“Great place to stay in a very interesting area”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunmore
Chestnut Ridge Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Dunmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 June 2015

Paula and Larry are very accommodating. We were in the area for an event and they were so great to work around our schedule. Early morning coffee and a couple of dinners! 2nd visit, we will be back!!!

Room Tip: We have stayed in both of the main floor bedrooms. Both are lovely and feel private.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 March 2015

We decided to stay here as we made last minute plans to go skiing at nearby Showshoe. Must say that we found this place to be an excellent choice as compared to the over-pricey accommodations at the hill. Both Larry and Paula are excellent hosts and we loved their new addition "Bear" as part of the overall experience. We were travelling with our teenage daughter and the upstairs suite worked wonderfully. Overall, we will definitely be coming back and recommend Chestnut Ridge highly.

Room Tip: Call in advance to have help selecting a room
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2014

Larry and Paula Garretson welcomed me to their restored farm house in a Pastoral setting while attending and competing in the West Virginia Road Kill Cook Off. In spite of being busy all week with the preparations for the cook off. Larry welcomed me and allowed me to check in early. Even though this was my first time to stay here, within minutes I felt like old friends. They both went out of their way to make sure my stay was comfortable and relaxing.

Larry provided a delightful gourmet breakfast allowing me an early departure to travel to Marlington for the Cook Off. This was my first time to compete in this event which has been featured on Andrew Zimmern's TV Show, "Bizarre Foods" and the Food Network.

My first evening I arrived and met some of their returning guests that find this Pocahontas County getaway to be one of their favorite places to stay. I look forward to staying there again when I can spend more time enjoying the beautiful fall colors and nearby attractions.

Larry and Paula are great examples of the friendly West Virginia hospitality that I have come to expect when traveling in this area.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Pros:
-booking with very easy- spoke to Larry and he accommodated our request (a room with a view)
- Early check-in: we arrived at 2 and Larry welcomed us in immediately
- unlimited coffee and tea at all times
- nice view from the porch and friendly cats
-close to Senaca State Forest (10 minutes), Cass Railway (15 minutes) and snowshoe resort (30 minutes)
-Fast wifi
-quiet room

Cons:
-not able to lock your own room (at least we didn't figure out how to)
-not a whole lot of restaurants nearby
-small portion of breakfast
- breakfast room and common area are not very big

Room Tip: Choose one room from upstairs with private bathroom and a view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We just returned to Charles Town after staying Friday-Saturday, August 22nd. I was pleasantly suprised to find a highly rated B&B near Cass. Everywhere else seemed to be lower rated.

We arrived about 7pm from work and were immediately greeted by Paula and Larry, who promptly gave us the tour. The B&B is set in an 1890 farmhouse, so there are some things that you should expect: Smaller, but very clean rooms. If you want a larger room, get the one on the second floor. It also has it's own bathroom, which (I think, but am not sure) the other ones do not. The Inn has a wonderful common area with a chandelier and a fireplace. The house itself is quiet at night, but as is common with older houses, the floors creak. The dining area is small, but there is more than enough room for everyone, and it's good because it encourages interaction with other people. There is no tv, which, if you are going to a B&B in the mountains, you shouldn't be watching TV anyway. :) We actually ran into a nice couple from Harpers Ferry while we were there, and the time passed very quickly.

Some of the great things about Chestnut Ridge: It's set in a very peaceful town in a valley with a view of the mountains to the east. They have both a nice outdoor porch and a deck that take advantage of the views. They also have lawn chairs and a hammock that do the same. The owners are VERY friendly and helpful. When we went outside, it had been raining, but the owners noticed and took the pillows and set up the pillows right before we were going to sit. Larry even went indoors and loaned his binoculars to us so we could see the deer in the field. They have two greay and white outdoor cats, both of which are very active and friendly. Fishing HAS got to be wonderful in the stream that paralells Dunmore. I went walking down the street and must have seen 50 fish. Inside the house, The bed in the 2nd floor bedroom is VERY comfortable. The nights are very quiet and the rooms are dark. The shower is small but works great. They do, like most hotels, supply shampoo, soaps, and toothpaste. The breakfast was simple but VERY good. We had pancakes and sausage, but the pancakes were their own special recipe, the butter was homemade, the syrup was locally harvested, the blueberries were locally harvested, and the sausage was from a local farm and made locally. It was just enough without being too much.

I strongly recommend that if you like bed and breakfasts that are set in old farmhouses and are going to Cass or Snowshoe, you should forget about the other places (which sound like holes), and give this B&B a try. As long as you are looking for rustic and traditional B&B, and not a palatial place, I think you will love it. We certainly did!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Been to Chestnut Ridge Country Inn? Share your experiences!