“Regular guest - it gets better & better”

Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I visit the Wheeling area regularly and stay here at least 3-5 times a year. Over the last couple of years, I have been more pleased with each visit at the improvements and hospitality.

Today, I requested a special meal at lunch (conference) and got a beautiful plate brought out to me right away. The new rooms (with the gas fireplaces) are absolutely lovely! I just had a manicure and pedicure from a sweet and friendly woman named Shawnna (I will request her!) and my conference is going wonderfully!

Ogelbay is particularly beautiful inside and out during the holidays - come and spend weekend! I know I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new section!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank grrlnamedgo
Oglebay, Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Thank you so much for continuing your tradition with us! We value our guests and their opinions a great deal and we are so pleased that you continue to see the improvements we are trying to make. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed 31 August 2011

My family of three spent four days here just for a long week-end getaway. The room although small was fine for us. The only bad thing I can say some of the rooms, like ours, have no refridgerators. Luckily we took a cooler to have cold drinks handy. Part of our stay was during the week when there are less people, so twice we had the indoor pool to ourselves. The outdoor pool is huge and was never crowded even on the 90 degree days, it was just lovely. We also enjoyed the par 3 golf, driving range, evening light show at the lake and the many walking paths and trails in the park. We never ate at any of the on site restaurants but saved money by driving a short drive to the Highlands and into Wheeling for our meals which was not inconvenient at all. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Last year I was a guest at oglebay and was impressed with my room, the stafff and the resort as a whole. This year.. not so much. My room smelled horrible from the start. When I complained I was given a bottle of freebreeze. The next day it was removed from my room by the maid staff. When I asked for it back I was told I would need to tip them. I dumped my own garbage. Dirty dishes were left in my room for several days. There were not enough staff in the dining room or the glassworks any of the times I went in. The staff seemed young and inexperienced. When attending a buffet reception I asked the staff if there was any shellfish in the food due to a severe allergy. I was told no. Only to bite into an egg roll full of shrimp. When I called her attention to it she just shrugged her shoulders. This kind of customer service can kill your business. I would rather spend a little more and receive quality then your management save by hiring inexperienced and lazy staff. I would never consider oglebay as a future vacation destination.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank annelheath
Oglebay, General Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

We were so disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay. Our staff is consistently trained to offer “Legendary Customer Service” and I am very sorry that we fell short. I assure you that we have very high housekeeping and customer service standards and we appreciate that you pointed out areas that need improvement. We sincerely hope you will reconsider and stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We had a great stay at Oglebay...we not only want to come back with our son to go to the zoo, but we want to bring the whole family!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 18 August 2011

My family of 3 and close friends of ours, a family of 6, all stayed together in one of their "traditional" cabins - Eidelweiss. (not wilson Lodge itself) Although the first impression was a bit disappointing - the cabin was very "cabiny" - meaning very simply laid out and not cozy looking at first - in the end, we had a very nice time and it ended up being very suitable for all of us to hang out and the kids to have a fun time. There was 4 bedrooms, two with two twin beds, and two with one (quite small) double bed - they were comfortable to sleep in. The kitchen was well stocked with what would be needed - it DID have a Bunn coffee maker - hooray! The living area had three padded bench seats along the walls and a large heavy wood - nice - picnic table with benches in the middle. A TV and 2 arm chairs on the one end, and the fireplace on the other end. We rearranged the furniture while we were there to make it more suitable for sitting around and talking - of course putting in back before we left - and that helped a lot. It was clean and the two bathrooms were suitable and had great water pressure.
The property it gorgeous!! Beautifully wooded, deer that just "hang out" everywhere! We took the kids(ages 1 - 13) to the Good Zoo on the property - and they seemed to enjoy it. It was a beautiful walk and had about 10 areas with animals. We swam in their HUGE outdoor pool, which was a little cold, but it was hot out and so the kids didn't mind at all. There was golfing, playgrounds, a glass museum, an indoor pool at the lodge - all things we didn't do.
I think if you are looking for a simple and relaxing getaway, this place is wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jifw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
4.1 km away
7.6 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Wheeling Triadelphia at the Highlands
7.3 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia/wheeling

Been to Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!