“My recent addiction”

El Porton de Pepe
Ranked #56 of 285 Restaurants in Yakima
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

All summer my husband's first choice for lunch or dinner was grilled fish tacos from here. My standard order is asada tacos and once in awhile camerones al la crema. No matter what you order from the menu you can take home half the platter for lunch the next day so now I ask for my order without rice. Their beans are deliciosa as is the pico de gillo. Outdoor seating is nice several months of the year. This place is always busy, the food always fresh.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We had high hopes from all of the great reviews but it was a major letdown. The restaurant was clean, decorated like a typical Mexican restaurant, and our server was friendly. That's where it ended. I ordered cheese nachos with chicken. I got chips, shredded chicken, and bagged shredded cheese. It was a congealed, greasy mess. Not at all what I was expecting from an authentic restaurant.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

This is our favorite place to get Mexican food in Yakima! The chips and salsa are just ridiculous. I have never had better chips and salsa in my life. Nine times out of ten, we get full on chips and salsa and get our food to go after about 3 bites. I'm telling you, the chips are thin and crispy, the salsa is just the perfect spot between medium and mild, with a little sweetness. Too good! We like ordering off their vegetarian menu. I love their rice and beans! A side of sour cream is an extremely generous portion, as all their portions are. Great spot. Our fave.

NOW, I have to mention that we visited for lunch today, and the menu was different. The front of the menu said "El Porton" without "de Pepe"... the vegetarian menu was missing, but the items just seemed to be kind of hidden elsewhere. Not sure if this place merged with "El Porton" or has always been associated with them and just updated the menus...chips and salsa were the same so I wasn't bothered. :)

Reviewed 26 March 2017

El Porton has a great reputation in this town. However some are better than others. The one on Tieton is the best in overall experience.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

This place just happened to be close to where we were shopping. We were not disappointed. The margaritas were on special and of course I had to take advantage. You can often judge a good Mexican restaurant on the quality of their margaritas (or maybe it is the alcohol talking, lol). We only ate there the one time and they have a very large menu of choices. Each of our dinners were very good and I would recommend the pork Enchiladas Suizas. My wife tried the Enchiladas de Mole which she enjoyed but I found to be too sweet.

Been to El Porton de Pepe? Share your experiences!