“Best Italian bread and cookies anywhere!”

Peter Sciortino's Bakery
Ranked #2 of 17 Bakeries in Milwaukee
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed 14 February 2017

The bread, rolls ,cookies and cakes are like none anywhere I have travelled. The Italian bread fresh all day long is a real treat. The cookies are second to none.

Reviewed 24 December 2016

I buy a birthday cake here for my mom's birthday every year (she's 95). They also have great Italian cookies and breads.

Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

I went to this bakery on a Friday morning for a turnover and a cup of coffee, there was a huge selection of cookies,cakes, donuts and that sort of thing. I selected a cherry turnover that looked amazing and when I ate it it was amazing! My only negative for the place is that it cost two dollars for a cup of coffee made in a pod machine. The staff was really friendly and there was no wait, all in all… Big win, you should try it.

Reviewed 20 October 2016

I've been a longtime customer of Sciortino's Bakery. I was back in Milwaukee, my hometown, recently, and bought two boxes of cookies - one for my family, and one for a friend who was recently in the hospital. I bought nearly $35 worth of cookies in total.

Sciortino's cookies, in the past, have always been fresh and tasty. This most recent experience was a shock. The cookies tasted stale. I did not discover this until I was back home, which is over 100 miles away from Milwaukee.

My all time favorite Sciortino cookie is a fluffy, soft almond cookie. All these years, I've bought and eaten that cookie, and it has always been soft, fluffy and tasty. This time around, they were hard; so hard that dunking them in coffee or tea did not soften them.

I purchased their coconut macaroons, both vanilla and chocolate; the lemon sandwich cookie, a frosted fig filled cookie, the vanilla and chocolate raspberry sandwich cookie, and others. All of the cookies were stale tasting.

Maybe all these years I've been lucky that I've never had stale cookies from Sciortino's. Or maybe this was a fluke - I don't know.

I am terribly disappointed, not only for myself, but for my friend. I thought I was giving her a wonderful treat to enjoy now that she's out of hospital, but what I ended up doing was delivering a $20 box of stale cookies.

I am willing to give them a try, one more time, to see if the cookies are any better.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

If you want fresh Italian cookies go to the source! While several other stores carry their cookies they are never as fresh as the ones in the bakery here. Also you can pick and choose for your own selection of favorites! At the holiday time you can pre-order, which means in most cases when the store is filled you get to go to the head of a separate line to pick up your order. Last Christmas we ordered chocolate covered cannoli that the family insisted will become a holiday tradition!