“Quiet country charm near Snowshoe”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunmore
Chestnut Ridge Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Dunmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2016

This inn is everything I love about B&Bs -- a cozy house with creaky floors, friendly hosts, and hot, delicious breakfasts! We stayed with Larry and Paula for 3 nights in mid-February 2016 for a long weekend at Snowshoe, which is about 30 minutes away by car.

We were well-taken care of right from the start: weather forced us to delay our departure, and Larry was quite gracious to greet us so warmly at the ungodly hour of our eventual arrival. We were also given discount coupons at one of the rental shops on the mountain, which came in handy as we needed to buy extra gear. When we returned from skiing, we found a gift box of chocolates in our room - woohoo! (It was Valentine's Day weekend) Larry and Paula were also able to recommend places to eat at Snowshoe and in the area; they seem to know everyone :) and their expertise is much appreciated.

Our room was large and comfortable. We stayed in the Griffin Ridge room, which is the upstairs room with the private bathroom. Highly recommended for a couple -- that bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The views were lovely.

The breakfasts were perfect. Reading past reviews, it seems that they used to do a family-style meal with everyone around one table, and that has definitely changed -- each set of guests now sits at their own table and is served their own meal as they arrive. There was more than enough food for the two of us, and it was local, home-cooked deliciousness. We had oatmeal, peach French toast, and scrambled eggs and biscuits -- all were wonderful. I for one appreciated the Greek yogurt each morning, too.

By the way, this house is old, and the floors do creak, but it is QUIET as all get-out (which I love). We stayed at the same time as a family of 3 and two other couples and I wouldn't have known there was a child under the age of 10 in the house if we hadn't seen that family at breakfast. Maybe that's because we were upstairs, but still -- for a house as old as it is, the serene silence you get upstairs is a treasure! On that note, there is no TV in your room, though there is a small one downstairs in the sitting room next to the kitchen; there is very reliable wireless Internet, but you have to ask for the password. I find this a huge plus, as I'm on vacation to ski and get away from the daily grind of constantly being connected.

By the way, I marked "not sure" on "Is this hotel good for families?" because we don't have kids and thus don't travel with them -- though the family of 3 that stayed with us seemed quite content. So, take that as you will.

There are house animals that are adorable -- many birds in the yard, two giant fuzzy cats, and a lab/Dachsund mix, Bear, who is just the sweetest thing. Paula and Larry are wonderful hosts who listen to their guests and are constantly striving to be better innkeepers, and it shows. Overall, I loved staying here and would definitely do so again.

Room Tip: Stay in the Griffin Ridge room if you can -- it's large and the views are marvelous.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 January 2016

Larry and Paula run the place. Very nice Bed and Breakfast. It's an old house that been fixed up and has 4 internal guest rooms and small house out back too. They make a hearty breakfast to start you off each day. They are about 6 miles from the Cass railroad so a good choice if your planning to ride the train and maybe explore the other things in the area.
We stayed 3 nights and had a great time. They have free Wi-Fi, but there is only a small TV in family room. There is no cell service in the area, but if you have the latest version of software for your phone most now allow phone service over Wi-Fi. This way you can get mail, make a call or text someone in the morning or evening. The rest of the time you should be out exploring the things in the area.
Highly recommend if you are staying in the area that you give them a call book a room.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2016

Warm friendly hosts, immaculate comfy rooms, and delicious home cooked breakfasts in a quiet WV country setting. Conveniently located near Cass, Green Bank, Snowshoe, Greenbrier Trail and more. What more could you ask for? Don't miss the great baked goods at the corner store nearby.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John O
Reviewed 28 August 2015 via mobile

The two of us biked south on the scenic Greenbrier River rail-to-trail conversion directly from this converted farm house, located a short distance from the Cass trailhead.

We left after a nice breakfast, and arranged with our host to transport our vehicle to a stopping point 60 miles down the trail. We were given a box lunch, the car was waiting for us, and we were fed upon our return. What's not to like?

Dunmore is a beautiful area in the Snoswhoe ski resort-area of West Virginia. Our ride took us through Marlinton with its terrific old hardware store, and our exit drive through Green Bank and an unexpectedly fantastic visit to the National Radio Astronomy Observatory.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank --mwwHomewood
Reviewed 3 August 2015

1st impressions was not great. But always give things a chance.... As we pulled up to the house the yard was mowed, but grass was everywhere. It looked like hay laying in a field. Grounds were not kept very well. Walked into the front door and it was cramped, dark, dingy and stuffy. We were taken through the bottom level of the house. (very cramped, but nice floors) The house was clean. As we were going up the stairs,(which was beautiful) the wall paper was torn in several different places. There was no lock on the bedroom door. (weird) The room was so hot all night (no air whatsoever) We were told we could open the window, but them told all the things we could NOT do, while eyes were constantly on our grandchildren every time they moved. The head board on the bed was so LARGE and looked like it was falling on the bed. We were afraid to move all night for fear of it coming loose. We had a low tire the next morning and the owner was very gracious helping my husband to inflate it and making a phone call to the gas station up the road. The wonderful (NOT) breakfast consisted of 7-2in pancakes and 5 stripes of bacon (there were 5 of us) and it was cold. We had to ask for drinks for our kids. Our kids wanted to play with the games, but when my granddaughter left the room to go to the bathroom (she was coming back) she was told by one of the host to pick up a piece of a game. (that didn't set to well) We were told a number of times how lucky we were, most B & B doesn't expect kids under 12. The owners were told before we arrived we have 3 children and it was it was more than fine. Which leads to pricing. When I contacted Chestnut Ridge, we were quoted a price of $120. If the room would accommodate, us they were fine with it. Then we were told we would be charged an additional $20 for the extra child. WITH NO additional charges.(I have the emails We replied back and forth several times. So when we got there we were told everything was settled except the credit card charges, so my husband took care of it and shoved the receipt in his pocket. Later I looked at the CC statement and we were charged $173 for the room. This did not tally up , so I contacted them and asked to break down the charges We were charged a $120 Plus $20 Plus $15 dollar cleaning fee Plus tax. I replied we were not told about a cleaning fee. The response was check the web page which I did and it does state it. But I have the emails stating NO ADDITIONAL fees, except the $20 for the extra child and actually the original statement only stated $120. The last response was "Sorry about the confusing" So saying ALL that to say this, if the charges were upfront we would have NEVER booked this room and knowing what we know now we will NEVER book again. Beware of hidden fees. I will drive the distance for better accommodations. Maybe I'm just a little old fashion but when I tell someone something, you get it....No surprises here.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Ronda M
Chestnutridge2013, Owner at Chestnut Ridge Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2015

We're sorry for any guest that is not happy, but always ask that they tell us if there is a problem. Our pricing policy is clearly stated on our website and have not had any issues about it before. I dont believe this review is about the food or heat, as we could have made accommodations to help if they would ask, but they did not. We can only hope that this review reminds other guests to speak up when there is a problem.
Larry & Paula

Been to Chestnut Ridge Country Inn? Share your experiences!