“Best choice for Milwaukee German food”
Review of Kegel's Inn

Kegel's Inn
Ranked #43 of 1,571 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Milwaukee's West Allis neighborhood, Kegel's Inn serves up the most authentic German fare in the area. Inside you'll find a warm atmosphere, friendly service and one of the most beautiful beer halls in the country. With incredible murals, leaded glass, and heavy wooden beams, one can almost hear rounds of "Du Bist Mein Herzen" reverberating in the Bierstube. Since 1924, Kegel's Inn has been the locals' go-to destination for authentic German cuisine and continues to top the charts as one of the best places to catch a Friday Fish Fry in Milwaukee. At Kegel's Inn, everything is made from time honored traditional recipes. Like the rest of our establishment, things haven't changed much since we first opened our doors in 1924. Sure, there may be some new faces, but our steadfast commitment to our customers and our family values keeps our atmosphere warm and inviting, our service fast and neighborly, and our delicious food in accordance to the highest standards of our family lineage. At the end of the day, our goal is that your experience gets better every time you come in. Danke Schön!
Reviewed 20 January 2018

Current best choice for what remains of the Milwaukee heritage of German cuisine in terms of variety, quality and price. The other main downtown restaurant is almost double the price and the others advertising German food are pubs with a couple German entrees and some Wurst. Kegels is the one place to go to show friends the old Milwaukee that still exists.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

I’ve heard such good things about this restaurant that we finally decided to try it and I’m so glad we did. We arrived about ½ hour before our dinner reservation which gave us time for a drink in the bar. I had a good German lager, not too hoppy more like a wheat ale – very tasty. The dinner menu was quite extensive with an obvious emphasis on German fare. I opted for the Roasted Pork Shank. I couldn’t believe my eyes when our server brought out our food. My plate was more like a full size platter with, not one, but two large pork hocks. My sides were sauerkraut and spaetzle. The sauerkraut was very good but the spaetzli was bland. The pork shanks were some of the best I have ever had. Meaty and tender with a nice crispy skin roasted to perfection!!! Mmmmmmm. My wife had the hasenpfeffer served on a bed of spaetzle with gravy. She said it was delicious. Our friends also sampled the German fare and we all thoroughly enjoyed the evening feast. Plenty of great food and gemutlichkeit served here. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Love this place. As good and authentic German food as you can get anywhere in the Metro Milwaukee area. Lots of biers on tap. Excellent mixed drinks. They serve many of the old German standby's: Sauerbraten, beef rouladen, wiener schnitzel, roast duck, sausage platters, etc,, etc. From what I saw during our visit, all done the way you'd want them. Pork shanks are huge.... and you get two. German potato salad, sauerkraut, red cabbage-can't overstate how good they were. There's a well-regarded fish fry on Friday's, but we were there on a Saturday night, so didn't directly observe it. The venue is like an old beer hall with lots of toned wood everywhere and painted murals on the walls. Service by the greeter, bartender, and especially our animated server, Sonia, was friendly and warm. Give the place a try, you won't be disappointed!!

Reviewed 7 January 2018

The combination fish fry plate was very good and a good choice if you are looking to sample a variety of food. the potatoes pancakes are very good, along with the dumpling soup is a great meal.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

Been going here for decades. Run by the 3rd generation and everyone is friendly and efficient. The Friday fishery is a must. Be prepared to wait 3 deep in the bar area as this is a smaller restaurant. But it's worth the wait, Many dishes are skillfully prepared and as German as it gets. Even for Milwaukee. I can honestly say I've never been disappointed at Kegels.