“budget”
Review of Timber Inn Motel

Timber Inn Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Phillips
Reviewed 11 September 2017

So I see a lot of people slamming this hotel. I say you get what you pay for. We didn't want to spent a lot since we where just passing through and at $66 it was just what we where looking for. Yes, it is the same as when we stayed here 25 years ago, but it was clean and thats all we where in need of.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2017

The room is very outdated. The Sliding door curtains did not even touch the floor by 6 inches and there were holes all over the curtains. The WIFI was terrible! They advertise high speed WiFI but it's a joke. The room smelled old and musty. The carpet had stains all over. The tub and sink did not even drain properly.. they filled with water and did not drain fast enough to keep up with the running water like normal drains do. The TV picture was terrible and very limited channels. The only sink was in the main part of the room, not the bathroom and was all cracked and old. The lights didn't work properly and one lamp didn't even have a light bulb in it. The air conditioner ran continuously and never shut off when reached the proper temperature. I guess you get what you pay for when you pay less. Even at that, they charged me more than the single rate posted on the door. Unless you like old stuff, musty smells and dirty carpets, and uncomfortable beds, then I do no recommend this place at all!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

Pros:
Motel-quality clean - That's when you leave your shoes on as much as possible but you don't feel the urge to run and get your shots updated.
Lovely view of the lake.
Walking distance to most of town.

Cons:
You'll wonder if you actually have a reservation or not. I'll explain: I booked my room through Expedia and shortly after I made the original reservation I changed that reservation to arrive a day later than originally planned. The day I was originally scheduled to arrive, I called the Timber Inn late in the evening to make sure they had gotten the update from Expedia. After explaining several different ways (language barrier) I was told that there was no record of my reservation AT ALL. (Had I not been staying there with family who had also booked rooms, I would have booked elsewhere right then.) I called Expedia and they called the Timber Inn about 30 min after I had been on the phone with the Timber Inn but the motel employees didn't answer. (No night desk clerk and they get cranky when you don't call during normal daytime hours.) The next morning I picked up family in Minneapolis early in the morning. While I was waiting at the airport for them, I called Expedia who again tried the motel. Expedia talked to a very rude woman who said that I had a reservation starting the previous night but hadn't shown up. What?! When I arrived at the motel, the lady at the desk tried to charge me for the extra night until she finally agreed, after I showed her the confirmation of the date change from Expedia, to not charge me the extra night.
2nd reason you'll wonder if you have a reservation: Members of my family booked rooms by calling. They were told they didn't have reservations until they went through the motel's reservation papers one by one until they found their phone numbers listed but with names that were either only slight similar or not even remotely close to their names.
Limited privacy - The hotel staff didn't knock before walking into the rooms. Some rooms had do not disturb tags to hang and some didn't.
Bathroom - I'm only 5'7" and had to do yoga moves to get my head under the super low shower head in my room. The hot water heater couldn't keep up so you could tell when too many other motel guests had showered before you because your shower was pretty cool.
Noise - My stay was over 4th of July. After the town's fireworks show, children, I assume they were the owner's children, were setting off firecrackers just outside the hotel lobby. I had to walk through the only partially mowed lawn to get to the far staircase to get up to my room then the noise continued for another half hour.

Moral of the story: Don't stay here unless you're comfortable with potentially not having a room. If you must stay, call the hotel (rather than use a booking website) but be ready to decipher to identify your reservation.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank srpilch
Reviewed 30 June 2017

I have no idea who is writing decent reviews for this property. I travel often across the Midwest. This place is a dump. Owned by folks from outside the U.S.. The owner behind the desk was drunk when I checked in at 5pm. His wife was helpful and did great but the rooms are really bad from wall to wall. There really is no "breakfast" as it indicates, like a toaster with bread and dry cereal. They are just ripping people off.
I wouldn't stay here for free. Hope this gets posted because it is very true.

Room Tip: My tip: don't stay here.