“Clean and reasonable”
Review of Lull-Abi Inn

Lull-Abi Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Egg Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2017

This was my first stay at this hotel and I will be back. When I made my original 2 day reservation, the response was sent via email right away. Later, I updated my reservation to add 2 more days so I called to see if the room was available. It was and my confirmation email was there when I hung up the phone. My sister had a special request due to a medical issue so she called them to make her reservation. Her special request was granted, no problem. They were very understanding. Well we did not want to come home (who does, right?) so on the last day we asked if we could stay for another night. Lacey, the manager, accommodated us just fine with the request.

The one thing I check out when I stay anywhere is the cleanliness of the room. I don't mind if a place is older, but I want clean. My room was absolutely top notch in cleanliness as well as my sisters. (Kudos to the cleaning staff!!) I was totally amazed at how clean they were. Also, they do not use those stinky, masking sprays during or after they clean, which was a total relief to my allergy nose and my asthmatic lungs. The room is very neutral, no smell, but again....VERY clean.

Also, it is the little things in life that can make you smile, such as having a soap dish on the bathroom sink and also in the shower, having a power strip in the room on the nightstand, having a towel rack in the bathroom in addition to the usual hook, a corkscrew supplied, super soft towels, a shower caddy, and tissues within reach almost everywhere (I had 2 boxes in my room and 1 in the bathroom). As a person with allergies, this can be very helpful The bed was very comfy and I had a king bed and it had 6 standard size pillows on it. I had a variation of pillows to choose from, soft, firm and in between. I had no problems finding a pillow to fit my sleeping needs.

The internet was fine once I hooked up to the correct one. The cell signal...well you are in Door County after all, so it can be hit or miss. I was able to use my cell phone when I needed to, but the signal varied from place to place on the property. This was not a big thing to me as I usually try to disconnect when I am in DC. I mostly used the internet and phone to communicate with my husband. Oh, and pinterest for crochet patterns.

The thing with being near woods is spider webs on the outdoor railings. It is a natural thing, but not something I really want to see. I have been staying in DC for over 30 years and I find this quite a bit. Here, it is rare that you see one and if you do, it is gone within a day or two.

Upon my arrival, I was hauling my small cooler up the stairs to my room. I have knee issues so I was taking one step at a time and struggling a bit with the cooler. Their was a cleaning person at the top of the stairs and he asked if he could help me in any way. That gesture was so kind and really was above and beyond his duties. I did not take him up on the offer, but again, it was a very kind offer.

As I stayed on the 2nd floor, I had the regular door that faces the back of the property, and a patio door that faces the front of the property. The back door has a screen door so I was able to have the doors open and the breeze flowed through my room very nicely.

Each day you get a 'goody bag' at your door. This includes towels, soap, shampoo, facial wipes, coffee, and cups. (I think I remembered everything) I love this idea, but actually I only dipped into 1 of my bags for towels and shampoo.

The owner, Gayle is a wonderful person. I got to sit and talk to her for quite awhile by myself one day and she is a great person and is very friendly. My sister and I also had time to chat with her on a couple of occasions, she is down to earth, a good business person and just down right friendly. Gayle is genuinely concerned about her guests and their stay.

The property was purchased in Oct 2016, so yes, they are under new management. However, they are very open and accommodating.

Room Tip: Select a 2nd floor room, you get 2 outdoor sitting areas, a patio door and a regular door with a scr...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 July 2017

This was our first trip to Door County. We stayed in room 31, one of the double queen rooms. The room was very clean and was perfect for our needs. I really liked how the shower and toilet were separated from the sink area so we could get ready efficiently.
The fridge was the larger size dorm fridge so it had plenty of room.
My favorite part was the towel service option that they offer. You can opt to just have new towels brought to the room and left in a plastic bag outside the door. This eliminated the need to be concerned about the timing of housekeeping coming into our room. The bag included extra coffee, a new garbage bag and shampoo with the new towels. They only included 2 bath towels the first time so I just left a note asking for 4 the next day and my request was granted.
Another plus was that the beds were really comfortable, with great sheets and comforters along with plenty of pillows. It was really convenient to walk to the restaurant next door for breakfast too. We will definitely book them again when we go back to Door County.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank cmtracy
Reviewed 4 July 2017

