See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 August 2015

1st impressions was not great. But always give things a chance.... As we pulled up to the house the yard was mowed, but grass was everywhere. It looked like hay laying in a field. Grounds were not kept very well. Walked into the front door and it was cramped, dark, dingy and stuffy. We were taken through the bottom level of the house. (very cramped, but nice floors) The house was clean. As we were going up the stairs,(which was beautiful) the wall paper was torn in several different places. There was no lock on the bedroom door. (weird) The room was so hot all night (no air whatsoever) We were told we could open the window, but them told all the things we could NOT do, while eyes were constantly on our grandchildren every time they moved. The head board on the bed was so LARGE and looked like it was falling on the bed. We were afraid to move all night for fear of it coming loose. We had a low tire the next morning and the owner was very gracious helping my husband to inflate it and making a phone call to the gas station up the road. The wonderful (NOT) breakfast consisted of 7-2in pancakes and 5 stripes of bacon (there were 5 of us) and it was cold. We had to ask for drinks for our kids. Our kids wanted to play with the games, but when my granddaughter left the room to go to the bathroom (she was coming back) she was told by one of the host to pick up a piece of a game. (that didn't set to well) We were told a number of times how lucky we were, most B & B doesn't expect kids under 12. The owners were told before we arrived we have 3 children and it was it was more than fine. Which leads to pricing. When I contacted Chestnut Ridge, we were quoted a price of $120. If the room would accommodate, us they were fine with it. Then we were told we would be charged an additional $20 for the extra child. WITH NO additional charges.(I have the emails We replied back and forth several times. So when we got there we were told everything was settled except the credit card charges, so my husband took care of it and shoved the receipt in his pocket. Later I looked at the CC statement and we were charged $173 for the room. This did not tally up , so I contacted them and asked to break down the charges We were charged a $120 Plus $20 Plus $15 dollar cleaning fee Plus tax. I replied we were not told about a cleaning fee. The response was check the web page which I did and it does state it. But I have the emails stating NO ADDITIONAL fees, except the $20 for the extra child and actually the original statement only stated $120. The last response was "Sorry about the confusing" So saying ALL that to say this, if the charges were upfront we would have NEVER booked this room and knowing what we know now we will NEVER book again. Beware of hidden fees. I will drive the distance for better accommodations. Maybe I'm just a little old fashion but when I tell someone something, you get it....No surprises here.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Ronda M
Chestnutridge2013, Owner at Chestnut Ridge Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2015

We're sorry for any guest that is not happy, but always ask that they tell us if there is a problem. Our pricing policy is clearly stated on our website and have not had any issues about it before. I dont believe this review is about the food or heat, as we could have made accommodations to help if they would ask, but they did not. We can only hope that this review reminds other guests to speak up when there is a problem.
Larry & Paula

Reviewed 14 July 2015

Larry and Paula made our stay perfect with restaurant suggestions and trail advice. Only three miles to the Trail and Larry even shuttles people if need be. We loved the quiet zone and gazing at the stars at night.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2015

Chestnut Ridge Country Inn is a wonderful B&B tucked away in the small community of Dunmore in West Virginia but very close to larger towns and many activities such as Cass & Durbin Railways, Bear Town, the Greenbrier River Trail, Snowshoe Resort, and Greenbank Observatory. Larry and Paula were excellent hosts. The breakfast is outstanding and very filling. Paula is a wonderful cook. Both Paula and Larry were very knowledgeable about the area and its history. The rooms were large, clean, and well equipped. We hope to return there next year and hopefully will be able to enjoy some of Paula's soup that I read about. This was a very enjoyable stay with good talk, good food, and an all together good time. Thank you!!!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2015

Chestnut Ridge was a wonderful place to come "home" to after a day of riding our motorcycle through the beautiful mountains of West Virginia. Larry and Paula are great hosts and made us feel right at home. Looking forward to returning in the near future

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2015

Paula and Larry are very accommodating. We were in the area for an event and they were so great to work around our schedule. Early morning coffee and a couple of dinners! 2nd visit, we will be back!!!

Room Tip: We have stayed in both of the main floor bedrooms. Both are lovely and feel private.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple