Review Highlights
Nice little campground or day excursion

Nice campsites settled into deep woods. I wouldn't mind if they had been just a bit further apart... read more

Reviewed 29 June 2021
JymmH
Champaign, Illinois
Finally camping in 2020!

Reviewed 18 June 2020
Eldereaglewatcher
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

All reviews state park nice beach wisconsin river great walking trails flush toilets great place campground dam woods camping council kayaking alexander signs shade nature winter
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 June 2020

We camped at Council Grounds for 3 nights this week. It's a small park with well-marked hiking trails, none of which is very difficult. The gem of the park is the Wisconsin River. The campground is along the river below the Alexander dam, and there's a nice beach on Alexander Lake above the dam. There is also boating, kayaking and canoeing on the lake. The park had just opened due to COVID 19, and the bathrooms were cleaned twice a day with signs limiting the number of people allowed in each at one time. That was not a problem, as only those without bathrooms in their RV's were generally using the bathrooms. There are flush toilets, hot water and showers. The camp sites are big and quite spread out with lots of shade. It's a great place to camp or for day use. Take mosquito spray.

Date of experience: June 2020
Reviewed 23 March 2020 via mobile

No matter what season it is, Council Grounds is a great place to catch up on nature. Last week as I walked the dog through the state park, the geese were coming back and honking as loud as they could.
When the snow thaws there are great walking trails that people also use in the winter to snow shoe or cross country ski.
I haven’t camped here yet but would like to.
You will not be disappointed.

Date of experience: March 2020
Reviewed 5 March 2020

We go to parks mostly to hike. This park has several trails - some are good, winding through what will soon become old growth forest (Big Pines Nature trail), and others are so-so. The park also includes Krueger Pines State Natural Area.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed 16 September 2019

I have lived in the area since 1980 and have never camped there, though I can see that many people do. I have walked it at least 100 times and ridden a bike through a few dozen times. It is a lovely park. Even children can walk, as the road and trails are mostly flat. I have been there alone, as half of a couple and with kids. There is a nice beach and also a boat launch. There are nice picnic areas, and I have done that many times. There are grills, though I usually bring my own. The park is clean and safe.

Date of experience: August 2019
2  Thank Patrick M
Reviewed 18 April 2019

We stayed here during the first week of October. The park was thick with trees and we had our pick of sites. Sites are not all level, but fairly big with brush in-between. There is electric and a few water spigots in the family campground. Hiking trails take you down to the water. It was a peaceful and scenic stay. We would go back again if traveling through. We travel in a motorhome with a tow vehicle.

Date of experience: October 2018