We weren't expecting much. We knew from the photos and previous reviews that this was a "value" hotel and we weren't planning on being in the room much. We were thankful to find a place in Door County that didn't require a 3-night stay during the summer. On the plus side, our room (at the back of our jr. suite) was quiet and the king bed was comfortable. On the downside, our room had a horrible smell, musty masked by 3 air freshener dispensers. The toilet also smelled like sulphur and the handle had to be jiggled for the toilet to stop running. The mattress on the fold-out couch was so bad that our son couldn't sleep on it. Also, they desperately need to update their website which touts a hot tub (empty, full of children's toys?), real glasses, a cutting board and other extra amenities, which they did not have.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2017

We have always stayed at the Lull-abi when our business brings us to Egg Harbor. It was a nice little hotel with good value. It was always clean and the previous owner little touches like microwave popcorn, real glasses, extra pillows, a cutting board and knife, and just over the top great customer service.

But sadly, there was none of that on our recent (and last) stay at the hotel under the new management.

It started with them not giving us the accommodations we reserved. We reserved a total of 5 rooms for our party over the weekend. One of them was the onsite 2 bedroom apartment and we had 4 adults planning to stay there. During our drive up to Egg Harbor on Friday afternoon, management called and said that the building had been hit by lightning the week before and the apartment didn't have cable or air conditioning. We said that's ok, we didn't mind. But the manager said that she couldn't let us have the apartment because not having AC was a liability. She only had one room left and offered it to us at a smaller cost. We weren't thrilled but we took it.

It was the tiniest hotel room with the tiniest shower I have ever seen. We had two double beds that were about 2 feet away from each other. It was going to be very tight for 4 adults but we decided to make the best of it.

That was only the beginning. Here's a list of issues during our stay.

- We had 4 adults in the room and only 2 towels. We had to request more.
- The wifi (advertised as free on the hotel sign) didn't work once the entire weekend.
- Our TV cable didn't work.
- One of the beds had bloodstained sheets.
- We killed two bugs in the bathroom.
- The shower had two temperatures - scalding hot and ice cold. And it switched back and forth at random.
- They didn't service our room on Saturday - even though we requested it. We borrowed a vacuum from a passing housekeeper and did it ourselves. He didn't offer to help us when we asked for the vacuum.
- There was no scoop in the ice bin that was shared by the entire hotel. Not very sanitary.

And the very final straw was that another two people in our party didn't get a room at all even though they reserved it back in April. Again, they were called on their way up to Egg Harbor. The manager said they overbooked but they made them another reservation but not in Egg Harbor - in Fish Creek, about 15 minutes up the road. This was terribly inconvenient for our party. The Lull-abi manager also incorrectly told them that there was a fireplace in their room and that the Door County trolley stopped at their hotel.

After all of that, one person in our party called the manager at the Lull-abi to voice our displeasure. They listed all the problems that I've listed here. During that phone call, we were told by the manager that "they didn't need our business" and "didn't care" if we never stayed there again. Nice!

We were lied to repeatedly. We have friends who are locals and they told us that the hotel down the street has neither cable or AC and they somehow operate just fine. There's no liability. And worse? The real reason we couldn't get the apartment is we were told that Lull-Abl management was living there since April!

Lull-Abi management denied that anyone was living there and we didn't peek into the windows. But this on top of all the other issues was just too much.

Maybe this is just a new management trying to work out the kinks but we don't like being lied to or talked to in such a manner. They said they didn't need our business. That's fine. They have lost ours indefinitely.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank shel8025
Reviewed 16 June 2017

Great value, rooms are nice super clean and comfortable. The new owners are very nice. We spent 5 nights here in the sunrise suite, had a separate bedroom with a king size bed, living room with a large couch, table chairs a lazy boy, big screen tv in each room, wet bar, nice size bathroom. Very comfortable and very reasonable, especially for Door County. We were facing the back yard so it was very quiet, but having stayed in other rooms here it is also quiet facing the highway. A nice place to spend your time in Door County.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have balconies but you have to climb stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
24.2 km away
Best Western Maritime Inn
Best Western Maritime Inn
#8 of 18 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to Lull-Abi Inn? Share your experiences!