“Reliably good food”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

Nice cozy homey atmosphere. Family run restaurant with savory tender ribs, red beans and rice and yummy garlic bread! They offer a variety of other things on the menu like burgers, chicken and a salad bar. If you're looking for good barbecue, I would recommend it.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

We popped in on a Friday night without reservations. We were seated immediately and the waitress took our drink order right away. She was attentive and swift throughout the meal. The barbecue is excellent. The meat was tender and moist and the sauces were great. Two thumbs up!

Reviewed 15 February 2017

We love BBQ so we decided to give this a try. The booths are small and uncomfortable. so if you want extra room, request a table. I was surprised to find that they had a salad bar. There seemed to be an okay variety on it. I ordered the pork butt and my guest ordered the ribs. My favorite thing about my meal was the fries. Neither of cared for the sauce selection. We ended up taking our meat with us and stopping at a local grocery store and getting some Sweet Baby Ray's.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

Fat Jack's is a must stop for us when we are in the Madison, WI area. We have gone there probably 6-8 times over the past 14-16 years.

Fat Jack's staff is always friendly and efficient. The food is plentiful and tasty. Prices for dinners range from about $10-15. You can order ala carte; they do have sandwiches. Last night I had the Cajun Catfish (yum yum); my husband had pulled pork. Sides can include cole slaw, fries, red beans and rice, garlic bread, hush puppies. Some of the dinners include a basic salad bar. We never have room for dessert.

Beer drinkers, be happy. The beer and ale list is extensive, including many local brews like Capitol Brewery and New Glarus.

Access is easy off Monona Drive; parking is plentiful, although a bit of a squeeze in places.

Decor is eclectic Wisconsin, sports stuff, Wisconsin Dells stuff; your eyes have lots to take in while you have a short wait for your hearty meal.

Reviewed 3 December 2016

At the end of a difficult day, we were driving around looking for a place to eat in Madison. We picked a couple of places and one had closed and the other was fancier than we wished to dine. So driving a little further and not sure where we were, we ended up driving past Fat Jack's Barbeque in Monona. It looked busy but gave it a try. Not a lot of seats left but we were seated right away. Our young waitress got us drinks right away but did not come back right away. That was okay because I was having a difficult time deciding what to eat. I ended up getting the Friday Night Special of the Full Rack of Ribs for just $19.99. Way more than I could eat and took much of them home in a to-go box. I have read a complaint about the slaw being the worst ever. But I thought it was very good. It was made with an apple vinegar which gave it a unique taste and it my book it was better than most creamy cole slaws others serve. It was a recipe of one of the waitress' mother from years gone by and another restaurant. so if you like yours creamy then don't order it. But then do and be adventurous. The ribs were good and very meaty, although they were not the most moist, more like on the dryer side. Beans had a very nice flavor, nothing fancy, just tasty. My wife ordered their barbeque chicken. Had a nice smoky flavor, but it, too, was on the dryer side. Another waitress also attended our table and she was very nice and friendly. Maybe it was because she was more experienced. Ours did not know what to do when we checked out. The price had been marked wrong, and she apparently could not add fast enough, so she just told the cashier "whatever, just give it to him" and stormed away. The cashier (lead waitress?0) easily figured the mistake out and we paid the correct amount. Not a big deal to me, but the younger waitress has a lot to learn about how to treat their guests. Needs a more positive attitude and learn to go with the flow more. It won't stop me from coming back to this popular place.