“Nice small hotel with great staff and nice rooms. Valet parking and noise could be an issue.”

Aloft Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #33 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Stayed for the Brewer's vs. Cubs game and it was a Friday night. Upon arrival we did the Valet parking, which is really the only option unless you want to park off site and walk. Right next to the Bradley center and on the River Walk. The hotel is very small and cool. Different than most hotels we have stayed at. The employees from Valet to checkout, bar, etc.. were all super helpful and friendly. Probably some of the nicest hotel staff we have ever encountered. Gave us tips on where to walk (bars very close in a couple of directions) to catch a free shuttle to the game. It was very close and we felt safe even late at night. The Parking... well. This "lot/driveway" is TINY. We parked and did valet and the next day when we went to leave 2 cars were parked and so we were not able to drive around, had to back out into traffic to get out of the little driveway. It also took a while to get our vehicle. I think the guys have to walk over the river and to a different lot to get the vehicles. ALL valet staff was running and working super fast and incredibly friendly. No issues with them at all, just the room here was minimal. Makes their job hard. The courtyard was nice with a fireplace outside and some seating. We sat by the river walk on a bench and enjoyed a beautiful night out with friends. Rooms are small but had everything we needed. Per previous reviews of noise being an issue, we brought ear plugs. I forgot to put mine in and yes it was annoyingly loud. But you are on a busy bar road and it was busy until after 2am. Put some plugs in and sleep well. Bartender was great and made some very tasty drinks! Overall a cool place that would be great for some friends to hang at outside rather than in the bars. Pool is the size of a large hot tub really and the gym is visible from the courtyard. Kinda felt on display when in there. I would rather not have everyone see me workout.. lol. Overall, pretty good stay.

Room Tip: I think every side of this hotel is road or river so noise is probably an issue everywhere.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 August 2017

I was staying in Milwaukee for a little family getaway and friends of ours had recommending the Aloft. When I first got to the hotel, the valet staff was very kind. Margarita was so nice! Monica checked us in and she was extremely helpful. She even gave up free tickets to Germanfest which my kids loved! She was so kind and friendly. Throughout our whole stay the front desk staff, including Monica, were very helpful in suggesting restaurants, things to do, and places to go. They definitely made the experience wonderful for my family.

The only recommendation I have is to put ice machines on the floors! We had two coolers with us and it was a pain to constantly ask the front desk for ice. Not to mention that every time we, or someone else asked, they had to stop what they were doing, put people on hold, and we had to delay our plans to just grab ice. Seems like a pointless hassle for staff and guests if you ask me.

Otherwise, wonderful trip! I will definitely be returning again.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for a courtyard room. It faces away from the street noise
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

This hotel is located downtown, right on the river. The location is close to the bar district and close to the convention center. The room was modern, clean and of good size. The lobby bar was well stocked and hopping the whole time I was there.
That's about the end of the good news. There is no parking near the hotel and not much room to unload luggage. The hotel is valet-only at $27/day. When we checked in, I asked for a convenience kit because TSA denied my toothpaste. The front desk clerk said they didn't have them but they would sell me a tiny travel sized tube for $8! I assumed there would be a store nearby where I could get toothpaste more reasonably priced than that. Wrong. There are no convenience stores or drug store within walking distance of this hotel. Lots of bars, nothing else.
I swallowed my pride out of desperation and returned to the front desk to purchase the $8 travel sized toothpaste only to learn they were sold out.

Food at the hotel was priced similarly to their $8 tiny toothpaste - $10 for a little breakfast sandwich. So you are better served to dine elsewhere.

Now for the worst part - the ceaseless, noise. They are building a new arena nearby and operations seemingly 24/7. The noise from the construction site booms and echoes off the various buildings causing reverberations that shake the room. This noise was going at 11:00 PM and at 6:00 am - on a Sunday. In addition to the construction noise, which will end someday when the arena is complete, the pleasure-craft traffic on the river added to the non-stop noise. These boats revved their loud engines and zipped up and down the river day and night.
I recognize that the noise is not the fault of the hotel operator. I would just want to warn future potential guests. The hotel has location and nice rooms in its favor, but it is hard to sleep in the midst of all of the non-stop noise.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 24 July 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your candid feedback regarding your stay and will certainly look into providing additional amenities for guests in our market. I am also so very sorry that downtown noise was such a concern for you during your recent visit. The sights of downtown life and the Milwaukee River attract crowds and constant activity, but we do offer rooms that would face our interior courtyard that we recommend to guests looking for a quieter stay. We hope that you will give our hotel another chance, and accept our recommendation for a quieter room location so that you can enjoy a restful night's sleep that you deserve.

Sarah Lewis

Reviewed 17 July 2017

I have stayed in a few ALOFT properties and I enjoy their funky atmosphere, cool designs and generally their comfort. This one was located very close to an office I had to visit so I picked it. Its located right on the river which makes for a great walk \ jogging path and its very close to bars \ great restaurants pretty much downtown. The bar in the lobby is great to hang out and the service was very good. The reason I gave it an average score was it feels tired. Rugs dirty, stains in many places, furniture in my room was chipped. Just didn't feel that clean. Also, and more importantly to me, I had a room facing a bridge over the river and the noise from cars and trucks was incredibly loud. Hard to get to sleep and woken up a few times as I am a light sleeper. I was on the 5th floor so I imagine lower rooms would be worse. You could get a room facing the courtyard or the opposite side which might be better. If i was in the area again, it would be 50/50 if I picked this place again.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room by the bridge, court yard facing rooms are better
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 20 July 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are so happy to hear that you loved our staff and location so much. We truly pride ourselves on having a genuine team that is here to take care of our guests and provide such a memorable experience. But we also appreciate your candid feedback regarding our rooms. We understand that being in a downtown location can be noisy at times, with the sounds of city buzzing around, but we certainly have quieter options for our guests, facing the backyard area. We truly hope that will stay with us again soon so that we have another chance to impress you.
-Sarah Lewis, General Manager

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I love this hotel. The location is perfect for walking to all the night life bars, river walk dinner and soo on. Very centrally located to do all types of stuff down town. We had a blast saw the fireworks and eat tons os great food.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 20 July 2017

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

We are so happy that you chose to celebrate with us!