charge me anyway. I asked to see the manager, who she said was not available. I turned in my room key and hotel parking pass and the receptionist gave me a copy of my checkout receipt that showed a credit due for the last two nights that I hadn't stayed at the hotel. Fast forward a week. I contacted the hotel and asked when I would receive the credit that was due per the receipt provided upon checkout. At this point, the hotel receptionist on the phone told me there was no record I had checked out--that her records showed I was there for 4 nights. I explained the situation once again. The receptionist said she could not help, but would speak to her manager. I emailed the hotel's main email address and followed up later with an email to the hotel general manager, each time explaining the entire situation and the people that I talked to on the staff. I have not received any responses to these emails or the requests to speak to the manger via phone or in person. I've had to file a dispute with the credit card company in attempt to get the funds back for the nights I did not stay at the hotel. This whole situation caused issues in filing my government travel voucher as the DTS system automatically populated the booked contract rates and I had to get special permission to reimburse a rate higher than what was on the reservation.
I provided my Shilo Inns Star Rewards number when I checked in, but did not receive points for any of the days stayed during the visit.
Hotel was clean, but dated, and lots of road noise. It would have been OK, if not for the billing issues.
Other Shilo Inns have a good reputation, but this hotel certainly left a bad impression for me.

Stayed March 19-21, 2018

Room Tip: Rooms on parking lot side closer to pool may be quieter. Rooms facing highway at the end of the building have road noise.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2018

We loved the pool, the customer service was nice, the room was comfortable and convince of the location right by the freeway was a bonus . Wanted to stay longer but were unable to. Beds were comfortable too.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Unless you like disorganized front desk staff, noisy, unclean and smelly rooms, and no food left an hour before breakfast ends, skip this place. Very disappointing. Only positive is good location and parking.

Room Tip: Requested room away from freeway but didn't happen
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Want2TrvlMore_11
Reviewed 25 March 2018

Stayed with my friend for one night. The hot tub, steam room and pool was great after our day full of hiking. The breakfast was great as well. There was just one little weird downside: The lady tried at the front desk desperately tried to give us another room with two separate queen beds instead of the single king we booked. She said the room with the king bed was right under the flag and the flapping of the flag was disturbingly loud. we still took that room and we couldn't hear the flag at all. I guess two guys sleeping in a single bed must have made her feel uncomfortable?

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2018

Stayed for 2 nights while attending an event at the Tacoma Convention Center. Found check-in to be quick and easy, and the front desk staff was very pleasant. My king room on the 3rd floor was very roomy, clean and comfortable. I liked having a good sized fridge and microwave. The bed was just right for me. The only downside was the road traffic noise, being near the I-5, but I sleep with ear plugs, so it was ok for me. The 2nd night there were a couple of boisterous kids in the room above me, but they did quieten down after a bit. Next time I would ask for a room on the 4th floor.
The pool, spa and exercise room is great. The free breakfast was just the standard cereal, yogurt, pasties, pancakes type of thing, but there many good eateries within walking distance, including Burger King, Elmers, IHOP, Shari's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and sushi, Thai and Pho places. There is even a Starbucks one block away. There is also a Winco Foods, if you want to pick up refreshments and snacks for the fridge.
I found it a very quick easy drive to the Convention centre each day.
I would definitely stop here again when I am in the area.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo