“Nice Hotel close to Attractions”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Elkins
Covington,VA
“Nice Hotel close to Attractions”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This is like most other Hiliday Inn Express hotels but the rooms are a bit larger and so is the Breakfast Buffet area. The hotel is within a short walking distance from the Train depot, the Music Theatre and Restaurants in town. It was a very pleasant experience after the winding roads of West Virginia to get there.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We sometimes travel with my mother who walks with a cane and suffers from a movement impairing condition. When we travel with her I always call the hotel directly to make reservations to see if they can accommodate our special needs for 2 rooms: a handicapped accessible room near an exit/entrance on the 1st floor or near the elevator on a higher floor WITH a King bed room next door or across the hall. I made such a call to arrange this reservation and spoke with Mike the night auditor. He was new to the reservation system and was very kind with me about making sure I got the handicapped room on the first floor near the breakfast room and the King room next door assigned to me and even gave me the room numbers. He said he would check with the day staff and make sure he had done everything correctly and would call me back in the morning if there was a problem. I received no phone call and did receive my emailed confirmation numbers as promised.

We arrived at the hotel fairly early (5:30pm-ish) all set for an easy check in and a close walk for my mother to get to her room. Jared greeted me and was most kind and welcoming but when we confirmed the room numbers he had me in the correct handicapped room, but the second room was at the opposite end of the floor. NOT a good situation and NOT what I had been promised. After explaining that I had called the hotel directly to make these reservations specifically AND that I had been told I would get a call back if there was a problem AND that I was now an extremely unhappy Priority Club member, Jared very graciously began to look over his floor plans to try to accommodate our needs. I was fully prepared to go elsewhere under the circumstances.

After a few attempts to reconcile any handicapped room with King bed room nearby, Jared offered to upgrade us to the handicapped King Suite on the second floor with a King suite across the hall for the same price as the rooms we had reserved, The catch was they were a further walk from the elevator than I would have preferred. A quick assessment of the priority of needs led me to accept his offer and I felt satisfied he had done his best to accommodate us under the circumstances although I still did not understand why the King room "was not available".

The rooms themselves (although a bit of a hike for my mother) were lovely. We were able to enjoy the sitting area of her room and have cocktails and some cheese and crackers before dinner and it was like being in a living room. She was happy with the placement of the lower coat rack and lower counters to accommodate someone in a wheelchair which also accommodate her bad shoulders. The grab bars in the bathroom are always a plus.

The next morning I wanted to let the day manager, Michael, know how much we appreciated the upgrade and that Jared had worked hard to make us happy. I explained what had happened at check in and that was when I learned the originally promised King room had been taken off-line for a maintenance issue. Frankly that would have been useful information the night before rather than allowing me to think the staff had just ignored my request and put someone else in the room. Michael apologized again and I said there was no need - Jared had handled it and I was only letting him know about the fact that we were happy with the outcome. Michael insisted that he make it "righter" and discounted our rooms even further, refusing to take my instance that it was not necessary for an answer. I was very impressed. I thanked him for working on Thanksgiving and he impressed me again when he said he had volunteered because most of the rest of the staff had families they "should be home with". What a wonderful, thoughtful man!

The complimentary breakfast was good - the food fresh and replaced appropriately. The coffee got low quickly as the breakfast room got slammed in the check-out rush and there was a short wait while new brewed, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The beds we comfortable, the pillows and towels plentiful, the water pressure good, and the cleanliness of rooms and public areas were well above par. Although we did not use the pool I noted the pool hours were much better than many -- open both early and late to accommodate over night travelers not just people who stay for a few days.

We did have a bot of a creepy feeling pulling into the parking lot in the dark before much of anyone else had checked in. I have since found out that the hotel is built in an area that used to be old rail yards which may account for a bit of the odd sensation. It was however convenient to the theater across the street and to one of the most engaging and lovely restaurants this traveler had had the opportunity to sample - we had dinner at El Gran Sabor (a Venezuelan! restaurant) and it was a REAL treat! Have what the owner recommends and enjoy the jazz in the bar after dinner. Check my separate review for more on that!

All in all this location turned out to be a wonderful stop-over for the night before Thanksgiving. Every staff person we had contact with was gracious and kind and did their best to accommodate our needs. We would stay here again if we are in the area. Good value for the price!

Room Tip: The second floor suites are really nice - roomy and comfortable. I would choose the back of the buil...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Etoile_of_NE_Ohio
ElkinsHIE, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that there was a situation to begin with but I am glad that the staff here worked hard to correct it. If there is a problem with a stay, I want every guest to feel comfortable to come see us so we can make it right instead of just dealing with it. No one should just have to deal with it. This is your “home” for the night.
It is wonderful to hear things went well but we do like to hear on areas where we can improve. We are always working hard to treat each person like an individual and make each person's stay the best. Thank you so much and come see us again in beautiful Elkins, West Virginia.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The best place to stay for a ride on Durbin & Greenbrier Railroad but book early, they fill up fast. The staff was exceptionally friendly. What we liked best was the location. It is in downtown Elkins and within walking distance to good places to eat and the railroad.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. Excellent advice is booking early. The summer and fall are our peak times. For rooms in September and October, you may have to book a month or so in advance. In addition to our convenient location to the American Mountain Theater and Train Station, our complimentary breakfast and pool and hot tub make it difficult to get a room during the busy time. Book early and we are glad you made it in.
Huntingtown, Maryland
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The hits were 1. Location 2. good parking lot 3. nice lobby 4. very good breakfast 5. room 6. bed was good 7. carpets looked new
The misses were 1. bathtub so small that when I tried to lay down in the tub my shoulders pushed into both sides of the tub 2. sofa was extremely narrow and difficult to sit on in fact the cushions we so poor quality that they went totally flat and we sat on the frame of the couch. 3. hot water was just hot enough I am five nine and my wife is five one so we should not have been able to sit on the frame of the couch and my shoulders should have not touched both sides of the tub.
We have stayed at all four of the chain hotels in the town and for equal money the Hampton is a better value. The Holiday Inn does have a central location which is in the old rail yard across the street from the train depot and the American Mountain Theater. Ranking the four hotels #1 Hampton #2 Holiday Inn Express #3 Super Eight #4 Days Inn.

Room Tip: The room on the back side of the hotel would be the best because you would not have to listen to the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I was on a 10 day trip exploring the back country roads of the Appalachian Mountains and stayed a night here. This Holiday Inn Express with want you expect with a Holiday Inn. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. The staff was exceptionally friendly.

What I liked best was the location. It is in downtown Elkins and within walking distance good places to eat, Davis and Elkins College and a beautiful neighborhood to explore.

If I'm in the area again I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ajayhawkfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkins
3.8 km away
1.8 km away
Iron Road Inn
Iron Road Inn
#5 of 8 in Elkins

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins? Share your experiences!