“Our New Home Away from Home in Cable”
Review of Cable Nature Lodge

Cable Nature Lodge
Reviewed 28 December 2014

My husband and I just returned from a delightful visit to the North Woods. We had previously owned property in Cable and were sure we would not find a place as special to stay. Were we wrong...the Cable Nature Lodge was clean, comfortable and had incredible views of nature out your window. It was quiet and supported our love of silent sports! You can snow shoe right out the door or drive a couple miles to some of the best cross country skiing and snow shoeing in the Midwest! There was a refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave...and the double whirlpool tub was amazing after a day in the snow. Bill, our host was helpful but gave us our privacy. We enjoyed meeting the other guests and it was wonderful to be able to just go downstairs to the Rookery Restaurant for a fabulous dinner!

This was a great place to spend our anniversary! We will be back!

Room Tip: Check the website. There are great photos of all the rooms on line. Check for specials off season.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DTK_8

Reviewed 11 October 2014 via mobile

Beautiful rooms! The restaurant downstairs is quite expensive! Nice dog hanging around. Not a bad price for the rooms. They recommended the Delta Diner which is an awesome place for breakfast! I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2014

Looking forward to a romantic getaway biking and dining we chose the Cable Nature Lodge based on these reviews.
We arrived twenty minutes earlier than the 4p.m. check in and were treated EXTREMELY RUDELY. Rather than asking us to return at 4 the "Greeter" proceeded to tell us that "MOST GUESTS" arrive after the check in time and inferred that we interrupted her sleep!
The "Aurora Borealis" room advertised a great northern view at night...all we viewed were trees and an outdoor stage of some type!
As for the Rookery Pub I cannot comment as we were so disappointed by our initial experience that we dined elsewhere.
We e mailed "Bill" who appears to be owner operator of this establishment about our experience and concerns and have never gotten a response.
We will NOT recommend "Cable Nature Lodge" to ANYONE!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robert H
Bill B, Owner at Cable Nature Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2014

And now, in the words of the legendary Paul Harvey, for "the rest of the story."

It is true I chose not to respond to the complaint I received from these particular guests. I've learned in such situations that sometimes it's best to simply bite my tongue. But since they've decided to air their grievance in this public forum it's only fair that readers hear the other side.

These people did indeed show up prior to our scheduled check-in time...closer to a half hour early actually...despite statements on our website, in their confirmation email, and posted at our front entrance courteously asking guests to respect our check-in time given that as a small hospitality business we do not have staff available 24 hours a day.

And contrary to the inference they were prepared to wait patiently until our check-in staff arrived at 4 PM, they instead intercepted one of the international students who works in our kitchen when they spotted her entering the building through a rear entrance. This girl's English skills are not real strong and after failing to communicate their desire to check-in early these guests demanded she go find someone "who can speak English." She told me they were very rude, but she complied.

The person she went to fetch was another international student who had worked all day cleaning rooms and such, and also was scheduled to work in the restaurant that evening. I don't doubt she may have been a little cranky after being abruptly awakened from a well-deserved cat nap between shifts. And perhaps she could have handled the situation a bit more diplomatically. In any case, she agreed to escort these guests to their room, despite their early arrival.

What happened several hours later is inexcusable in any context. This couple came downstairs to the bar, apparently searching for me to complain to (it was my day off) and encountered this same young staff member instead, who politely greeted them in an earnest effort to make up for any earlier lack of hospitality. The woman immediately launched into a thunderous tirade so violent that my staff member was afraid the woman might actually strike her. Among the insults she hurled was a remark about it being time for this student to return to her home country given that the summer season was about over. This incident not only was witnessed by one of my servers, but also easily overheard by several patrons in the restaurant.

You be the judge. Personally, I am not about to offer any sort of apology or redress to anyone who would treat people with such disrespect and contempt. My staff, and indeed my self-respect, will always be more important to me than the occasional haughty guest.

Reviewed 25 September 2014

I booked 2 days at the lodge through Travel Zoo, and am very happy with the stay! I stayed in the Namakagon room, which I loved. It was very rustic, comfortable, and had the amenities of a Keurig coffee maker, small fridge, and microwave. I ate at the Rookery Pub restaurant, and delicious meals! It was a perfect location for my fall colour explorations around the area. Well done!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Triciaukus
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We just returned from a two night stay at this wonderful little resort and couldn't have enjoyed it more. We had a queen room which worked out great. Very clean and comfortable with a microwave, fridge and kitchen utensils. T.V. was a little small 18" but we weren't up there to watch T.V. The restaurant, the Rookery was as most reviews claimed outstanding. The wild rice with chicken soup is a must. Tons of hiking and biking trails right outside the door. We enjoyed some excellent road biking but the area is famous for mountain biking too.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cable
33.0 km away
35.3 km away
Northern Pine Inn
Northern Pine Inn
#15 of 15 in Hayward

Been to Cable Nature Lodge? Share your experiences!