All reviews steam shower lakeside cottage organic garden small lake breakfast delivered fireplace room prairie style catch and release view of the lake relaxing getaway peace and quiet private deck adirondack chairs twin cities northern wisconsin anniversary weekend fixed menu
Reviewed 26 March 2018

My husband and I went to Canoe Bay for our anniversary last June. This Inn is deep in the woods and provided plenty of opportunity to view wildlife. (We had to stop the car so I could move a turtle out of the road on the way in.) We had the Escape cabin and within was everything we needed. We had dinner at Canoe Bay and it was fantastic. Ladies - bring your evening dress and heels! Men, break out the suit and tie. At the suggestion of other reviewers, we did bring a picnic basket with food and wine for later in the evening. We were so full from the dinner we didn't need any extra food. I would definitely like to visit Canoe Bay again. And stay an extra day! The only complaint I would make is that the fruit provided for breakfast did not look nearly as good as the photos on the website. For the price they should serve a better and more plentiful breakfast, including perfect fruit. Yes, even for the Escape occupants - then I could rate them excellent.

Stayed: June 2017
1  Thank Crazymite
Reviewed 5 March 2018

What a place to get away from everything. Just relax and don't lift a finger they will bring it all right to your cabin.
Chef outstanding! The food is wonderful unusual combinations that your taste buds savor.My only wish is you could have better fireplace control or a real fireplace.

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank bhfoodie2017
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for a place to disconnect and reconnect, this is the spot! We enjoyed the great accommodations (Lakeside Cottage with spa, steam shower, elliptical, and tubby overlooking the lake), and all food delivered to our cottage. You have the option to dine in the evening at The Inn or to have 3 course dinner delivered to your cottage. We opted for the latter. Dinners creative and lovely.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2017

Really enjoyed our recent stay at Canoe Bay. Staff were nice, grounds were clean and our cabin was nice. That being said... it's quite expensive. Worth it? I'm not sure. The dinner should be included with the cabin rates since there are no options and at least some cabins should have very good wi-fi (our cabin had wi-fi, but it was extremely slow). Again, enjoyed our stay but I'm not certain that it lived up to the level that several other reviews noted.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 13 November 2017

We really enjoyed our stay at Canoe Bay-I am having a difficult time rating it because some things are so wonderful and some need work.

First the wonderful: If you are looking to truly get away this is a great place-there was not Wi-Fi in the cabin and we had no cell service (it made it a bit difficult to stay in touch with our babysitter and kids at home, but overall proved to be very relaxing). The dinner and accompanying wine list were fantastic. We loved that there was no bar and no larger or loud groups. The recommended message provider was also fantastic.

Needs Improvement: The service is not on par with the price...for example, our fireplace wasn't working at check-in. So after we walked back to the desk (no phone or cell reception) they said they would have somebody come look at it during dinner. They did come look at it and got it working, but they told us it may not turn off and that if it didn't we would need to take the fire place apart to turn it off. Prior to our arrive I also contacted them about food preference (because the dinning room is a set menu) and when we arrived they were not written down. They still accommodated us, but it was odd that they asked for the information in advance and then didn't even write it down. Also, the schedule does lack flexibility...for example, lunch is only served at one time and happened to be at the same time as our messages were booked so we had to track somebody down to see if we could get lunch earlier-they said we could but then it wasn't even delivered at that time (we had to track somebody down to figure out if we could still get it early). This isn't a big deal, but it would be nice if it was provided at the time of booking so people know what to expect if making other plans.

Lastly, our cabin did NOT look at all like the picture! We booked a dream cottage...and the cottage in the picture appears to be designed in a Frank Llyod Wright Style and ours looked like an old rustic cabin from the outside and the inside need some help...it had tons and tons of windows which had cheap blinds that were broken and a sink that sprayed water all over every time it was turned on. It also didn't have a raised deck (or privacy panels like the decks on all the other cabins) or any of the listed optional features for the dream cabins (heated bathroom floors, car port or steam shower). I am pretty sure we were in cabin #9 and that #7, 8 and 9 were all this older style (although #7 and 8 did feature a raised deck and car port).

Anyway, this didn't detract from our enjoyment but is probably the difference between us coming back in the near future and not coming back for a few years. Our total bill for our 2 night stay in a Dream Cottage, 2 dinners, one lunch and lots of wine was about $1,800 (this did not include our messages). For this price there are other high end getaways available that I would try.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelingPeanut
Lisa D, Owner at Canoe Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

We’re delighted to hear that your stay was relaxing, peaceful, comfortable, and delicious. We especially appreciate your term “fantastic” in regards to Chef’s cuisine—a perfect description!
If I may address the few service issues that concerned you:
Due to the set menu, we confirm about diet restrictions—or the lack thereof—with each guest during check-in. I’m afraid your arrival was one of quite a number in direct succession that Friday afternoon, and our Receptionist likely just misspoke in confirming “no diet restrictions?” when in fact you had reported one when you booked online. I do apologize for any moment of confusion this created for you.
Thank you for the feedback re: lunch and the in-room massage. This is very helpful! I will be asking our affiliated massage therapist to make guests aware of our lunch delivery window (12:30—1:00p) when massage appointment times are selected from now on.
There are six Dream Cottages at Canoe Bay, with four different floorplans and as many exteriors. Cottage #9 has many interior design features that honor Frank Lloyd Wright’s Prairie-style architecture.
Please know, too, that on-site reservationists are available daily 9a—5p CT. They truly enjoy assisting guests by phone or email in selecting the ideal cottage for their special getaway.