“Where is Everyone?”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Menomonie
Reviewed 26 July 2017

I reserved a few weeks ahead, but my usual place in Menomonie was booked for a summer weekend night, so I chose the Quality Inn instead and reserved at a reasonable rate. The hotel is located in a mixed retail/industrial development to the east of the city, right off the freeway and easy to find. Looks fine from the outside and sufficient parking.

When I walked in there were various members of an extended family meeting up in the lobby but nobody checking in. Good for me, except that there was nobody behind the desk, just a phone with a sign to call if you need anything. I dutifully obeyed the sign and an employee dutifully showed up to check me in. She was pleasant and efficient, but the experience was still a bit off-putting. I can understand being temporarily called away to help a guest, or in the early afternoon before check in time, but this was during the evening when guests are expected to arrive and the sign and phone appeared to be permanent fixtures at the desk.

The room was adequately sized and the furnishings in good order. One long hair in the bathtub was the only deficiency in housekeeping that I noticed, and the hairdryer was missing. The little bit of hair I have takes 2 minutes to dry, so no problem there. The bathroom sink was freestanding with no counter to set things down on, but I was in a handicap-accessible room so it may not be the standard bathroom setup. There was adequate lighting and plenty of outlets to plug in chargers.

Shower pressure was excellent, the curtain rod was straight (instead of curved and sagging), and towels were good. I didn't make it to the pool area, but it looked nice from a distance.

The mattress was not a pillow top, but had virtually no support at all. It wasn't worn out with springs poking through, but was like sinking into a vat of marshmallow fluff minus the stickiness. I generally don't like pillow-top mattresses because of this feeling, but at least those are only the top few inches. This one went all the way down. Being entombed in marshmallow is not as pleasant as it may seem at first and I didn't sleep very well. There was also some hallway noise coming through, but it was not excessive.

Breakfast opens at 7am on weekends, and featured a good variety of options. I was warned away from the eggs by another guest and therefore had to try them. Hands down these were the worst eggs I have ever tasted. Salt wouldn't have overcome the texture but may have improved the flavor. Too bad there was no salt or pepper to be found, and not a hotel employee in sight. I settled for yogurt and toast, then headed up front to check out.

I shouldn't have been surprised at this point, but I'm a slow learner. The sign on the desk from the night before was replaced with a new one saying (I'm paraphrasing here) "we don't check people out," and a basket for keys replaced the phone. Good thing I didn't need a receipt for work. My credit card was charged only $0.85 more than the confirmation email said.

I'm not a really social person, but the lack of human interaction here was jarring. I could overlook that, and the eggs, but the mattress issue would probably stop me from coming back.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

We were tired when we got to the hotel. There was a strange unpleasant smell out in the hallways. Room was out dated. Towels were very thin and worn out. Beds were too soft for us.
We were going to some friends for supper. I was to bring a loaf of French bread. I asked the person behind the desk for the closest bakery. She didn't know. I said I just need a loaf of bread, she said to go to a restaurant. I asked where and she pointed in a direction,with no recommendations.
Finally I thought Walmart might have some bread. She wasn't very clear on how to get to Walmart. Her English was not very clear. Finally looked it up on iPad. Women on the parking lot was more helpful.
When we were ready to go in the am, there was no one at the desk just a box for the keys. We needed a receipt. So I had to go searching for some one to help. When I found him he had already printed one for us.
Breakfast area was clean with good chocolate Che's to eat.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2017

I called in on my cell phone at 10PM and the desk receptionist saved the last room for me based on my promise (no credit card number) to arrive in 20 minutes. She denied three potential customers (including the guy in front of me at check in) until I arrived 30 minutes later. She could have easily sold it to others but kept her commitment to us. While I travel frequently and stay at fine hotels, I was pleasantly surprised at the quietness and cleanliness of our room. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2017

Didn't look like any money had been stuck into property for a long time. Many areas beat up, needed paint. One of sheets were torn. Towels were poor quality. Appeared clean but beat up .Young people at front desk at checking were nice.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank jim0423
Reviewed 1 May 2017

Stayed here one night for a conference. We arrived late (9 pm) and the pool was supposed to close at 9:30 but the hotel clerk allowed us to be in the pool until 10:30. The hot tub was cold but when a complaint was made they were able to fix it and got decently warm.

The rooms and other areas of the hotel are very dated and old and smelled of stale cigarette smoke. The doors don't close easily, you have to make sure to pull it tightly behind you or it won't fully close shut. The beds were comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. There is a nice big refrigerator in the rooms. The water pressure in the shower was amazing.

The breakfast had a decent selection of items, omelettes, sausage, waffles, cereal, muffins, english muffins, bagels, etc.

All in all, this was a decent stay.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menomonie
6.3 km away
Motel 6 Menomonie
Motel 6 Menomonie
#3 of 8 in Menomonie
Hampton Inn & Suites Menomonie-UW Stout

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!