“fun, modern, and customer service at its best”

Aloft Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #33 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here on a Sunday night during Pride Fest. We were greeted warmly by valet (and I believe the price is doable, go to Chicago and you will pay that anywhere/everywhere). When we walked into the hotel we were welcomed again by the front desk staff that helped us quickly and we were off to our rooms. Rooms are very clean and organized and we loved the setup of the room facing the windows like it was. The rooms are more directed towards couples rather then family I will agree, but we knew that from the reviews (we kinda decided we liked the idea of more couple friendly).
We decided to go to the XYZ bar before going out around the town before we saw a comedian. We stayed there for quite some time due to the amazing bartender Becky! She was super friendly and was quite the drink maker. Everything was decently priced and delicious.
After our night out we had no issues with noises but we were there on a Sunday night, not a weekend.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the river. Ask ahead.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Carrie Q,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us during PrideFest, but more importantly for choosing to stay with us. You obviously did your homework in checking our reviews prior to selecting us and we appreciate having you! Hope you enjoyed the festival and the comedian that you saw. We will also make sure that Becky sees the kind words you had for her. Hope to have you back again in the future!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel. Location? Almost perfect. Vibe? Hip. It stops there. Walking in to a modern lobby, with bright colors, plenty of space, a food service area, and a bar... we were greeted in a very friendly and professional manner. We were told we were given a high floor, quiet room. Great! Took the elevator up and entered a small gathering area, and proceeded to our room. First thing we noticed? The hallway is noisy, kind of like a college dormitory: shoes make loud noises on the floor, echoing voices everywhere. Got to our room: looked cool! HOWEVER, lack of sound absorbing materials made most sounds inside sound like they were several decibel higher. Hair dryer sounded like a motorcycle! And the bathroom, well, the way they build them lately shows lack of respect for people's privacy... I mean "sounds" privacy. We ran the shower while we, er, well, you know. In order to watch tv, you HAVE to use the bed because of room configuration. Sleeping was extra difficult 'til after 1 AM due to neighborhood bars' and dance venues' extremely loud noise. Once that stopped, only sounds we heard were from the hallway reverberation.
I know the Aloft chain is geared to a younger crowd, so I guess those of use who are older expect more, like solid construction, sound abatement, and a bit more creature comfort.
Nice try, but this hotel (and I presume this Starwood brand) is not my taste.
*Limited recommendation.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs or sound gereating machine.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rebecca G, Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for stayinig with us. I am sorry that you did not get a good night sleep. It sounds like you had a good time besides the sleep issues. Thank you so much for letting us know. We hope to see you again the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed her for one night while in town for a half marathon. This was my first stay at an Aloft and I enjoyed the experience. I think the atmosphere was cool, but comfortable and functional. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. They gave me an excellent dinner recommendation very close to the hotel. I only had two minor complaints:
- there is valet parking, but it is very expensive...and the driveway is ridiculously small so they frequently have a bunch of cars backed up. I opted for the self parking a block over.
- the doors to the rooms are very heavy, which became very clear to me when several other guests were coming in and out do their rooms at 1 AM and woke me up

In general, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dave W
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear DHWDetroit,

Thsank you for staying with us on your visit. Hope the half marathon went well and you didnt face too many weather challenges since the weather up here has been crazy this year. Thank you for letting us know about your experiences here with us and we appreciate you sharing them. Hopefully we get another opportunity to take care of you, perhaps if you decide to come back to explore the city a little more!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I recently stayed at the a loft hotel downtown Milwaukee. I was very happy about the location of this hotel. It was my first time in a loft hotel. All though I was confused on why there wasn't a free parking lot, I was completely blown away on how great the valet service was. Anthony was amazing! It was so great he helped out with our luggage by running and getting us some sort of cart. we had a heavy load, I noticed that the valet was quit busy even so, He gave us several recommendations on places to eat. We loved Aj bombers he even printed the menu out for us to preview ahead of time. One last shout out goes to Vicki & Bryan @ the front desk. They were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Tripstayadviso2014
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us here in Milwaukee and for giving Aloft a chance to service you. We will make sure to share your comments with the team as they always apprecaite hearing about their efforts! One quick note regarding the parking situation, like most hotels in downtown Milwaukee, we do not have our own parking lot and thus the charge for parking. We understand that it is an extra fee, however with our city restrictions, we were unable to build out a lot.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Aloft is not for everyone. If you read negative reviews, it's most likely due to the fact that people do not like/understand the aesthetics of the brand. It's style is minimalist and modern, it's not plush and swanky. The rooms are designed for solo travelers or intimate companions -- with the shower and bathroom layouts, there's really no privacy. If you know and understand this, then a stay at an Aloft can be really enjoyable.

Every person I came into contact with at this property was extremely helpful and courteous. While the $25 a day charge for valet parking wasn't ideal, their speediness, helpfulness, and politeness made it worth it. They even pointed out a tire issue on my vehicle, which showed me that they actually pay attention to your vehicle. When we returned to the hotel, they would ask if we were planning on leaving again soon. If so, they kept the vehicle out front.

The 24-hour pool is a wonderful amenity, however, we didn't have time to take advantage of it. The hotel is right on the river and the pool area affords some really nice views.

As other reviewers have mentioned, noise is a serious issue at this property. You hear everything -- inside and outside. Outside noise is to be expected in a city, however, the inside noises were annoying. You could hear people in neighboring rooms opening and closing the window shades. You could hear people slam, slam, slamming their doors at all hours of the day and night. The in-room air conditioner sounded like a jet engine each time it kicked on. The walls are so thin that we heard someone sneeze in a neighboring room. My partner said "Bless you" at a relatively low volume and the sneezer replied "Thank you."

I would stay here again because of the convenient location, friendly staff, great amenities, and unique experience I've come to expect and appreciate from the Aloft brand.

Room Tip: City and river view rooms provide nice scenery.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EchoFifth
ryanmiy, General Manager at Aloft Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear echoFifth,

thank you for taking time out to let us know about your experience and also to point out what made your stay and what could have been improved on. We always appreciate feedback of both kinds so that we can share with our team where we shine and where we need to work harder at. Glad to see you like the Aloft brand concept, you are right, the brand itself is not ideal for everyone. We hope to have you back again in the future!